Old 07-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #61
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Before you make the final decision, have you considered the Sarca Excel..?

SARCA in Action - anchorright.com.au

You'd need about a no 6 Excel ie 30kg = 66lb.

For you vessel one of those would be ideal, and they have the reputation of being quick setting in virtually any bottom, and ultra hard holding as well. They are designed for those boats where the anchor shank comes up through the pulpit platform. See their performance on the Anchor setting videos thread if in doubt. They are now available in the US.

FWIW, I have been very happy with my Sarca Excel. It has failed to set only once in the last year and that was on a granite shelf. Every other time it has set fast and been solid.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #62
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The anchor setting vid's are wonderful but there is very little holding power traits revealed there. As it is titled "anchor setting vidio's".
Steve's boat has the same thrust as mine .. about 1000lbs of pulling power. A 40lb anchor needs about 5000lbs of pull to adequately test anchors for holding power. At least the newer anchors.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #63

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
The anchor setting vid's are wonderful but there is very little holding power traits revealed there. As it is titled "anchor setting vidio's".
Steve's boat has the same thrust as mine .. about 1000lbs of pulling power. A 40lb anchor needs about 5000lbs of pull to adequately test anchors for holding power. At least the newer anchors.
Agreed, and essentially an anchor that set very deeply under 1,000 lbs of load would have a more difficult time performing well during Steve's "flip the anchor over" tests.

Stated differently, those anchors which did NOT set deeply would have an easier time shaking off the soil, so to speak, and then re-orienting back into the sea bottom as they were being turned around.
Anchor Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #64
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
All

It appears to me that no test of anchors will ever be definitive so that all parties will agree, there is always something that can be debated from different points of view.

I've decided that it is best to ask a person who once used a particular anchor for his opinion as a person still using a particular anchor still has a vested interest to justify his purchase.

Just my SSO.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #65
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
After this discussion on anchors and reading all I could I don’t think I can fit a Boss on the new boat so I ordered a Spade for the new boat, 120 pounds.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #66
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Used a Rocna Vulcan 40 kg in a 52' boat for two summers in PNW- Alaska.
Sets quickly, resets in changing tides/currents and stays set.

I really like that anchor.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #67

City: Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Europa
We have the 75# standard Rocna on our 42 Europa. We are very satisfied with it and several boaters with similar size boats have expressed to us that they wish they had that larger anchor.
mdhervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #68
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Used a Rocna Vulcan 40 kg in a 52' boat for two summers in PNW- Alaska.
Sets quickly, resets in changing tides/currents and stays set.

I really like that anchor.
Ditto, same anchor and same approximate size boat. Works well for us in all conditions we've seen so far.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #69
Veteran Member

City: Manchester, CT
Vessel Name: Paradis
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Europa
I've been using a CQR 65lb with 3/8 full chain rode and have never had an issue. Just get a good set. I cheat a little and have the boat moving backwards as the anchor is lowered to avoid getting the rode fouled.
Delta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #70
Veteran Member

City: Belfast
Resurrecting an old thread but can anyone advise if the standard roll bar Rocna fits the bow roller of a GB 42 or does it have to be the Vulcan version?
GBNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:10 AM   #71
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBNI View Post
Resurrecting an old thread but can anyone advise if the standard roll bar Rocna fits the bow roller of a GB 42 or does it have to be the Vulcan version?

Regardless of whether the rollbar one fits, it wouldn't be my top pick. Check out the SV Panope anchor tests. The Vulcan (and several other designs) have performed better than the regular Rocna in most of the test scenarios. I'd look at a few of the better performers from those tests, get the dimensions and templates for the desired size from the manufacturer websites and then start measuring to figure out what fits best.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:21 PM   #72
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I have a 25kg Rocna(roll bar), and agree with rslifkin, it would not be my first choice if i had to buy a replacement anchor.

It is a good anchor but I have noticed the same issues as the SV Panope anchor tests highlighted.That is very average holding power at short scope and a slight issue at resetting.Most of the time the anchor preformed well but occasionally it did not, needless to say this was when the weather was challenging.

We have had the Rocna for about 10 years, so I know it pretty well.

After years of chatting with other boat owners and following the various anchor threads posted on the forum, if i was to replace the Rocna I would go with the Sarca Excel
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:05 AM   #73

City: Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 classic
I have a rocna vulcan 55kg (120lb) on my GB49 classic boat weight about 75000 lbs. The vulcan fit on the rollers and nicely with the winch. The roll bar rocna would not fit shank too long. I use wedges on each side of the vulcan to stabilize and to keep it from rolling when secured in the bow pulpit/rollers.
The anchor sets easily with 3 to 1 scope or more. Been using for about 4 years several months per year at anchor with success.
DennisB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #74
Veteran Member

City: Belfast
Vulcan v Windlass

Will the 1000w Lofrans windlass I have (GB42) handle a 33kg Vulcan ok?
GBNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:

Most likely, yes. If you know the model, Lofrans likely gives a working load spec for how much weight they expect it to lift.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:54 PM   #76

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Jane
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
It should. I have same model windlass and it does fine. But I've always eased boat towards anchor with Lofrans pulling in the chain until chain is straight up & down. Then pause for a moment to let boat work anchor up out of the bottom as I "bump" the Lofrans until the anchor pulls out. Vulcan comes out much easier if it's straight up & down.

FYI, the vast majority of my anchoring is in SW Florida which is mostly sand, mud or a mixture of both.

Quote:
FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #77
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
A slightly related story. I put my 20kg vulcan in a 300’ deep blue hole last week. All chain. I wasnt sure how much chain was out.
The chain was rubbing the side of the rock side, but the anchor was hanging clear, 125+ feet down. Calm conditions.
My 1kw Cayman lifted it all, but i did stop halfway for a brief cooldown.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:15 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
A slightly related story. I put my 20kg vulcan in a 300’ deep blue hole last week. All chain. I wasnt sure how much chain was out.
The chain was rubbing the side of the rock side, but the anchor was hanging clear, 125+ feet down. Calm conditions.
My 1kw Cayman lifted it all, but i did stop halfway for a brief cooldown.

That, right there is the reason to size a windlass based on total ground tackle weight, not just weight to lift from maximum expected anchoring depth.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:53 PM   #79
Veteran Member

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Zula
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42C
Dear FBoykin, I’m fascinated to see how our friends are answering every other question except yours. I too am about to add a Rocna to my new to me GB42C.

I’m choosing the 33kg/75# Vulcan and storing my Bruce as backup.

Having cruised for two years crossing the Atlantic in the process, there are anchoring lessons learned; my axioms if you will.

1. If there will be drama - it will happen at 1am.
2. My ground tackle arrangement usually dictated whether I was up and doing anchor watch, or just would just roll over and fall back to sleep … actually, holding like at St Helena island mid Atlantic will raise the prudent sailor every time :-)
3. If In doubt, go up in size
4. Go with the new generation anchors. Most are really material improvements.

To the last point, we’ve been delighted with the original Rocna which we used for a number of years. Setting it was like hitting a wall compared to our previous genuine CQR.

By all accounts, the Vulcan is at least as good, if not better. So…question answered.
Bongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:56 PM   #80
Veteran Member

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Zula
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42C
OK… there comes a time when a man has to admit that he was wrong. Today it is my turn.

I took delivery today of a Rocna original at 33kg / 75lb. It’s monstrous and quite frankly I think just too big for the ..we’ll everything. The bowsprit, the weight of chain and heavy anchor if you have a really deep anchorage …etc.

My windlass would really “wind less” with this and 250” of chain hanging vertically. I have heard of boats losing their ground tackle in these circumstances.

So… I will be taking it back and swapping for a 25kg Rocna Vulcan. That looks more in proportion and quite frankly, plenty big enough ..the Vulcan of course has a slightly larger fluke surface to boot. Apologies for any randomization.
Bongi is offline   Reply With Quote