Old 09-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #81
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Sounds like you are designing, converting and building a hybrid.
What size generator do you have?
Dont make it too complicated, for the next owner.
Document all the changes.
Difficult resale???
Old 09-27-2022, 08:37 AM   #82

City: West Newbury.
Vessel Name: Morning Light
Vessel Model: Webbers Cove 42 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Yup. Plus, removing the big honking ford allows for a TON of LifePOs in it's place to balance the boat.

Hmm.

First, boats with twin screws don't run well with only one screw turning. Much more rudder drag.

Second, if you run with the diesel and back-drive the electric motor as a generator, you'll increase the load on the remaining engine a lot. That assumes that the electrical setup will allow it.

Third, a 100HP electric motor will weigh more than 1,000 pounds, so there will not be a lot of available carrying capacity for a lot more batteries.

Last, I'll bet the motor, together with the reduction gear and the necessary custom weldment to connect the two, and the inverter motor controller to drive it off batteries will cost much much more than a new or rebuilt Ford.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:57 AM   #83
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Running a diesel through a transmission to a propellor to push a boat off-center through the water, then slowing down said boat via another propellor on the other side, through a transmission to a generator... is about the least efficient way imaginable to charge batteries.
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:29 PM   #84

City: Key Biscayne
Vessel Name: Hyperion
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Heritage Classic 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circumnavigator View Post
Hmm.

First, boats with twin screws don't run well with only one screw turning. Much more rudder drag.

Second, if you run with the diesel and back-drive the electric motor as a generator, you'll increase the load on the remaining engine a lot. That assumes that the electrical setup will allow it.

Third, a 100HP electric motor will weigh more than 1,000 pounds, so there will not be a lot of available carrying capacity for a lot more batteries.

Last, I'll bet the motor, together with the reduction gear and the necessary custom weldment to connect the two, and the inverter motor controller to drive it off batteries will cost much much more than a new or rebuilt Ford.

Jim
Answers:

First. I'm sure there are some efficiency losses but I ran the Grand Banks for five days, about 6hrs a day, with a single screw going due to a catastrophic raw water pump failure. The boat ran great. Probably due to the full keel. I also monitored the fluid temperature of the free wheeling transmission but since it was a BW Velvet Drive it was fine the whole time.

Second. I would not do that.

Third. A GB 36 can run quite well with 75. The twin Lehman 120s it has were not picked because it needed 240hp but because that was the most reliable and economical engine in the 70s.

Fourth. I agree. This plan was not a money saving scheme.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
But I think it would be a resale dollar killing setup.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:29 AM   #86
Guru

City: Belgium
To Repair or Sell Grand Banks 36 Classic

If you want to really experiment with a hybrid then one suggestion is find a single and swap the marine gear for one with a PTI. Advance gearbox of China makes these. You’d connect your electric motor to the Power Take In. If you’re on electric then you’re likely powers for about 5 knots and might only need a 20 kW motor for a GB36 size of vessel.

Probably lose zero dollars on resale.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:44 PM   #87

City: Beaufort SC
Vessel Name: EVERFOR
Vessel Model: 36 GB Classic #736
If you have not done anything yet, contact Brian at American Diesel. 804-435-3107. Tell him your story. He knows more about Lehman’s than anyone.
EVERFOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:36 PM   #88

City: Middletown
Vessel Name: Sawadee III
Vessel Model: Pearson 35
Consider looking up John Shanahan Chesapeake Bay Grand Banks Owners Association, Inc. He sponsors this organization, and is a Grand Banks technical expert here on the East Coast. I've seen articles by him discussing installing Yahama engines on GB vessels. His email is jshannahan@gmail.com. He sponsors the above organization.
O: 302 239 9788
funding4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:55 PM   #89
Veteran Member

City: Port Edward
Vessel Name: Shy-Ann 1
Vessel Model: Barryman & Wallace
I had a 1973 Super Bee with a new 383 magnum with mods and a rebuilt transmission with a programming kit Beautiful car and in really nice shape. That thing went like stink. One day it started back firing. Put on a new 4 barrel Holley didn’t fix the problem. Wife at the time had control of the bank account and told me no more dollars for fixes. Bought the car for 2500$ sold it for a 1000$. Turned out be a faulty condenser. 3$ fix.
What I’m saying is pay out some dollars and get someone who is reputable and find out what is truly wrong before throwing in the towel.
Your rad cap will give you 3 degrees increase in water temp before boiling for every pound on the cap. If you have a 50/50 mix of antifreeze it won’t boil until 226 degrees with a zero psi cap. So 220 isn’t really overheating unless you have zero psi cap.
If the thermostat stuck shut it wouldn’t take long for temp to rise. I wonder why the engine wouldn’t turn over for you though.
Would be interesting to find out what your problem was or did you decide to dump the boat?
Old 01-02-2023, 04:16 PM   #90
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
You can buy and burn a lot of diesel in any attempt to offset the cost o converting to a hybrid or total electric.
What if the projected payback time…… compared to your age.
You may come to the same conclusion as myself; let the next owner worry about alll that.

Tags
cummins 6bt, grand banks, lehman, lehman 120, lehman 135