What’s this switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GBNI

Veteran Member
Can any one advise what this bottom switch is for ?
Gb42 #1386

Attachments

• 57475067-B37A-44C1-B7A0-21EC30B3588D.jpg
    57475067-B37A-44C1-B7A0-21EC30B3588D.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 97
Looks like the "Generator" / "Shore Power" selector.

Photo is dim and grainy, but I think it's the load switch for the ammeter. At least it is for my 2000 GB42. Do you have the GB manual that came with the boat? It has some details in it, plus some line drawings of the electrical systems. I believe it measures the amps on either L1 or L2. My AC system is on one "leg" and all other 120 V items are on the other leg.

Can any one advise what this bottom switch is for ?
Gb42 #1386

Looks to be a heavy amperage barrel switch. Could be the shore power or generator selector switch. Could also be a selector switch for bow and stern shore power if you have more than one input.

Ted

Ted

Photo is dim and grainy, but I think it's the load switch for the ammeter. At least it is for my 2000 GB42. Do you have the GB manual that came with the boat? It has some details in it, plus some line drawings of the electrical systems. I believe it measures the amps on either L1 or L2. My AC system is on one "leg" and all other 120 V items are on the other leg.

Thanks, I think this is it.
There is a separate AC source selector switch.

Switch

Good Afternoon -

I am not sure if you have access to the back but it might help determine use of the switch. We have a 2008 GB 47 Europa and have a barrel switch in the same location. It is for the inverter on our boat. See pictures attached.

On the front it is a three position switch (OFF, INVERTER, and AC MAIN) and as
you can see in photo its called "Inverter Bypass." Again, on our boat she will only charge the house batteries off the Generator and Shore Power when switch is in the AC Main position. When they are not being used the switch is put in the "INVERTER" position. hope this helps.

Bob

Attachments

• Barrel Switch 1.jpg
    Barrel Switch 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Inverter Bypass Switch 2.jpg
    Inverter Bypass Switch 2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 18
  • Inverter Bypass Switch 3.jpg
    Inverter Bypass Switch 3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 25
That looks similar to a switch on my 46. Its a four position (off, 1, 2, 3) for showing the voltage in each (bank 1, 2, and generator) battery bank. I have an analog dc meter just above the switch. Looks like your dc meter may be just above the ac meter in the photo.

I am always amazed at how little importance previous owners pay to proper labeling of switches and buttons. "Well, I know what that does; so why bother to label it?" It does not compute with me.

I am always amazed at how little importance previous owners pay to proper labeling of switches and buttons. "Well, I know what that does; so why bother to label it?" It does not compute with me.

First time leaving the dock on my current boat after purchase: I familiarized myself with the rows and rows of switches at the helm. Several were unmarked and "off". Presumably spares for future use. One of those was, I assumed inadvertently, "on". Without thinking about it too much I turned it off.

Went to leave the dock the next morning and the stern thruster did not work. Bow thruster switch was labelled and on. No Stern thruster switch on the dash (I had completely forgotten my action in the prior paragraph). Searched the boat for a Stern Thruster switch with no luck. We were side tied, pressed against the dock by wind with a boat directly in front and behind us and I was very reluctant to leave with no St Th. I called an electrician. After two hours he was able to trace the switch - to that one I had absentmindedly switched off. I learned that day that unlabeled does not mean unimportant!
~A

The ammeter and volt meter shows the amps and volt loads on each leg of your incoming shore power. Turning the switch from #1 to #2
switches the meter readouts from one leg to the other.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom