Towing insurance - Correct amount is ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
Bought a 2001 GB Classic 42 footer and have Boat US/ Geico insurance. Presently I have $3000 each incident for "Towing & Assistance." I will be moving the boat from Long Island Sound to Lake Michigan (WI) in the spring. In a few years we may finish the loop. Do you think I have enough towing insurance?
Thanks again.

I favor BoatUs and Seatow for towing insurance. If you're staying in the continental USA, they are likely who will tow you. Go on line and read their policies. I have both as I consider it inexpensive and some areas are better served by one or the other when cruising.

Ted

The other considerations for me having towing policies separate from my boat insurance is that I really wouldn't want my insurance company to know if all I had was a soft grounding with no damage. They have plenty of reasons for raising my premiums based on what other boaters do, don't need to give them a legitimate reason.

Ted

If an add on to an existing Boat US insurance policy its a different price (cheaper) that a separate towing policy.

I just got Geico/BoatUS insurance and from what I can tell on my insurance is they toss in a BoatUS towing membership.

I have not read the details as I get a Sea Tow membership...

I have Boat/US insurance but I also have their towing. They have an unlimited inland towing for about $80 per year or so. Certainly well worth it, you want unlimited. At well over $200 per hour portal to portal it can add up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom