Questions on 1969 wooden Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I have opportunity to become owner of a 42’ galley up 1969 wooden Grand Banks. Owner of 40 years passed away; boat received diminishing care for several years.

The Good:
1. Twin screw fine running 120 hp Ford Lehman originals in a nice looking, clean, and maintained engine compartment. 590 hrs since both engines were professionally majored.
2. New aluminum fuel tanks installed same time as engine rebuilds.
3. Teak decks with numerous fastener plugs popped out... but, teak looks OK and sealant in joints seems pretty good.
4. All salon cabin windows were professionally replaced some years ago and remain in good condition.
5. Bilge looks clean in accessible areas and no soft wood located.
6. All exterior bright work has been well cared for and bridge deck as well as both cabin tops appear in good condition with good paint, canvas, and upholstery as required. Good condition bimini top too.
7. Hull paint in OK condition.
8. Anodes and bottom paint maintained at two to three year intervals for hauls and diver for bottom cleaning and anode replacements in between. But, no record of bottom refastening

The Bad (not kept in covered berth):

a. Some rot locations along sides in planks toward top edges of hull under gunnels... lower hull planks seem OK??
b. Substantial rot in top three hull planks on both sides of junction to bow stem... the stem seems OK??
c. Some soft areas in transom edges.
d. Teak swim step as well as it fastenings to transom are a question??
e. In forward and rear staterooms water stains on most areas of ceiling fabric (original fabric I believe). Pulled a few locations of completely wasted fabric down and found no soft wood overhead.
f. Some lighter stains in salon ceiling fabric... nowhere near as severe as stains in the staterooms.
g. Rear head needs complete redo – was begun but abandoned.
h. Front head needs much redo – never begun.
i. Considerable mildew on nearly all walls in both staterooms and their heads’ walls... little to no mildew in main salon.

My questions (before I spend considerable $$$ for haul and survey):

What are the chances that teak deck areas (in condition as mentioned above in #3) have ruined their underlayment?
What type of original bottom and hull fasteners were used in 1969 and do you think they could still be in fair condition after 44 years of being in salt water with timely anode replacements?

Any input is appreciated. :thumb:

Thanks! - Art

Last edited:
Join the GB Owners forum Grand Banks Owner's Resources and ask your questions there. There are a lot of GB woody owners on that site as well as former shipwrights and yard owners. You'll get answers there with direct experience behind them, not just a lot of guesses and theories.

Greetings,
Mr. Art. Rot is insidious. If you do all the refurb' work yourself and you have a CHEAP place to work on it and potentially YEARS of time and LOTS of skill and $$$...sure, why not?

I have opportunity to become owner of a 42’ galley up 1969 wooden Grand Banks. Owner of 40 years passed away; boat received diminishing care for several years.

Any input is appreciated. :thumb:
I suggest opening a bottle of your favorite wine, put a log on the fire, sit in your favorite chair and ask yourself: Why do I want to do this? Am I crazy? :facepalm:

Sounds scary.Tread carefully. Refer to "Woodie GB as First Liveaboard", the OP decided not to. There is a mesmerizing attraction in such a traditional boat, but the rot.....
A bit like Walt, if I think of buying another Jaguar I sit down,make coffee and rest til the thought goes, if ever it doesn`t, I`ll seek medical help.

Just tried to sign into GB forum... been fighting virus infection since that moment. Will get back to you all soon as I'm successful. Virus pisses me off! Thanks for your responses!! - Art

Don't know what the problem would be. I've been a member since Jan 2004 and never had a problem with it. Certainly no virus issues stemming from it and I check the site almost every day.

I just checked the site and you are listed as the newest registered user. So you were obviously successful at joining.

Last edited:
Don't know what the problem would be. I've been a member since Jan 2004 and never had a problem with it. Certainly no virus issues stemming from it and I check the site almost every day.

I just checked the site and you are listed as the newest registered user. So you were obviously successful at joining.

This eve my computer came to me, back up and running from IT group I use. They removed virus and did other items today. They felt it may have been attached to some link in GB forum I opened??? Twas was a nasty one.

Anyway... time for me to catch up! :D

Art, If you see that many places with rot started, I would be concerned.

This boat may have a lot more ( bondo covered ) and waiting to be discovered.

I think the wooden GBs are the only wooden boat I would ever consider, they are nice!

Unfortunately they probably cost a lot more in the long run, and can depreciate to Zero.

My 2cents JohnP

Art, If you see that many places with rot started, I would be concerned.

This boat may have a lot more ( bondo covered ) and waiting to be discovered.

I think the wooden GBs are the only wooden boat I would ever consider, they are nice!

Unfortunately they probably cost a lot more in the long run, and can depreciate to Zero.

My 2cents JohnP

Hi John

I thank you and all others who posted to this thread, most with input recommending extreme caution :eek: ... good on ya! :thumb:

Upon careful consideration (and discussion with Admiral) I've carefully decided to pass-by this opportunity for taking on a woody (something I normally recommend against) and will not move forward to own this 1969 42’ Grand Banks with 600 hour majored 120 hp Lehmans and relatively new aluminum fuel tanks - even though I could acquire it reasonable purchase price. The owner’s son has fond memories of growing up since early 1970’s on this GB, realizes the task to bring her back to glory since his dad's long term illness let her slide, and hopes to locate a boat-worthy person who will do so.

What fully turned the tide against my taking on this project and my biggest concern, above and beyond rot that can be located and the wood replaced, is “evidently” a 44 year age of all the GB’s fasteners (no record of refastening). In addition to the many other needs, refastening in its entirity would simply push restoration efforts "over the top". Then – I would have to ask our Aussie mate Matt, aka, "Hendo" to come over for month or two - LOL! ;)

So... I moments ago spoke with Rick the GB owner and she's still for sale. Grand Banks Trawler 42'

If a TF member would like to learn Rick's phone (the owner) ... just PM me. "Ben" on the CL ad is a broker. Rick the owner is best to speak with. Tell him Art sent ya! There's nothing in this for me except to help a classic boat find a new home. :flowers:

Happy Boating Daze! Art :D

Upon careful consideration (and discussion with Admiral) I've carefully decided to pass-by this opportunity for taking on a woody (something I normally recommend against) and will not move forward to own this 1969 42’ Grand Banks
:iagree:
I just knew you would arrive at this decision as you're too analytical to come to any other conclusion. With spring just around the corner, I can understand your thoughts of a new boat. It happens to me every year and passes by the end of March.;)

Everyone who wants a GB, should grab a glass one now. Lots to pick from. Prices very realistic on some.

A 1990 42 on Yachtworld range from 120 to 275 or so--big range.

If the Admiral wanted to boat shop I would be all over the used GBs on the market.

JohnP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom