Old 05-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Isleton, CA
bilge pumps

I have 5 electric on three batteries, one manual. I also keep a can of roofing
tar, one of slickseam, and assorted wooden plugs and battons.

Luckily I have never needed anything beyond the bilge pumps..

I have a wooden boat.
Bill Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #42

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Bridaus
Here is how my KK42 is configured for pumping:

1. Forward compartment has a 1,000 gal/hr pump. The bulkhead is solid so this compartment is not connected to other parts of the bilge.
2. There is no bilge pump in the centre compartment and it drains to the engine room.
3. The engine compartment has a pump in the sump below the stuffing box. This is a diaphragm pump w a check valve. There is also a 1000 gal/hr pump under the engine, which is never used because of the diaphragm pump in the sump - unless there is a very bad leak. I also have a raw water intake bypass to the sump so could use the engine raw water pump by shutting off the thru hull and opening the line to the sump (have never tried this).
4. The lazarette drains to the engine compartment and has no pump.

I have lights at the helm that come on when a pump comes on but generally would never notice them. I am going install an alarm on the forward compartment pump and on the high engine room pump as these two really should never come on. If they do, I have a serious problem.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54
3 12 v bilge pumps and 1 120 v pump. Oh and shower pumps for what it’s worth.

Paul
Sangraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #44

City: Northport
I have two. They are Jabsco Utility Puppy 3000 units, mounted out of the bilge with two switches in the bilge. (One lower than the other). Gets me 20 gallons a minute.

Two is typical, but I put a Y valve in my water intake with a strum box down in the bilge. (I run a small 26 downeast groverbuilt, That has an access plate in the deck where I can access the Y valve easily). Sort of a SHTF bilge pump using the raw water pump as a pump. If things got that bad, and the two other pumps were not keeping up, I’d throw the Y valve in a last ditch attempt to de-water the boat.
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #45

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
KK42 is my focus, but this might be fun for the whole forum...

I have two confirmed (and labeled on the bridge/panel), but I feel there is a third emergency (I know, "feel", but the PO didn't know anything about the boat, so I've had to discover many things myself.

My aft is in the deep well behind the engine. The front one I only know by the through hull and it running about once a day, I haven't found it yet, but haven't looked hard yet.

We have a total of eight bilge pumps (the 6 shown in the Pic plus another in the locker in the swim grid) plus a whale gulper shower sump pump and an stb engine-driven emergency bilge pump is designed to use engine water pump to pull selectively from any bilge.

We keep two spare rule units and a spare gulper onboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	88552
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #46

City: Alameda, CA
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Model: Krogen 39
Bilge Pumps

Your KK42 could have 4 bilge pumps.
Our KK39 has 4. One forward that the chain locker drains into and is located under the floor beneath the bed.
Number 2 is located beneath the hatch that accesses your plumbing.
Number three is in the engine room.
Number 4 is in the lazarette.
ceherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Merebeth
Vessel Model: 1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
I have 4 in rib separated compartments and 2 shower sumps. They are sized assuming the largest thruhull I have falls out in their area. I assume the combined reserve ability can handle any minor hull breaches as well. Here's an easy table I use found Googling.
Attached Thumbnails
Flooding.jpg  
hpogue123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #48

City: Oakdale NY
Vessel Name: Into The Blue
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 43
Bilge Pumps

Have 3 - Forward, Mid and Aft - all with float switches. These also all have a switch at the helm. I have one more high water in the engine room (below the engines) with a float switch and alarm.

For extreme emergency, my sea water intakes to the engines have a hose and strainer to the engine floor and the valve can be changed from pumping sea water in to pumping water out through the engine raw water pumps.
IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #49

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Vagabond
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
On my wooden Grand Banks 42 I have a total of 4 bilge pumps. Two 2000g/h 12v, 1 1200g/h 12v, 1 4000g/h 120v. Also have a bilge alarm set up on a separate float switch. Can't remember for sure on the size but I think the two shower sumps have 600g/h pumps. With everything running I could pump 10400g/h less head pressure losses.
ReefDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #50
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpogue123 View Post
I have 4 in rib separated compartments and 2 shower sumps. They are sized assuming the largest thruhull I have falls out in their area. I assume the combined reserve ability can handle any minor hull breaches as well. Here's an easy table I use found Googling.
I did some quick rough calc's and verified those numbers in the Table with Q=K(root P) and an estimated K factor for the hull openings. They are pipe flow formulas, but probably within range .433 psi/foot adds to the water flow quite a bit with only a 4 ft. depth change.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #51
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpogue123 View Post

Damn. That chart is pretty eye opening. I think I can handle a 1.5” hole 2’ under water, but anything bigger than that and I would be in trouble.

I bought an emergency 110V trash pump that I can (hopefully) quickly deploy into my bilge— it’s 65 GPM. It requires the generator to run so I would have to get it in place fast before the generator area gets flooded.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote