WTB: Grand Banks Europa 54 or 47 or similar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boater3

Guru
Vessel Make
tbd
WTB: Grand Banks Europa 54 or similar

I am considering purchasing a Grand Banks Europa 54 or Aleutian. I usually buy boats 1-2 years old but in this case will consider around 10 years of age so purchase price is manageable. Please message me if you are thinking about selling or know someone.

I am also open to consider other makes/models. We'd like to be able to cruise around 18-20 knots, not get killed on fuel burn, and have a full fly bridge for entertaining and piloting in decent weather. Three state rooms would be great and lower helm that allows two people to attend to the controls/lookout.

Last edited:
Hello Boater3,
Both are great boats. I may be wrong, but i don’t think you can cruise a GB 52 or 54 at 18 knows…..Assuming you’re talking the traditional GB and not the Eastbay.
Good luck. In your search!

Hello Boater3,
Both are great boats. I may be wrong, but i don’t think you can cruise a GB 52 or 54 at 18 knows…..Assuming you’re talking the traditional GB and not the Eastbay.
Good luck. In your search!

The 54 EU cruises 18 knots with upgraded engines.

I can make 22 knots in my 42 Europa. I looked at the 52 Europa, "Sleeko" in Greenport NY that did 15 with Cat3126B motors.

We'd like to be able to cruise around 18-20 knots, not get killed on fuel burn

Depends on what you define as getting killed. Is 60 GPH or so getting killed?

Irv's boat Gotcha (54' Europa) will cruise in the 20s with I think QSM Cummins. If you can afford the boat, the fuel consumption won't hurt you. In that size and cruise speed, I can't think of a boat I'd rather have. Fit and finish puts most of the others to shame.

Ted

Irv's boat Gotcha (54' Europa) will cruise in the 20s with I think QSM Cummins. If you can afford the boat, the fuel consumption won't hurt you. In that size and cruise speed, I can't think of a boat I'd rather have. Fit and finish puts most of the others to shame.

Ted

Sorry who is Irvand is Gotcha for sale?

Sorry who is Irvand is Gotcha for sale?

Irv hosts part of the Trawler Forum get together in Fort Pierce each February. His boat isn't for sale and to new for your desired price range.

My comment was relative to the boat's speed not that it was for sale.

Ted

This Grand Banks Europa 54 sure looks nice.

MAN 800’s, seakeeper and Wesmar fins!

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2014-grand-banks-54-europa-8015470/

Yes, it sold. I may just sit on the sidelines a year or two and see how the boat market turns out. Would be great to see that boat closer to $1m. Oddly, its onto its 5th owner, I heard some explanation but just weird for that age boat to already have 5 owners.. I figure once the boat turns 10 it might shed some price tag.

Yes, it sold. I may just sit on the sidelines a year or two and see how the boat market turns out. Would be great to see that boat closer to $1m. Oddly, its onto its 5th owner, I heard some explanation but just weird for that age boat to already have 5 owners.. I figure once the boat turns 10 it might shed some price tag.

With the current rate of inflation and the substantially increasing cost of new boats, it might be quite a bit longer. Between availability, cost, and inflation, I wouldn't be surprised if a 6 year old boat, well maintained, with low engine hours, was worth what it originally sold for.

Ted

With the current rate of inflation and the substantially increasing cost of new boats, it might be quite a bit longer. Between availability, cost, and inflation, I wouldn't be surprised if a 6 year old boat, well maintained, with low engine hours, was worth what it originally sold for.

Ted

Have to reluctantly agree. Unless / until some trend motivates a lot of owners to leave boating, every indicator points to stable or rising market prices. We saw this during the high inflation of the late 1970s and early 1980s, when new boats looked like smart investments and decent used boats held or even appreciated in market value.

I think its a gamble. No one really knows. I can tell you all my finance, hedge fund, PE friends have sold their boats and are sitting on the sidelines waiting to see. I decided to follow suit, I was one of the last ones to sell. Sure I might shoot myself in the foot but boats age and I know for a fact there are tons of people that stretched themselves and fuel being 2-3x the price will not work for them unless they just sit at the dock. Also I've heard from many on good authority that there are tons of people that bought boats during the pandemic and decided boating is not for them or they did not realize the upkeep effort and maintenance costs. Some have offloaded the boats already and I am guessing many will in the future.

Last edited:
I think its a gamble. No one really knows. I can tell you all my finance, hedge fund, PE friends have sold their boats and are sitting on the sidelines waiting to see. I decided to follow suit, I was one of the last ones to sell. Sure I might shoot myself in the foot but boats age and I know for a fact there are tons of people that stretched themselves and fuel being 2-3x the price will not work for them unless they just sit at the dock. Also I've heard from many on good authority that there are tons of people that bought boats during the pandemic and decided boating is not for them or they did not realize the upkeep effort and maintenance costs. Some have offloaded the boats already and I am guessing many will in the future.

You're probably correct.

But if buying used, I'd prefer to stay with my known commodity than somebody else's problem child.

Then again, maybe we'll balance the budget on a new federal sales tax on 40'+ boats. Maybe a fossil fuel guzzler tax on acquisitions. With the rise in the cost and maybe reduced availability of fossil fuels, I'm surprised that luxury yachts and private jets haven't ended up in the cross hairs, yet.

Back to boat projects.

Ted

You could be right, and I agree nobody knows

But “I can tell you all my finance, hedge fund, PE friends have sold their boats and are sitting on the sidelines waiting to see” I think is an incorrect generalization. None of the “finance, hedge fund, PE friends” I know have sold their boats nor will they unless it’s to upgrade. Probably they are older and more established - or less fearful!

Last edited:
You could be right, and I agree nobody knows

But “I can tell you all my finance, hedge fund, PE friends have sold their boats and are sitting on the sidelines waiting to see” I think is an incorrect generalization. None of the “finance, hedge fund, PE friends” I know have sold their boats nor will they unless it’s to upgrade. Probably they are older and more established - or less fearful!

Everyone wants to upgrade. We are all hoping to score some deals if the market corrects and people that are not true boaters want to get rid of their pandemic boats. None of my friends want to exit boating. But we are all willing to take a year or two off. Again, we know part of it is gambling but there are some signs of issues to come just watching financial markets, defaults on certain things, etc.

Last edited:
Everyone wants to upgrade. We are all hoping to score some deals if the market corrects and people that are not true boaters want to get rid of their pandemic boats. None of my friends want to exit boating. But we are all willing to take a year or two off. Again, we know part of it is gambling but there are some signs of issues to come just watching financial markets, defaults on certain things, etc.

A deal? I’m willing to buy a new boat right now but deliveries for new orders are 2025.

A deal? I’m willing to buy a new boat right now but deliveries for new orders are 2025.

Depends. I know some folks that got new boats built in 6 months recently, 50+ feet. I also know people such as myself that never buy new boats.

Depends. I know some folks that got new boats built in 6 months recently, 50+ feet. I also know people such as myself that never buy new boats.

I’m referring to the boat I want who I have been in contact with the company. Given the strong orders in the last year and accelerating in the last few weeks, it’s 2025. That’s also firming up the recent used market and if there is inflation in pricing, then the used boats will sell for more than they were new probably.

I’m referring to the boat I want who I have been in contact with the company. Given the strong orders in the last year and accelerating in the last few weeks, it’s 2025. That’s also firming up the recent used market and if there is inflation in pricing, then the used boats will sell for more than they were new probably.

I think Grand Banks is 3-4 years out right now. Some are.

Back
Top Bottom