Old 02-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #41

City: Jacksonville, Florida
Vessel Name: The Boardroom
Vessel Model: 1983 Marine Trader Labelle 43
Good luck with it all and so sorry for your loss. Wife and I lost our home in Irma, flooded. So, we decided to build a new home and purchased a Marine Trader Labelle Sundeck 43 and docked it behind the house and we now live on that whilst we begin to build a new home on the lot. Losing stuff is an adventure, it hurts but you can always get more stuff, and now you live on a BOAT! that is the way we look at it anyway. The cats just wish we were back in the house. They are slowly becoming boat cats.

BTW, the FLA limit on sales tax is like the first 18K I think. mine was not that bad, I live in Duval which is 7%. Writing it off as we used to run our business from the house, now we run it from "The Boardroom".
Howard Arner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: First Light
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
I'm in the same situation. Just retired and a Rhode Island resident, but planning to sell the house here and travel on the boat I'm in the process of buying. I plan to initially document and register (yes, RI requires registration sticker in addition to documentation) in RI and will not have a sales tax initially. Once I reach Florida next winter I plan to establish residency there to avoid RI income tax and pay the $18K sales/use tax to Florida for the big boat and whatever it takes for both dinghies. I believe this makes everyone happy and everything is above board. The savings in RI income tax will pay for the sales tax in Florida in a little over two years.
mattinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selidster View Post
Yes she is a KK42, hull #16.

Not sure if she was there or not.
The previous owner moved her South around the fall of 2015 or so. Believe I saw her at Palm Coast Marina in February of 2016 while visiting a friend their.

Hope you enjoy her!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #44
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinri View Post
...Once I reach Florida next winter I plan to establish residency there to avoid RI income tax and pay the $18K sales/use tax to Florida for the big boat and whatever it takes for both dinghies....
EIGHTEEN THOUSAND?! Yikes, see, right there, that's why these discussions about taxes and registration and home ports and time in X state's waters keep breaking out on this forum over and over again. I just paid my $26 federal doc renewal (which isn't even necessary for me for now but what the heck, it's more nautical, arrr matey) and a couple months ago I paid my $40 state reg. Peanuts, chump change, I paid more for a new thermistor in my refrigerator last season. There's no point fretting or jumping somersaults trying to avoid piddly registration fees, but $18K in taxes (sales or property or use), now that's worth some somersaulting. Sheesh, my boat may be a popsicle on jackstands right now but at least there are no taxes like that here.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
EIGHTEEN THOUSAND?! Yikes, see, right there, that's why these discussions about taxes and registration and home ports and time in X state's waters keep breaking out on this forum over and over again. I just paid my $26 federal doc renewal (which isn't even necessary for me for now but what the heck, it's more nautical, arrr matey) and a couple months ago I paid my $40 state reg. Peanuts, chump change, I paid more for a new thermistor in my refrigerator last season. There's no point fretting or jumping somersaults trying to avoid piddly registration fees, but $18K in taxes (sales or property or use), now that's worth some somersaulting. Sheesh, my boat may be a popsicle on jackstands right now but at least there are no taxes like that here.
So it's cheaper to own a boat you can't use half the year. It would be even cheaper to not own one at all. Most people aren't in South Dakota. $18k is the maximum sales tax in FL, which is on a $300,000 boat. Same on a $30 million boat. Less than nearby states and no property tax on a boat, no income tax.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Trinidad, CA, USA
Vessel Name: Lemonade
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 016
Palm coast is where I bought her. She was literally only used a few hours the whole time she has been there. Not anymore, we're going cruising. ��
Selidster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #47
Veteran Member

You all have been super helpful. Heading back to Palm Coast, FL where she is moored in a couple weeks. Bought the extension from the state so I have another four months to sort it all. I appreciate the comments. Thanks all.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #48

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: Wolfhound
Vessel Model: 210 Cobalt bowrider
See an experienced tax lawyer or CPA who's well-acquainted with boating matters. Tax evasion is unlawful, but tax avoidance -- arranging one's affairs so as to legitimately minimize taxation is rational and wholly lawful.
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #49

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
Establish residency in SD and then cruise all over.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #50
Veteran Member

That actually the plan, and I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #51
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
You might consider California. Yes I said California. If it is CG registered, you do not register in California. If the boat can be documented as being used out of the state for 180 days of the first year, you can apply for a sales/use tax exemption, once granted this exemption is permanent, even if you later bring the boat to California. The county listed will likely try to get property tax, but if the boat isn't there tell them so and you don't owe any.

Each state additionally has laws about how long you are allowed to keep it there before taxes are assessed. Some of them quite grabby. Pay attention to the jurisdiction and keep moving. I've owned the current sailboat for 10 years, have paid $0.00 in taxes, all completely legal. CG reg costs $25 each year - that's it.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home port, registration, taxes