Sub Zero Freezer replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
It appears ours has given up the ghost a mere three weeks before we want to start the GreatLoop. Have any of you Grand Banks owners replaced with an alternative that has worked out nicely for you? If so and you are willing to share the make and where you obtained it I would be extremely grateful. I’m not sure if the different size Grand Banks models had different size freezers but ours is a 42 classic.

Can you get the old one out of the boat. That was an issue for us when we replaced our refer last July. I ended up cutting off all the coils and compressor as well as some sheet metal feet in order to get it out the door. My wife found an Isotherm that fit through the door on Defenders website. We love the new Isotherm, it is 9.8 cubic feet and freezes ice cream.

It appears ours has given up the ghost a mere three weeks before we want to start the GreatLoop. Have any of you Grand Banks owners replaced with an alternative that has worked out nicely for you?

Not fixable? Our manual, and the repair guy, made it sound like almost everything is replaceable...

Anyway, you might post your current dimensions so folks can compare.

When we had our (undercounter freezer) leakage a couple months ago, the Sub-Zero repair guy mentioned new stock is low and slow. I also looked at replacement costs: an arm, a leg, your firstborn, and good hunting dog...

Our boat model was built with Perlich brand units in later years, not quite as expensive...

-Chris

Depending on the model, many GB handle R&R of appliances through windows. The center forward windshield panel on my EB47 is MUCH larger than any of the doors. Some model side windows are likewise larger than the door entry.

As for sizes, with GB your added challenge will be the woodwork panel on the door, and the surrounding area. It's worth having it "done right". Finding the right fridge AND someone to do the job might be a challenge depending on where the boat's located.

And if you can't get something perfect that works in your timeframe then I'd do something like use a generic small apartment fridge that would fit into the opening and be prepared to throw it away once you get the time to have the correct sized unit installed and the woodwork re-done to match. Just make sure to save everything from the existing setup until work on the new one gets started. You never know what pieces from the existing setup might prove useful during the replacement.

Do you depend on the freezer part of the existing unit? If not, the I've heard good things about the utility of drawer-style units over the door kind you've got now.

Rather than "act in haste repent at leisure" consider a portable "car fridge" type unit for now. They can run as all fridge/all freezer/as combination, and will surely come in handy even if you find a built in replacement. I use ours to take refrigerated items from home to the boat, using 12v in the car.

Are they undercounter units? I just ordered new Sub Zero replacements for two undercounter fridges on my boat. The 23-year-old units are still functional, but one has a slow refrigerant leak (repairable, I'm told) and they're showing their age.

You might be able to save electricity by going with a 12V marine freezer. Apparently Sea Freeze in Bellingham can build new, efficient internals for existing freezer chassis. Vitrifrigo and Isotherm make nice looking marine fridges.

I didn't find any marine fridge/freezers that compared favorably with Sub Zero in terms of build quality (no idea what the internals are like, just the "feel" of the fridge) and features (frost free, ice maker). Sub Zeros aren't the cheapest or most energy efficient choice, but they aren't much more expensive than Vitrifrigo or Isotherm and all of the new options have better efficiency than what they're replacing.

Most SZ dealers quoted 12-18 months for delivery, but one had them available in a one month. That deadline is approaching and I haven't gotten anything yet...so buying new might not be a realistic option if you need one now.

I believe the sea freeze is no longer in Business -- Retired owner.

You might also consider an apartment refrigerator run off a small Victron inverter. Some are quite energy efficient and far less expensive. That's what I did on my boat and am extremely happy with it.

Ted

You might also consider an apartment refrigerator run off a small Victron inverter. Some are quite energy efficient and far less expensive. That's what I did on my boat and am extremely happy with it.

Ted
I'm going to look into this option, I did find a small Summit fridge that would fit my current available space.

It appears ours has given up the ghost a mere three weeks before we want to start the GreatLoop. Have any of you Grand Banks owners replaced with an alternative that has worked out nicely for you? If so and you are willing to share the make and where you obtained it I would be extremely grateful. I’m not sure if the different size Grand Banks models had different size freezers but ours is a 42 classic.

We replaced a rather cheap-looking and failing NorCold unit on our GB 36 with a Vitrifrigo Sea Drawer (2-drawer under counter model, freezer up and fridge down) with just a bit of carpentry fitting. It looks so much better, freezes ice and very functional.

And yes, the front window opening (I sourced a new 316 piano hinge for the hinged port) was used for both the fridge replacement and the replacement of the similarly cheap-looking and failing Princess stove with a Force-10 3 burner + oven. Those two replacements probably will break even on resale because they improved the galley that much.

I'm ditching the freezer. And installing two two drawer under counter KitchenAid units.

I replaced the compressor and thermostat on my SZ love it. I converted the freezer only one to be either a freezer or a fridge with a $12 thermostat.

We have a write up and photos of a GB42C Grunert unit being pulled and replaced by a Vitrifrigo in a day! Wiring took another day. Super easy no cabinet work required. Can go in through center window or side window. My friends have done three 42s now, so lots of info. Review at grandbankschoices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom