Rocna Vulcan anchor size for Grand Banks 42?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before you make the final decision, have you considered the Sarca Excel..?

SARCA in Action - anchorright.com.au

You'd need about a no 6 Excel ie 30kg = 66lb.

For you vessel one of those would be ideal, and they have the reputation of being quick setting in virtually any bottom, and ultra hard holding as well. They are designed for those boats where the anchor shank comes up through the pulpit platform. See their performance on the Anchor setting videos thread if in doubt. They are now available in the US.

FWIW, I have been very happy with my Sarca Excel. It has failed to set only once in the last year and that was on a granite shelf. Every other time it has set fast and been solid.

The anchor setting vid's are wonderful but there is very little holding power traits revealed there. As it is titled "anchor setting vidio's".
Steve's boat has the same thrust as mine .. about 1000lbs of pulling power. A 40lb anchor needs about 5000lbs of pull to adequately test anchors for holding power. At least the newer anchors.

The anchor setting vid's are wonderful but there is very little holding power traits revealed there. As it is titled "anchor setting vidio's".
Steve's boat has the same thrust as mine .. about 1000lbs of pulling power. A 40lb anchor needs about 5000lbs of pull to adequately test anchors for holding power. At least the newer anchors.

Agreed, and essentially an anchor that set very deeply under 1,000 lbs of load would have a more difficult time performing well during Steve's "flip the anchor over" tests.

Stated differently, those anchors which did NOT set deeply would have an easier time shaking off the soil, so to speak, and then re-orienting back into the sea bottom as they were being turned around.

All

It appears to me that no test of anchors will ever be definitive so that all parties will agree, there is always something that can be debated from different points of view.

I've decided that it is best to ask a person who once used a particular anchor for his opinion as a person still using a particular anchor still has a vested interest to justify his purchase.

Just my SSO.

After this discussion on anchors and reading all I could I don’t think I can fit a Boss on the new boat so I ordered a Spade for the new boat, 120 pounds.

Used a Rocna Vulcan 40 kg in a 52' boat for two summers in PNW- Alaska.
Sets quickly, resets in changing tides/currents and stays set.

I really like that anchor.

We have the 75# standard Rocna on our 42 Europa. We are very satisfied with it and several boaters with similar size boats have expressed to us that they wish they had that larger anchor.

Used a Rocna Vulcan 40 kg in a 52' boat for two summers in PNW- Alaska.
Sets quickly, resets in changing tides/currents and stays set.

I really like that anchor.

Ditto, same anchor and same approximate size boat. Works well for us in all conditions we've seen so far.

I've been using a CQR 65lb with 3/8 full chain rode and have never had an issue. Just get a good set. I cheat a little and have the boat moving backwards as the anchor is lowered to avoid getting the rode fouled.

Resurrecting an old thread but can anyone advise if the standard roll bar Rocna fits the bow roller of a GB 42 or does it have to be the Vulcan version?

Resurrecting an old thread but can anyone advise if the standard roll bar Rocna fits the bow roller of a GB 42 or does it have to be the Vulcan version?

Regardless of whether the rollbar one fits, it wouldn't be my top pick. Check out the SV Panope anchor tests. The Vulcan (and several other designs) have performed better than the regular Rocna in most of the test scenarios. I'd look at a few of the better performers from those tests, get the dimensions and templates for the desired size from the manufacturer websites and then start measuring to figure out what fits best.

I have a 25kg Rocna(roll bar), and agree with rslifkin, it would not be my first choice if i had to buy a replacement anchor.

It is a good anchor but I have noticed the same issues as the SV Panope anchor tests highlighted.That is very average holding power at short scope and a slight issue at resetting.Most of the time the anchor preformed well but occasionally it did not, needless to say this was when the weather was challenging.

We have had the Rocna for about 10 years, so I know it pretty well.

After years of chatting with other boat owners and following the various anchor threads posted on the forum, if i was to replace the Rocna I would go with the Sarca Excel

I have a rocna vulcan 55kg (120lb) on my GB49 classic boat weight about 75000 lbs. The vulcan fit on the rollers and nicely with the winch. The roll bar rocna would not fit shank too long. I use wedges on each side of the vulcan to stabilize and to keep it from rolling when secured in the bow pulpit/rollers.
The anchor sets easily with 3 to 1 scope or more. Been using for about 4 years several months per year at anchor with success.

Vulcan v Windlass

Will the 1000w Lofrans windlass I have (GB42) handle a 33kg Vulcan ok?

Most likely, yes. If you know the model, Lofrans likely gives a working load spec for how much weight they expect it to lift.

It should. I have same model windlass and it does fine. But I've always eased boat towards anchor with Lofrans pulling in the chain until chain is straight up & down. Then pause for a moment to let boat work anchor up out of the bottom as I "bump" the Lofrans until the anchor pulls out. Vulcan comes out much easier if it's straight up & down.

FYI, the vast majority of my anchoring is in SW Florida which is mostly sand, mud or a mixture of both.

A slightly related story. I put my 20kg vulcan in a 300’ deep blue hole last week. All chain. I wasnt sure how much chain was out.
The chain was rubbing the side of the rock side, but the anchor was hanging clear, 125+ feet down. Calm conditions.
My 1kw Cayman lifted it all, but i did stop halfway for a brief cooldown.

A slightly related story. I put my 20kg vulcan in a 300’ deep blue hole last week. All chain. I wasnt sure how much chain was out.
The chain was rubbing the side of the rock side, but the anchor was hanging clear, 125+ feet down. Calm conditions.
My 1kw Cayman lifted it all, but i did stop halfway for a brief cooldown.

That, right there is the reason to size a windlass based on total ground tackle weight, not just weight to lift from maximum expected anchoring depth.

Dear FBoykin, I’m fascinated to see how our friends are answering every other question except yours. I too am about to add a Rocna to my new to me GB42C.

I’m choosing the 33kg/75# Vulcan and storing my Bruce as backup.

Having cruised for two years crossing the Atlantic in the process, there are anchoring lessons learned; my axioms if you will.

1. If there will be drama - it will happen at 1am.
2. My ground tackle arrangement usually dictated whether I was up and doing anchor watch, or just would just roll over and fall back to sleep … actually, holding like at St Helena island mid Atlantic will raise the prudent sailor every time :)
3. If In doubt, go up in size
4. Go with the new generation anchors. Most are really material improvements.

To the last point, we’ve been delighted with the original Rocna which we used for a number of years. Setting it was like hitting a wall compared to our previous genuine CQR.

By all accounts, the Vulcan is at least as good, if not better. So…question answered.

OK… there comes a time when a man has to admit that he was wrong. Today it is my turn. :whistling:

I took delivery today of a Rocna original at 33kg / 75lb. It’s monstrous :socool: and quite frankly I think just too big for the ..we’ll everything. The bowsprit, the weight of chain and heavy anchor if you have a really deep anchorage …etc.

My windlass would really “wind less” with this and 250” of chain hanging vertically. I have heard of boats losing their ground tackle in these circumstances.

So… I will be taking it back and swapping for a 25kg Rocna Vulcan. That looks more in proportion and quite frankly, plenty big enough ..the Vulcan of course has a slightly larger fluke surface to boot. Apologies for any randomization.

Well there is a first. An apology inside an anchor thread. [emoji41] Good move towards the vulcan tho.

OK… there comes a time when a man has to admit that he was wrong. Today it is my turn. :whistling:

I took delivery today of a Rocna original at 33kg / 75lb. It’s monstrous :socool: and quite frankly I think just too big for the ..we’ll everything. The bowsprit, the weight of chain and heavy anchor if you have a really deep anchorage …etc.

My windlass would really “wind less” with this and 250” of chain hanging vertically. I have heard of boats losing their ground tackle in these circumstances.

So… I will be taking it back and swapping for a 25kg Rocna Vulcan. That looks more in proportion and quite frankly, plenty big enough ..the Vulcan of course has a slightly larger fluke surface to boot. Apologies for any randomization.

What size did Rocna recommend for your boat's length, weight, and windage?

-Chris

New to me Grand Banks 42 Classic has a 45# CQR as primary anchor. Shank is bent and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rocna Vulcan anchor (research says that style fits my bow roller best). Wondering if anyone on a GB 42 is using a Vulcan and has advice about the size they're using?

On a Vulcan sizing chart, a GB42 in size & weight is between a size 25 (55#) and a 33 (73#).

Any GB42 folks using a Vulcan with advice? Thanks.

We use a Vulcan 33 on our GB42. Never had an issue and I wouldn't want to go any heavier. I think the conventional wisdom is that this is the correct anchor, or at least the correct size of this style, for the boat and maybe SLIGHTLY oversize for general use.

I know that bigger is better when it comes to being hooked to the bottom but you also have to get it on the bottom and back up. The 33/73# Vulcan is our limit when all is taken into account.

Interesting thread. I have only dragged once, at 1:00am in 40+ knots of unexpected wind. That was with my former boat, a Californian 42, with a 35# Rocna, Too small, I know. My current boat, a Californian 52, has a 105# Mantus on the bow. When that thing sets there is no doubt about it holding. For the record, I still get up and look around if the wind pipes up unexpectedly.

Yes, it looks funny on the bow, but I have never dragged in over 5 years and about a hundred anchorages. :dance:

Cheers, Bill

FBoykin, Ive got a GB42EU displacement 39000lbs. Ive had a 60# CQR on it with 200" of 3/8" chain and have had no problems at all. I do a really good set, backing down on it well.
Its been dropped on several different kinds of bottoms.
A good thing is how easily it pulls up.
Rich

So I collected the 25kg Rocna Vulcan today, and the fluke is still huge. Problem is that the GB42C falls between the zones indicated in the sizing charts for Rocnas. The 25kg is on the lower side, and the next size up is the 33kg.

Looking at the size of the 25kg Vulcan (as noted above, these have a slightly larger fluke size than the equivalent weight original Rocna), I feel quite happy with what still looks quite large for a quality new generation anchor.

So I collected the 25kg Rocna Vulcan today, and the fluke is still huge. Problem is that the GB42C falls between the zones indicated in the sizing charts for Rocnas. The 25kg is on the lower side, and the next size up is the 33kg....
Usual "wisdom" is, if your boat falls between anchor sizes go up, not down, which you tried. Some even say to go up a size on the recommended size. In your case you had to take the smaller version, it`s "still huge", and will hopefully serve you well for many anchorings.

Since this is an anchor thread and everyone has an opinion, I figure mine is as good as anyone's.

Firstly, most everyone knows not to use your windlass to pull the boat over top of the anchor when retrieving as one person suggested here.

Secondly, if you are worried about total weight, why carry an all chain rode? I've always had a chain/nylon rode. Even the Spade anchor website advises against using an all chain rode. They recommend something in the 75 ft range. Others recommend about a boat length of chain and the rest nylon. It's less weight in your bow (where you don't want it) and improves anchor holding in most situations. It's also less weight for your windlass. Before I'd switch to a smaller anchor because of weight issues, I'd rather lose some of the chain.

Secondly, if you are worried about total weight, why carry an all chain rode? I've always had a chain/nylon rode. Even the Spade anchor website advises against using an all chain rode. They recommend something in the 75 ft range. Others recommend about a boat length of chain and the rest nylon. It's less weight in your bow (where you don't want it) and improves anchor holding in most situations. It's also less weight for your windlass. Before I'd switch to a smaller anchor because of weight issues, I'd rather lose some of the chain.

I agree. And if you cruise to areas where you need more chain or all chain for chafe protection, then I'd step down to a smaller size, higher strength chain to save weight. In my mind, there's no reason to use anything heavier than 5/16" G43 on something the size of a GB42.

Trying to better understand the chafe concern. I get that you don't want rope rubbing against a rough bottom, but if you have a chain-nylon rode, wouldn't you normally have chain against the bottom anyway? If you are in a dead calm anchorage, I could see that some nylon could rest on the bottom, but in that case is chafe really a concern? And if it really was that calm, you could likely shorten scope till it's only chain resting on the bottom. I'm probably missing something. I don't buy into the all-chain increasing holding power. As the Spade website points out, an all chain rode in rough conditions could actually do more harm by dislodging the anchor if the chain becomes bar tight, as well as putting higher loads on your boat. If you are concerned about holding, you could get a bigger anchor and still carry less weight by getting rid of a couple hundred feet of chain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom