Tachometer sender wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
I have Stewart Warner Tachometers PN 811531 which is 2 wire
20200909_203413.jpg
20200909_194822.jpg
and managed to get a mechanical sender stewart warner 82623B which is 3 wire
New Picture.jpg

Instructions appear clear however those two wires on the backside are both black, neither + or - with ignition on or engine running. Nothing is marked for signal. The sender has +, -, and white signal. + & - I can do, it is the signal wire not clear on. using ohm meter and length of wire I identified one of the two as coming from sender location, but as yet not the other one.
Any thoughts which of two wires at sender to attach signal and then what to do with 2nd wire. Continue with trial and error?

Hi, your new sender appears to be a hall-effect sender. It sends a pulse and I think you need new tachs for it. I switched to hall effect senders and new Stewart Warner tachs on my 1974 GB. The original sender generates a voltage from spinning. The new senders draw power from a battery to generate a signal.

Hi, your new sender appears to be a hall-effect sender. It sends a pulse and I think you need new tachs for it. I switched to hall effect senders and new Stewart Warner tachs on my 1974 GB. The original sender generates a voltage from spinning. The new senders draw power from a battery to generate a signal.
Thank you for that information. I have the new tachs ready to install. So much for the universal sender.
Aetna makes a sender like original but they would not guarantee it would work.

I use Aetna senders for two different brands of tachs. I have programmable VDOs on the lower helm and programmable Isspro tachs on the upper. Both brands are programmed to a degree of accuracy that matches the photo tach output. Pretty much, any signal generator will give the same result as they generate pulses, four per revolution, eight per revolution doesn't matter how many. If you have programmable tachs you just need to know how many pulses your signal generator outputs.
Thank you for that information. I have the new tachs ready to install. So much for the universal sender.

Thanks Jack. Unfortunately the old tachs do not een have markings, let alone any adjustments. When I previewed the sender it said 3 wire or one wire. I have two wires on old sender one of which is grounded to the body of sender, so I took that as the other is the one wire option. No joy. anyway new tach and two old spares coming up.

Hi, if you will have no use that old tacho, and it is in working order, i will be very interested in buying it. My one gone belly up and it is exactly same design so your one will fit perfectly.

Sorry, I sold them to another forum member months ago.
Hi, if you will have no use that old tacho, and it is in working order, i will be very interested in buying it. My one gone belly up and it is exactly same design so your one will fit perfectly.

are you asking me?
Tach back.jpg

Tach PN 811531.jpg

Old Stewart Warner Tachs available

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would continue it with an offer. I just replaced all of my Tachs with new ones and I have the original tachometers available for sale. I also have the original Auto Meter 701 two-wire sender as well. These were all working when I removed them. Even though I liked the look of the originals I couldn't find the them anymore. The previous owner had replaced the other engine's tachs with incompatible alternator types and they didn't match these originals. Anyone interested in making an offer? It would be great to pay for my upgrade, which was about $300. I think these are pretty valuable since they are in great working order and very rare.

Attachments

• 2020-12-29_15-22-21_242.jpg
    2020-12-29_15-22-21_242.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2020-12-29_15-22-41_184.jpg
    2020-12-29_15-22-41_184.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 20
Hello
my GB36 with JD6404 engine is equipped with sensor 701 autometer on engine connected to 2 SW tachometers at the helm and 2 VDO on the flybridge.
Unfortunately nothing works.

The 701 no longer being available should I buy the SW 82623 and new counters?

thanks a lot for your help

I learned that the sender is the key component. Make sure the sender is compatible with your engine, can feed two tachs and then get a tach compatible with the sender.

You will probably have to buy both the sender and a compatible Tachometer.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-82620
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-82623B

It looks like the sender is not in stock at Summit Racing but I found another one here:
SWW-82623B

Hello
my GB36 with JD6404 engine is equipped with sensor 701 autometer on engine connected to 2 SW tachometers at the helm and 2 VDO on the flybridge.
Unfortunately nothing works.

The 701 no longer being available should I buy the SW 82623 and new counters?

thanks a lot for your help

Thanks

I will order if they confirm they can deliver to France.

Do I’ll modify the wiring ?

VDO tachs

I bought two VDO tachs to go with a new alternator since one tachometer was inop and the other sporadic. The VDO instructions say to configure the tachometer dip switches to match the number of poles in the alternator. Problem is the instructions stop at 12 poles (#5 dip switch) and the manufacturer of my new alternator says it is 14 pole. Anyone have any experience here?
Thanks, Loon

I bought two VDO tachs to go with a new alternator since one tachometer was inop and the other sporadic. The VDO instructions say to configure the tachometer dip switches to match the number of poles in the alternator. Problem is the instructions stop at 12 poles (#5 dip switch) and the manufacturer of my new alternator says it is 14 pole. Anyone have any experience here?
Thanks, Loon

PM me and I can give you the phone numbers for VDO support. They were very helpful to me when I put in new tachs this last winter.

I have VDO tachs and Aetna senders. They work for me.20201205_162925.jpg

The new tacks I got from VDO had no DIP switches but rather programmable settings, real PITA to figure out. They would show engine hour, time and a bunch of other stuff. I only cared about engine hours. You had to install a push button switch to do the programming. I sent them to Lauderdale Speedo and they programmed in the pulse setting for my C series Cummins and the engine hours for both engines. It cost about $65. Great deal and I didn’t have to install the push button switches.

Back
Top Bottom