Another project on our Manatee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftbinc

Vessel Name
Oma
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogan\Manatee
Hi all.

Our manager has a 16000 but Marine air unit. Nor sure the age. It works and all the pressures and flows are to spec, but it just does not due the job out in the Chicago sun we have rigged a sunshade over the boat deck and that helps. Have others had this issue? What suggestions and cautions in replacing the current unit with something with more btus ? Brands to steer clear of?

Like always thanks

Paul, Manatee 'OMA'

Last edited:
16k BTU is generally the biggest marine A/C you'll find in 120v, anything bigger is typically 240v. So if you need more than 16k, you'll likely be looking at 2 units.

Thanks. Velair has one at 21000 btus and 115 AC. Does anyone have experience with them

16k BTU is generally the biggest marine A/C you'll find in 120v, anything bigger is typically 240v. So if you need more than 16k, you'll likely be looking at 2 units.

Yup. I think maybe Mermaid made an 18K BTU that is 120. But not sure, maybe check their website. But generally you would be better off with 2 units. Also do whatever you can to stop the heat from getting into the boat. Cover all the windows and hatches. Maybe put some insulation in wherever you are able.

I live in FL year round so A/C units are pretty stressed here. I put new windows in the salon a couple of years ago and since there was a bit of water damage to the wall below each window, I skarfed in some teak board and then covered the entire wall with a tongue & groove honeycombed vinyl wall covering from Home Depot. This helped our new webasco 16BTU unit cope quite a bit in 95° heat here. We additionally coded the inside of our windows with 3M elite film, which is known for its heat rejection.

We can now maintain 76° in 95° heat with the single 16,000 BTU unit. Deck tarps to shade overhead would likely make a big difference too, but we need ours open.

You can make window covers out of Pfifertex. It will sew on a home sewing machine easily. You can make them so they will snap onto the outside of the windows. They make 2 versions of it, one blocks more sun than the other. Sailrite.com has a lot of how to videos on their website.

Back
Top Bottom