Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Hobsonville, Auckland
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
Riviera Grand Banks 36 1981

Can anyone confirm when Riviera started making the Grand Banks 36 in Australia?
I read somewhere that mfg started in 1984 and can't find any reference to this on th Riviera website. I have seen reference also to a "1981 Riviera Grand Banks 36" with twin 130hp Volvos.
Does anyone know what hull construction method was used for this model/year (generally or specifically in Aus.) i.e. solid or sandwich GRP/FRP complete hull or below the waterline? The ones I've seen are sedan, aft cockpit style as they are preferred for the antipodean style of boating (fishing from the cockpit).
Any info about these boats would be very welcome.
Thanks, Grae.
Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Grae, Based on unreliable memory, I think from about 1985. 130hp engines sound less power than usual, but it can be confusing, the commonly fitted Volvo 165 could but did not necessarily mean 165hp, for example I think Mariner 31s had 165s of 130hp. Another engine used was Cummins 5.9L, and there were some Volvo 200hp. I`ve not heard of Riv making cored hulls, so that`s unlikely. I don`t think there was ever an aft cabin in the Riv built GBs, the ones they built were a partial redesign (which Marin has strongly criticized). They still bring big $ on the used market.
Andrew Moore, the broker located at Royal Motor Yacht Club on Pittwater could be a good man to ask. AndyG moors at RMYC. Hopefully someone with more direct knowledge will post.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Not sure if this is of interest in your research, Mariner sold a Mariner 36 (and maybe a 39) Trawler in the GB/IG traditional style, usually with twin Lehmans. I`m unsure if Mariner built them here or imported them from Taiwan, but they look nice boats. (Mariner was run by Bill Barry Cotter, he sold it and started Riviera, he sold it and started Maritimo,?watch this space).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #4

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
The Aussy import tax was so high that GB gave license to build to Rivear and Sedan built there. Just google GB 36 Sedan and all info will come up.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote