Old 10-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
2000 KK39 Galley outlets don't work

My two galley outlets have no power. I checked the GFI and it has no power leading to it. All panel switches have been checked and all other appliances, lighting and outlets work.

I tried tracing the wire with no luck. I wanted to find the other end and test continuity but cannot find the other end. Any ideas how these outlet wires are run?
Divealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divealot View Post
My two galley outlets have no power. I checked the GFI and it has no power leading to it. All panel switches have been checked and all other appliances, lighting and outlets work.

I tried tracing the wire with no luck. I wanted to find the other end and test continuity but cannot find the other end. Any ideas how these outlet wires are run?
Know anyone with a 'fox and hound'?
Old 10-28-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Assuming you have power to the panel, there will be at least one circuit breaker labeled receptacles or galley or outlets or something close. Have you checked every other outlet in the boat? Bet there is another GFCI inline with them that is tripped. Check the head and engine room.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Do you know which circuit breaker they are on? If they share a breaker with other outlets, it's a matter of figuring out which one.

Are you good with electrical work. This next part isn't for a novice. If you're not comfortable working in the circuit breaker panel, stop now!

Most likely what is open is only the hot wire (black). You need a long jumper wire. It needs to reach from the outlet to the breaker panel. With the shore power, generator, and all inverters off, do the following. Attach the jumper wire to the ground wire (green) of the outlet. With a continuity tester or VOM, check for continuity between the ground buss for the panel and your jumper wire. If you have continuity, then it's a matter of removing ground wires off the ground buss one at a time and checking for continuity between that wire and the jumper. While this may sound like a lot of work, there should be a number of circuits that aren't likely candidates such as air conditioning or water heater.

Once you figure out the shared circuit, it shouldn't be to difficult to sleuth out the failure point. While you could use the same process with the neutral (white wire), grounds always end up going to the ground buss.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Boston Area
You could try switching out the breaker with another one to see if the breaker failed. Assuming you don't have a rodent issue, that's probably the most likely cause.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
You could try switching out the breaker with another one to see if the breaker failed. Assuming you don't have a rodent issue, that's probably the most likely cause.
Easier to just check output side of the breaker to see if there is power there when on and not when off. If so breaker is good and it downstream from there.
If no power out change / replace breaker.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Assuming you have power to the panel, there will be at least one circuit breaker labeled receptacles or galley or outlets or something close. Have you checked every other outlet in the boat? Bet there is another GFCI inline with them that is tripped. Check the head and engine room.
I like that idea of checking all the GFCI on the circuit.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I checked the breaker labeled galley outlets and it is functioning as expected with the exception there is no power at the outlet. I get no continuity from the breaker to the outlets. I tried to chase the wiring but it disappears in the wall and I cannot find where it exits. I had to leave the boat but will be returning later this week and will proceed with some of your ideas. Thanks. I just thought someone may know how and where the wires were run.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #9

City: Kincardine
Vessel Name: Barefoot Shoes
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39-40
KK39 Galley outlet

Divealot - I'm not sure if you have been able to solve your issue but my wife and I own KK39-40 and I was just checking our wiring schematic and it shows 3 outlets , all GFI'd on the same 15amp circuit to your galley. Might not hurt to check and see if your other 2 outlets are working. All 3 outlets are in series so if the first GFI is tripped or defective, the rest wont work and so on down the line
Barefootshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input. Only one outlet has a gfci. When I removed the outlet there is continuity between outlets so I assume are wired in series. I am still working on that project but other projects have taken precedence. I just wish I knew how and where the wires are run. It would make things a lot easier.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #11
Guru

Ah yes, where do the wires go. Very difficult to trace wiring over a distance if the disappear behind a panel or into a bundle. Once you find the two ends, mark them.

Might consider using a 'fox and hound'.