1980 KK42 water tank leaking slightly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selidster

Vessel Name
Lemonade
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 016
Thought I would ask the forum for some opinions. My KK42 has a large fiberglass water tank molded in the hull of the boat. I have very small amount of fresh water weeping into the forward bilge and weeping into the the main engine room bilge. I cut an access port into the top of the tank were there was none. Tank looks super clean, but I can see some cracking inside along the hull joint. Thats the engine room side. So I'm going to slightly grind the joint and put some food grade epoxy in. The forward is not so easy. I have no access to the inside of the tank and the front end is easily 5 or 6 feet away from my new access. Now the leaking isn't much but over weeks will put an inch or so into the forward bilge till the pump kicks on. And it makes me crazy! I'm thinking to cut a hole in the forward wall of the tank so I can reach in and epoxy the forward hull joint and clean the port side of the tank. Or I can refiberglass the bilge side of the tank to seal it. Not sure that's the best. It seems the weeping will still get behind the new fiberglass and delaminate it. I'm just not to keen to cut a lage hole to have to patch it and/or add a quality port. Or both, hole, epoxy, and refiberglass? Thoughts?

If it only leaks about a gallon over two weeks. I personally would hold off putting a lot of effort into it. Just make a note to check on it every couple of weeks. :)

I think I would try glassing the outside first. If it manages to weep around the patch you really haven’t lost much just a bit of glass. If it works problem solved, if it doesn’t work then think about another access hole.

Back
Top Bottom