Bought a Kadey Krogen 54

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Keith. Maybe you'll still allow us to attend the BW Rendezvous as a "special guest"? ;)

We're not actively marketing the BW yet, but two parties have expressed strong interest. We'll see what happens and I'll do my best to connect whoever is the next owner with you and the PNW BW crew.

Krogen Owners Group

Well done.

https://kadeykrogenowners.org/

Here the link to your new home. This is a great, welcoming group. A yearly rendezvous usually in Anacortes is not to be missed. These boats take their guests far and wide.
I hope to meet up on the water. Come on over and say ‘hello’.

Mike
Voyager kk42 #104

Hi Steve,
Congrats on your new (to you) Krogen!!!
Our very good boating friends from Seattle have owned a KK 54 for years now. In the summer of 2018, we buddy boated with them most of the summer up the BC coast to the Alaska border. Great trip, good friends, and good times. We rafted to them most every night. Obviously, I am quite familar with their boat, and I agree completely, WHAT A BOAT! They are members of the SYC, the MTOA, the KK group, etc. and could be a great source of info for you. Their boat is named LivLife.
Let us know what you are going to name her, and maybe our paths will cross up here in Canada.
All the best,

Tom

I'm a bit jealous, but it is too much boat for me. :blush:

Beautiful boat. We were on one about 10 or so years ago. a guy and his wife had just bought it and were going to cruise the world. Good luck.
John

Thanks all! We’ve joined the KK Owners group and look forward to meeting and learning from other KK owners, especially other 54 owners. Two 54 owners have already been incredibly generous with their time and very helpful as we navigated the purchase process. It’s clearly a family (cult) and we’re excited to be part of it all.

We plan to rename her Fortitude (or as my friends say ‘Big Fortitude’).

Can we go get her yet????????

Thanks all! We’ve joined the KK Owners group and look forward to meeting and learning from other KK owners, especially other 54 owners. Two 54 owners have already been incredibly generous with their time and very helpful as we navigated the purchase process. It’s clearly a family (cult) and we’re excited to be part of it all.

We plan to rename her Fortitude (or as my friends say ‘Big Fortitude’).

"Gran Fortaleza"

:thumb:

‘Now with 60% more fortitude!’
Even more fortituder!
Fortitude AF

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Krogen community!

As another member of the very limited KK54 group (#2 of 8) let me know if I can be of any help as you begin your journey. We've had Sea Lark for a tad over 19 years and have discovered a few items along the way that might save you some time and frustration.

Earl Fields
Fairview, Texas
M/V Sea Lark
KK5402
currently in drydock at La Conner, WA

Earl, thank you for reaching out. I think a few of my friends may have seen you this summer while cruising around the San Juans and BC. If I remember correctly they sent me pics of a KK54 from Texas. I assume that's you!

We're taking delivery this weekend. While I've been incredibly fortunate to spend a lot of time with the current owner covering systems and quirks, I have no doubt I'll be reaching out for help soon.

I'll send you a PM with my personal contact info.

Congradts!

Congratulations!

Congratulations!
As one who is currently looking at KK's (saw two at Stuart FL this week), can you give us any vitals on your new yacht? Set up, power, layout etc.... or a link?

Thanks,

Jim

You can check out the KK54 layout of this sister boat on YouTube

Congratulations!
As one who is currently looking at KK's (saw two at Stuart FL this week), can you give us any vitals on your new yacht? Set up, power, layout etc.... or a link?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim. The boat is (was) listed on YW and Waterline Boats.

She's got a single CAT 3208 NA, a 20KW Onan generator, a huge hydraulic system that currently only powers the bow thruster, water maker and a full compliment of Furuno electronics. Like the others she's a three stateroom design, however ours has the middle stateroom setup as a den/office meaning the two bunks and deck are open to the hallway. I suspect this layout turned off a few potential buyers but for us it's perfect as I work from home and that can operate as a "flex" space when it's just us and still bunk two when we need it.

History is interesting. The PO bought her out of an estate sale in FL where she was tied to a piling dock for a couple of years so no history prior to his ownership in 2011. He brought her around through the canal up to the PNW where she's been since about 2015.

I was incredibly fortunate to meet and spend time onboard with the PO, operating the boat and covering all of the systems, his notes and logs, etc. Invaluable information given the complexity of the various systems.

Our plan is to spend a season or two restoring her to her glory days, gelcoat, paint, rigging (standing and running), update the interior, replace the appliances (they are largely original) and go from there. The time in FL and those pilings took a toll on her gelcoat and rub rail so cosmetics will be high on the priority list. I'll probably tackle some electronics additions as well but she's already very well equipped in that department.

We're already living aboard and loving it. The new sectional arrived yesterday and that helped us start to feel like she's ours and she's a home. Once we get completely moved in we'll post a blog about it and we'll be sure to include photos and maybe a walkthrough vid. Right now it's boxes and bins everywhere and we're still cleaning all of the nooks and crannies.

For now here are some pics our friends took during the trip to Seattle from Bremerton. The last pic is of her tied up in Lake Union. The boat rafted to her is our Bluewater 40. We thought this would be a good way to "move" from one boat to the other. It's certainly been a workout!

PS - We have some great boating friends who helped us with the delivery, many are TF members as well. Pretty much one of the best days ever starting with sunrise at Elliot Bay Marina. A delicious breakfast underway in our friend's beautiful Grand Alaskan over to Bremerton and a very fun and experienced crew to help us get her through the locks and tied up in Lake Union. Getting back into boating was one of the best decisions we've ever made. You get to have incredible experiences with some of the very best people.

Attachments

• underway.jpg
    underway.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 103
  • underway2.jpg
    underway2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 88
  • OasisFortitude.jpg
    OasisFortitude.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
That is one fine looking boat. Great layout ....
May you have many happy hours on her.

One question: the blue canvas covering the top of the stack, what's under it?

Last edited:
Thanks! That false stack houses the upper helm. Basically a bench seat, controls and instruments.

I believe we have several KK 54 owners on this chat. I have 54-001 , I know Arthur and Steven and he have communicated. Perhaps we can share ideas, successes and learning opportunities with one another? Arthur has been very generous epithet his experiences and I have tried to reciprocate with my projects. Please PM me.
Best,
Paul

Back
Top Bottom