Old 06-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Table foot pedal?

Casale on table on my East Bay has a foot pedal that doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know how it's supposed to operate?

The pedestal has two large thumb screws on the side which you can loosen and adjust the height. Which basically means loosen them and then manhandle the very heavy folding top to your desired height and tighten them very quickly before your arm strength gives out.

Is the pedal supposed to provide some sort of Jack or hold function?
Attached Thumbnails
20180602_155726.jpg  
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
That's my guess. Some form of jack to lift the weight. Can you roll the table on its side and look in the pedestal?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. wk. I think Mr. HW is onto something. The fact that it "doesn't do anything" AND the arm appears to be at the bottom of it's travel strongly suggests "she's broke!" It also seems the allowable travel of said arm is quite small (3/4" perhaps) so rather than a pump, might it be a hydraulic release similar to what is on office chairs?

Possible scenario: Loosen thumb screws, push down on pedal-table raises via built in spring. Release pedal-table stops. Tighten thumb screws to prevent dinner being "launched" in the event pedal is inadvertently depressed by accident.
To lower table, loosen thumb screws, push pedal and push down on table release pedal, tighten screws. Just a WAG...
Old 06-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
Guru

The table is massively heavy so it's not really an easy case of roll it over, at least would not without adding new dents to other wood surfaces nearby! That I think there was a felt pad under the whole oval base, so it might not be easy to get a look-see. I'll take a closer look tomorrow, and report back
Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

City: Cruising Florida and Bahamas
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Tiara 53 Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Casale on table on my East Bay has a foot pedal that doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know how it's supposed to operate?

The pedestal has two large thumb screws on the side which you can loosen and adjust the height. Which basically means loosen them and then manhandle the very heavy folding top to your desired height and tighten them very quickly before your arm strength gives out.

Is the pedal supposed to provide some sort of Jack or hold function?
Same table on our GB. Unscrew the thumbscrews, hold the foot pedal down and the table will move up with gas assist (so hang on if the table is in the lowered position!) Put table at height you desire and re-tighten thumbscrews.
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Guru

Hmmm, then I'm guessing the gas cylinder in mine has perished. Weather turned foul today so the family bugged out. I'll be back there mid-week to further investigate the table.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
Guru

Got down to the boat yesterday and figured out the table. The foot pedal is there to hold the table down at a certain point. There was indeed a pneumatic cylinder in there! It's entirely dead. No signs of fluid leaks though, thankfully. The pedal is designed to secure the table in the down position, holding it there against the upward pressure of the gas spring. Proper operation would thus be, release the side screws, put downward pressure on the top, push the pedal down (releasing the pin) release the pedal, control the upward movement of the top until it reaches the desired height and then tighten the screws on the side. With no pressure in the cylinder there's no upward movement to restrain, thus the pedal seemed somehow broken.

Four pix here. The solid underside of the base. What sun has done to lighten the color the teak and holly floor. 12 years of being bolted in place at least makes it easier to see where to reposition the table when putting it back! The hardware inside the column (cylinder, pedal release and restraining hole). Pressing the pedal pushes the rod on a pivot and it pulls the pin back from the hole you see in the stainless piece on the left.

The cylinder has an Izerwaren label on it. Hopefully they'll be able to supply a replacement.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

City: Cruising Florida and Bahamas
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Tiara 53 Fly
I have had Izerwaren replace or recharge other cylinders on our boat. I think they are in Ft Lauderdale. They were great to work with. God luck.
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote