Old 12-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #21
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeepergreg View Post
My boat is on the hard in NJ, how long between stripping bottom paint and barrier coating? Will a few months of winter allow the hull to dry?
No blisters just too many coats of paint.
Greg
In the NE, unlikely, but a yard with a moisture meter can tell you. Once dry, the barrier coat can start to go on anytime, but the sequence after that is critical. The second coat of epoxy goes on within 10 hours of the first, and the first coat of bottom paint goes on when the epoxy is still soft enough to leave a fingerprint if you press on it.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
The hot pepper does nothing and adding copper powder in the U.S is illegal.
It is not illegal to add copper to your anti fouling paint but it is likely ineffective. Adding pepper is absolutely useless.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #23

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
After a sandblast to bare metal and 5 coats of Interprotect 2000 (alternating btwn white and gray), we applied 3 coats of Trinidad Pro in May 2017. Then had a little Irma damage in September, so hauled out in December, and had to put another two coats of Trinidad Pro on, for the simple reason that it can't dry out, or you have to recoat it. (72 hours or more hauled out is their cut-off.) We've been in the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos since then, and have been happy with the results (we clean the bottom ourselves). However, I'm not sure Bahamas and Turks are good places to gauge bottom paint - there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff here that wants to grow on boats, pilings, etc.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #24

City: St.John's
Vessel Name: Pier Presure V
Vessel Model: Integrity 496CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahmadi View Post
Need to bottom paint my KK-39. The choices are hard paint or self polishing paint, specifically Pettit Trinidad PRO or Cukote respectively. I need to decide which is the best option and why? I would appreciate any experience-based advice.

Thank you
I purchased my boat 5 years ago in Annapolis, Hartge's Yacht Yard used Interlux ultra (Black) during commissioning. The boat is year round in the water with an annual haul to wash and inspect and have not had to repaint or touch up. We are in northern waters and don't have the same growth as you have south of here but it works better than anything that I've seen on any other boats in our area. Unfortunately it is not available in Canada.
Pier Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: LEGEND
Vessel Model: GB 36C
Sea Hawk shark hard covered with sea hawk ablative. Nothing better anymore.
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Two coats of Sea Hawk epoxy barrier and two coats of Sea Hawk Shark Skin bottom paint. Pettit zinc spay to the propeller.
Attached Thumbnails
1AB6C5B5-D242-4B8B-8E7E-843D5B28AB5A.jpg  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
After a sandblast to bare metal and 5 coats of Interprotect 2000 (alternating btwn white and gray), we applied 3 coats of Trinidad Pro in May 2017. Then had a little Irma damage in September, so hauled out in December, and had to put another two coats of Trinidad Pro on, for the simple reason that it can't dry out, or you have to recoat it. (72 hours or more hauled out is their cut-off.) We've been in the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos since then, and have been happy with the results (we clean the bottom ourselves). However, I'm not sure Bahamas and Turks are good places to gauge bottom paint - there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff here that wants to grow on boats, pilings, etc.
I queried the Paxton sales rep on 72 hour limit out of the water. The surface of the paint oxidizes or something to that effect. The solution is to abrade the surface with a Scotchbrite pad. As I will likely be hauling out end of next summer, I plan to try the equivalent of the Scotchbrite pad on a slow variable speed buffer to refresh the surface.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I queried the Paxton sales rep on 72 hour limit out of the water. The surface of the paint oxidizes or something to that effect. The solution is to abrade the surface with a Scotchbrite pad. As I will likely be hauling out end of next summer, I plan to try the equivalent of the Scotchbrite pad on a slow variable speed buffer to refresh the surface.

Ted
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that you have to do anything extraordinary after being out of the water for 72 hours. Just a good roughing up of the surface, for the next coat. With ablative paint, you don't have to recoat after a haulout, should you have to haul out for 3-4 days sooner than expected. That was the point I was trying to make.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that you have to do anything extraordinary after being out of the water for 72 hours. Just a good roughing up of the surface, for the next coat. With ablative paint, you don't have to recoat after a haulout, should you have to haul out for 3-4 days sooner than expected. That was the point I was trying to make.
No, you misunderstand me. You can scuff the surface and put it back in the water without repainting the bottom.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
No, you misunderstand me. You can scuff the surface and put it back in the water without repainting the bottom.

Ted
Oh! I'm going to have to look into that the next time we have to haul out before we need bottom paint. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #31
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Bottom Paint

I’m at the 6 year mark with Trinidad Petit. No growth, just a bit of slime. Will repaint with same this year.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #32
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
I’m at the 6 year mark with Trinidad Petit. No growth, just a bit of slime. Will repaint with same this year.

Jim
Pettit Trinidad can easily go 8 years in the PNW. However if you over sink a boat with Trinidad you will burn the copper right out of the paint. If you use an electro-guard on your boat you will be shocked at how long a 70% copper based paint will last.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #33
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
However if you over sink a boat with Trinidad...

I think if you “over sink a boat”, you’re in more troubled than just your bottom paint! Chuckle!
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Got to love auto correct.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote