Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 AM   #21
Guru

City: Langley, BC
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
At least some states require registration even on documented boats. Washington State requires the same registration on both documented and undocumented boats. The sole difference is that registration numbers are not displayed on documented boats (although the annual registration sticker is displayed ).

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #22
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Agree that we need to get the terminology clear. "Home port" is a specific term, used by the Coast Guard, to identify your boat. It must be painted on the boat, along with the name. It does not have to have any relationship at all to where you live, where the boat lives, where you keep the boat, or anything else like that. It is -- for all practical purposes -- a random location.

That's why you need to be clear what you're talking about, especially if you use the term "home port" to refer to anything other than the location that you have painted on your boat, and that you used when documenting it with the USCG.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #23
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
At least some states require registration even on documented boats. Washington State requires the same registration on both documented and undocumented boats. The sole difference is that registration numbers are not displayed on documented boats (although the annual registration sticker is displayed ).
Same with Florida.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #24
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Selidster, Check out the Tennessee river area for your home port. Fresh water, marinas with covered docks, and access to salt water in days. Very reasonable dockage rates, (live aboards welcomed ),boat registration fee’s. Also your boat insurance cost will be better out of the hurricane areas.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #25

City: Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Selidster, Check out the Tennessee river area for your home port. Fresh water, marinas with covered docks, and access to salt water in days. Very reasonable dockage rates, (live aboards welcomed ),boat registration fee’s. Also your boat insurance cost will be better out of the hurricane areas.
There are two nice marinas on Pickwick Lake at the Tennessee and Mississippi boarder. Good river cruising. No state income tax in Tennessee. Mississippi has state income tax only on earned income in Mississippi, so no income tax on retirement funds, out of state pension, or Social Security.

From Pickwick Lake is a short jaunt down the Tenn-Tom to and from the Gulf.
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:45 AM   #26
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Your on the east coast.
Bahamas in summer, New England in winter.

I really liked Rhode Island while we had the boat there for half a year in Providence.

Check it out.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:34 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selidster View Post
I recently bought Georgia Girl hull #16.
Just curious if Georgia Girl is a 42 Krogen? There was one with that name on the hard at Scott's Cove Marina in Chance, MD while I was refitting my boat in 2015 - 2016. I talked to the owner a few times.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #28
Guru

City: Belgium
selidster it sounds like you're in a good position financially, either retired or able to work remotely. So you're basically asking what is the best water-front State to live in? So you can consider many factors when deciding:
  • State income tax free? (Texas, Florida, Tenn., etc)
  • Sales tax (State + city)
  • Cost of living in general
  • Weather
  • Marina fees
  • Quality of life (cultural activities, big mega malls, quietness, etc.)
If you just want to have no sales tax on your boat, then consider Alabama. Document your boat as commercial and pickup a cheap license from the State as a mussel-collector or something, and you're exempt.

You can also consider becoming an expat. I've been for more than a decade. There are tax and legal issues to consider, but if you're planning on traveling overseas extensively, then there are advantages.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #29
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Only if it is within the $10,000 federal limit for sales and local taxes- courtesy of the new Trump tax law.

David
ALL taxes combined have that limit (Sch A), on personal returns. Business is not affected.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You're tossing around a dangerous two words that have many varied meanings and that is "home port." Let's try some different terms if you don't mind with specific meanings. You need two things which may or may not come together.

1. A state of residence. Although you don't have a home right now, for legal purposes you do, the State of California remains your state of residence.

2. A principle location for your boat. The place you keep it most and decide to register it and pay taxes on it.

These may or may not be the same. For example if you docked your boat in FL today but didn't change your legal residence then they'd be 1. California and 2. Florida. On the other hand, if you moved your legal residence to St. Brendan's Isle and kept your boat in Charleston, then they'd be 1. Florida and 2. South Carolina. None of this is "home port."
BandB,

If one did the St. Brendan's Isle for their personal address, they would still be liable for state use tax on the boat, regardless of where it was kept, correct? That's the way I read the statues. So, perhaps not a good choice.

Are the other "addresses" similar to St. Brendan's Isle, in more friendly states, that offer as much? I know one could get a private PO box most anywhere, but there are holes in doing that.

So, perhaps good advise for Selidster would be to find a state that has no personal income tax and a state for the boat that has no property tax, no boat use tax. Not sure where that would be.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
BandB,

If one did the St. Brendan's Isle for their personal address, they would still be liable for state use tax on the boat, regardless of where it was kept, correct? That's the way I read the statues. So, perhaps not a good choice.

Are the other "addresses" similar to St. Brendan's Isle, in more friendly states, that offer as much? I know one could get a private PO box most anywhere, but there are holes in doing that.

So, perhaps good advise for Selidster would be to find a state that has no personal income tax and a state for the boat that has no property tax, no boat use tax. Not sure where that would be.
Yes, two entirely separate issues are your personal residency and the location of your boat. As to the boat, he should figure out where he wants to use and keep it. Then see the tax situation.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Stamford Ct
Vessel Name: Salty Lady
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
BandB have it right according to my location. I live in NY but keep the boat in Ct.
I bought the bougt the boat in MD, paid the 5+ percent sales tax to MD, then moved the boat 9 months later to Ct. After 90 days I sent in my registration app to Ct, paid the fee, and received my Reg. To be clear, the registration is due to the state where the vessel is used for 60-90 days (read docked). No additional sales tax was requested. Note the vessel is documented, but a “usage fee” for the registration is still required. Ct gets $365 per year, my Maryland was $28.
Dcbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
That's easy. No contest. South Dakota. My annual state registration is $40 per year. We don't really care if you actually live here, and we don't care if you keep the boat here. Thousands of RV'ers do the same thing. And I think we just passed New York for the largest amount of trust funds domiciled here, literally in the trillions. (On the other hand, most other states take a keen financial interest in where you keep your boat. Even Nebraska on the far side of the Missouri River makes tax collection noises if we South Dakotans spend too much time on their shore...)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
There’s only one home port for every boat.

That’s where she’s moored and where she most often comes to port.
It has all to do w the boat and nothing to do w where the owner lives. It’s where the boat lives.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #35
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
The odd variation to all this is a boat that doesn't have a single place of use, docking, or mooring. A certain number of cruising boats move around on a regular basis, and don't have anything that resembles a principal place of use. Our boat was like that, and the next one will be too.

In that case where do you register, and who's laws do you follow?

For our last boat we picked our state of residency, but the boat never came within 2500 miles of it. But it seemed a slightly better answer than randomly drawing a state out of a hat. As far as the boat's concerned, and where we used it, there was no compelling reason to pick any one state over another. So under those circumstances, why not pick one that is logistically and financially favorable? Companies do it all the time when setting up their headquarters.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The odd variation to all this is a boat that doesn't have a single place of use, docking, or mooring. A certain number of cruising boats move around on a regular basis, and don't have anything that resembles a principal place of use. Our boat was like that, and the next one will be too.

In that case where do you register, and who's laws do you follow?

For our last boat we picked our state of residency, but the boat never came within 2500 miles of it. But it seemed a slightly better answer than randomly drawing a state out of a hat. As far as the boat's concerned, and where we used it, there was no compelling reason to pick any one state over another. So under those circumstances, why not pick one that is logistically and financially favorable? Companies do it all the time when setting up their headquarters.
Works fine if you don't intend to exceed the time requiring registration elsewhere, whether 60 or 90 days depending on the state. We registered one boat in FL nearly a year before it ever saw Florida and another months before. However, we knew FL was their ultimate destination.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #37

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Rhode Island. Very boat friendly. Plus my KK is headed there and they can be friends.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Rhode Island. Very boat friendly. Plus my KK is headed there and they can be friends.
You're right, next best state after South Dakota for boats. In fact we took formal delivery of our boat out of Somerset well over the state line into RI to avoid ridiculous Mass sales taxes, although we were probably way overly cautious and no one would have really known the difference. Married to a lawyer...
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Home Port

If you are going to live on the boat, why not Port it in Florida and live here. Saving yourself Cs income tax? We have none. There are Nice Marinas in The Jacksonville area that are pretty safe from hurricanes and you have immediate access to the ICW. Bahamas and Keys to the South, Outer Banks to the North.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Trinidad, CA, USA
Vessel Name: Lemonade
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 016
Yes she is a KK42, hull #16.

Not sure if she was there or not.
Selidster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home port, registration, taxes