Refurbishing old fiberglass antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dspcole

Veteran Member
Has anyone had any luck lightly sanding and recoating an old FG antenna ? What would be the best coating product ?

I usually just replace them when they get looking bad. But if you are going to try to refurbish them I would use a 2 part poly paint. You can buy it in a spray can but it is expensive, about $80. That is why I would go with a new one.

If small fibers or hairs show through I wouldn’t. That being said I’ve done a couple. A light sanding, wipe down, prime and then paint. I used Interlux Brightside one part Polyurethane.

You might try some white shrink tubing which can be bought by the foot at electronics stores. It may take 2-3 sizes to cover the diameters involved but the overlaps will be almost invisible. Start with the larger and overlap slightly.

I've had a few redone. If any threads are showing, pass a touch by and they will disappear. Lite sand and then several coates of paint if spraying. Think we were painting the charter boat at the time, so it was probably Awlgrip. I had three 20'+ antennas to do, so it was cost effective. Whatever you choose for paint, make absolutely certain it doesn't have any kind of metal in it.

Ted

Not a problem. Hairy glass antennas are easily fixed with a coat or three of any decent exterior paint (like Larry I use Brightside) with sanding between coats to lessen the hair.

A little UV damage to the gel and glass doesn't affect the workings of the antenna so a little beautification as long as your signal strength and reception is good...why not.

how about continuing this discussion with the thought of painting fiberglass boat with paint other than 'Awgrip'? Any souls gone off the reservation with other brands or process?

About the time the glass gets hairy, the coax gets brittle and the outside insulation cracks letting water in making the signal crap. Before you do all that work take a hard look at the coax where the sun shine hits it. Usually not replaceable on non commercial antennas.

It is a good point...... why I use wire loom on the coax from antenna to hull penetration.

hit it with a little sand paper and remove the hairs. then paint on a thin coat of epoxy or resin and topcoat with your favorite coating this has worked for me!

hit it with a little sand paper and remove the hairs. then paint on a thin coat of epoxy or resin and topcoat with your favorite coating this has worked for me!

We used this method, with Smith's penetrating epoxy on a friends boat, sanding the hairs off after the first coat, then painting with white paint after. Friend was Scottish, and often said he had deep pockets, but short arms . . . :whistling:
For me, I'd look at buying a new antenna, then you know what you have, and WILL have for the next 5 to 10 years . . . I'm part Scot as well, but apparently have slightly longer arms . . . :D

I just rolled a bit of self priming acrylic/latex paint on ours when I painted the roof over 5 years ago.
Didn't bother sanding it, it still looks fine

I did sand the roof.

I have since got a new radio and new antenna, old one still in place as a spare.

Are antennae all that expensive that replacement rather spending time and bother is worth it. Not to this guy.

I would say it depends.

A good 10db antenna starts at $350.

Getting some more years out of a perfectly functioning antenna for an hour of work is worth it to me to make it easier to handle and look better.

Last edited:
I would say it depends.

A good 10db antenna starts at $350.

Getting some more years out of a perfectly functioning antenna for an hour of work is worth it to me to make it easier to handle and look better.
Yup, I understand that. But, for me, getting a bit more service for an item that I know I will be replacing anyway and will likely last at least as long as I have years to live is what I do.

Yes, used white rustoleum spray paint after sanding.

Antenna is old, but coax cable is in good shape.

I used 3 coats of bright sides with no sanding. Mine was very hairy and sanding made it worse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom