Old 11-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #1

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
Cored Hull KK

Didn't KK discontinuebuilding cored hulls at some point? If so, when might that have been. I can't seem to find an answer to this simple question, though I know it must be out there. And it would seem to me that if they did discontinue the practice, would that have solve many of the problems caused by water ingress into the hull core. I admire the boats, but am wary of a cored hull. Thanks in advance.
Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: washington DC
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: We Need One!
I believe it was the early to mid 90s. We surveyed one. Don't think the hull is so much the issue as are the decks. The hulls w/ cored w/ closed foam that does provide sound and temperature insulation. Our surveyor (and others) lamented the deck issues but didn't see many issues hull wise. The one we surveyed hadn't had decent maintenance or re-bedding of stanchions or other through deck anchor points.
proudsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
How about contacting the manufacturer ?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:52 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Krogen stopped coring below the waterline in 1993. Before then, the core material owas pvc. Not perfect but better than balsa. There have been reports of some delaminate with the cored hulls however itís easy to detect during a survey.

We we sold our 1987 KK42 in 2021. We had no issues with delamination or moisture in the core. As part of the survey, the hull was thermally imaged. We did have a small area above the water that had moisture by a sink drain that was not bedded correctly from day one but that was it.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote