Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Can I afford a KK42?

Hello all,
I'm really liking just about everything about the Krogen 42. It's the perfect size, pilothouse up, full displacement, soft chine, covered cockpit, flybridge... It's everything I've ever wanted in a boat. It's even lovely to look at.

Now comes the question... Would it be reasonable to expect to find one in good shape for under 200 grand? My budget isn't very firm yet, as I'd be selling out and all, but I think it's pretty close.

I currently own a 24 year old boat, and there's always something wrong with the damned thing. That's what worries me, I guess. Just about all of the KK42s in my price range are even OLDER than my boat. I know there's no such thing as a perfect boat. I certainly expect to have to work to maintain whatever I end up with. But I don't want a handy man special fixer upper...

I told you guys I had lots of stupid questions!!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
A few months ago there were a half a dozen available, now all gone. Yes, they were less than 200k. There are some available on the west coast if you want to make it a voyage.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
1982 Kadey Krogen Pilothouse Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Guru

Classifieds - Krogen Cruisers
Old 09-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

Now comes the question... Would it be reasonable to expect to find one in good shape for under 200 grand? My budget isn't very firm yet, as I'd be selling out and all, but I think it's pretty close.

So long as you understand the purchase price is only the ante to buy a seat in the game.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
So long as you understand the purchase price is only the ante to buy a seat in the game.
Yup. That is the "gotcha!" that many people just do not seem to grasp. My own rule of thumb (having had several boats) is to put aside an equal amount as the purchase price (of course I am talking about used boats, never having been able to afford a new one). This has worked pretty well so far. So if I want to buy a $50K boat then there is also another $50K in the savings account. If it does not get used, then so much the better. But some of it always get used!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Yup. That is the "gotcha!" that many people just do not seem to grasp. My own rule of thumb (having had several boats) is to put aside an equal amount as the purchase price (of course I am talking about used boats, never having been able to afford a new one). This has worked pretty well so far. So if I want to buy a $50K boat then there is also another $50K in the savings account. If it does not get used, then so much the better. But some of it always get used!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
$200,000 seems in the ballpark, perhaps not with a wing engine or active stabilizers. Depending on what you are planning on doing you may not need them.

One caveat, if you want a feature on the boat it will be cheaper to find one with the feature already installed then to add it yourself. Generator, dinghy lift, stabilizers, wing engine, heaters, 12 volt refrigeration are examples.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Also, take a look at the layouts. They do vary a bit. Bill Harris over at Krogen is a very patient, non-pushy type of guy that I would use to scout-out such a vessel. Plus, he knows all the pitfalls and changes in the boats over the years. The 42' bought right is about as right as you can buy a boat. Southwest Florida Trawlers has one they rent if you want to get a feel for how the boat performs.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
There are some available on the west coast if you want to make it a voyage.
That's the idea!

I saw that one the other day. That price strikes me as being 'probably too good to be true.' Also the phrase "some updating needed" scared me a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I have caught myself thinking "wow, this one's only 150K! I can afford that!" haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
$200,000 seems in the ballpark, perhaps not with a wing engine or active stabilizers. Depending on what you are planning on doing you may not need them.

One caveat, if you want a feature on the boat it will be cheaper to find one with the feature already installed then to add it yourself. Generator, dinghy lift, stabilizers, wing engine, heaters, 12 volt refrigeration are examples.
I think more consideration is needed in regards to what I'm going to do with her. I have some nebulous plans in my head, and some general ideas of places I'd like to visit, but no real clear direction yet.
Good to know about the optional equipment pricing. That makes sense. Same with a car, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Also, take a look at the layouts. They do vary a bit. Bill Harris over at Krogen is a very patient, non-pushy type of guy that I would use to scout-out such a vessel. Plus, he knows all the pitfalls and changes in the boats over the years. The 42' bought right is about as right as you can buy a boat. Southwest Florida Trawlers has one they rent if you want to get a feel for how the boat performs.
I may have to look into that. It would be great to take one for a test drive sometime. A broker would definitely help, too.

Thanks for the replies, gang!!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Wayfarer,

1. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the closest to buying), how close are you to being able to make this purchase?

2. On a scale of 1-10, how far is your intended use of this vessel defined in your mind (and that of your SO)?

3. The only way to know a boat is to look at it first hand and have it professionally surveyed. On a scale of 1-10, how close are you to being able to do that?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Hello all, . But I don't want a handy man special fixer upper... :
The KK 42 has some great attributes. But be aware of those older ones that can have wet saturated hulls due to compromised composite laminates below the waterline. This construction method was abandoned by KK about a third of the way through their construction run.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Wayfarer,

1. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the closest to buying), how close are you to being able to make this purchase?

2. On a scale of 1-10, how far is your intended use of this vessel defined in your mind (and that of your SO)?

3. The only way to know a boat is to look at it first hand and have it professionally surveyed. On a scale of 1-10, how close are you to being able to do that?
1/3. I'm at about a 1 on that scale. Honestly, the thought that this was even a possibility only popped into my head about a week ago. I'm very much in the preliminary stages. I haven't set foot on a single boat yet, and I'd still need to sell the house etc.. It will be a couple of years before I'd be able to make a move. Much thinking and soul searching to be done.

2. As far as intended use is concerned, I'm at about a 5. I know I'll be spending the majority of my time in near coastal situations, with a healthy dose of Great Lakes and Canals. I do want the capability to take longer trips, and for that purpose, I've benchmarked Bermuda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The KK 42 has some great attributes. But be aware of those older ones that can have wet saturated hulls due to compromised composite laminates below the waterline. This construction method was abandoned by KK about a third of the way through their construction run.
I'm hoping to avoid those early foam cored hulls. If I find one that's otherwise perfect, and the hull seems to be in good shape, It wouldn't be a deal breaker.

When I was looking for my current boat, I fell in love with an old Wellcraft. It had the right engines, a great layout, and looked really clean and well taken care of. I called in the surveyor and he informed me that the hull was soft and soggy, and the stringers were rotten. I never would have known. I dodged a bullet with that one. Turns out it was a chronic problem with those boats.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #14
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
If you haven't spent time on one of these boats, you might consider chartering one. I was all but convinced the KK 42 was the boat for us based on countless hours reading about them, touring them at rendezvous, taking short trips on the boats owned by generous owners, etc. While I still like and admire them a ton, it took a 5-day charter in Florida to understand that it wasn't the boat for us. The charter taught us we wanted twins over a single, a walk-in, vs a drop-down engine room and a center-line queen vs a Pullman berth (which is relatively hard to find on a KK 42). Chartering was probably the best $X,000 we spent.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Hello all,
I'm really liking just about everything about the Krogen 42. It's the perfect size, pilothouse up, full displacement, soft chine, covered cockpit, flybridge... It's everything I've ever wanted in a boat. It's even lovely to look at.

I currently own a 24 year old boat, and there's always something wrong with the damned thing. That's what worries me, I guess. Just about all of the KK42s in my price range are even OLDER than my boat. I know there's no such thing as a perfect boat. I certainly expect to have to work to maintain whatever I end up with. But I don't want a handy man special fixer upper...

I told you guys I had lots of stupid questions!!
You sound much like me a few years ago.
We had a budget and maybe 10% more but not much else.
YOu can make it work if you want to.

What everyone dsaid below is also sound advice, a few key points from my viewpoint:
1. Pretty much two layouts with one or two heads, figure out what works for you.
2. The older boats, early 80's, do have issues, we pretty much decided that the difference in money did not make up for the added risk. Also it turns out that greater than 25 years old may be an issue with insurance.
3. Your budget is your budget, if you find a great boat for 190, leaving you only 10k in reserve, I'd do it. But what's important here is that you know what you want and can live without.
4. 12v Fridge/freezer ended up costing less than $2500 and totally transformed electrical use on boat. I should have done it first thing. Adding 4 solar panels for $500+500 install also.
5. Try to get a boat that was used as you will use it. We spent more money because we were going to live on it and take it across ocean. had the PO been living on it, it may have been better in the long run for us.
6. Even after we had settled on KK42 two head, 1987 to 1989, we kept looking at other boats, it really helped to confirm our decision.
7. you must plan on some sort of stabilization unless you never take it out of the ICW, but it that's the case, why spend money on a KK.

Ladyhawke, owned my Dick & Lynne Davenport, was in upstate NY near you.
I think it was sold last year, but it was the one of the best boats we ever saw.

email me and I'll be happy to help.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Holy moly, buy that one up on the Great Lakes while you have a chance. You can't beat freshwater boats. Don't think-DO!!

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #17
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Southwest Florida Yachts doesn't show a KK-42 for charter. Any others out there?
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Southwest Florida Yachts doesn't show a KK-42 for charter. Any others out there?
Sorry about that. I've read several accounts of persons renting the 42 from them. Guess they must have taken it off the list. Too bad,,,,they also had a KK Manatee some years ago. The last account I read of the 42 did indicate there were some issues that needed to be resolved before leaving the dock, but they are usually operator misunderstandings. These rentals often run aground and are sometimes damaged. I never felt that the 42 was a good candidate for renters unfamiliar with the shallow cruising waters around here, but then again, when its new territory with an unexperienced crew, there might not be anything shallow enough.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Wayfarer

Opinions may differ but the Krogen 42's best use is as a long range live aboard. Marina hopping in the Great Lakes is not a good use for the boat. Bermuda, the Bahamas or even living on the Chesapeake Bay is ideal. (PNW of course.)

Thus decide what you plan to do with the boat and if it works a Krogen 42 is a wonderful boat for living aboard at anchor and cruising.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #20

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Out of the Blue
Vessel Model: Halverson 36
"But be aware of those older ones that can have wet saturated hulls due to compromised composite laminates below the waterline"

Could you tell me a bit more about this and when did KK quit using that method of laying up fiber glass
ootb is offline   Reply With Quote