Old 11-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #1

City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Purchased 2001 Grand Banks Classic

After more than 1 year of searching we finally took the plunge, completed surveys, negotiated, and formally closed this past Monday.

Highlights for us, besides the fact that it's a clean boat inside & outside, were rebuilt engines (long blocks) , SS handrails, L shaped galley, washer/dryer, propane stove, and bow thruster. Yes, it's tight in the ER with the v-8's but every boat is a compromise. The perfect used boat might never come up for sale. Now the challenge is learning the boat - all the mechanics, and how to pilot it good enough to bring it home from CT to Lake Michigan next spring. Even though we have 24 years boating (3 sailboats 25,30,36ft) I will be asking for more help.
But mainly I would like to thank all of you that helped me in this process. I have asked plenty and you have been more than helpful in your responses.
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Congratulations, she's lovely!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Wow, that's a really nice boat!

Question.... I've looked a bit at the Grand Banks. Would love to have the Europa but above my pay grade (maybe).... The Classic like yours looks great, but when I search I only find much older ones... pre '90. Is the 2001 common?

Also, most of the Grand Banks have a draft over 4 feet, which becomes my killer deal as I have shallow water at my dock. What does your have?

Great luck with a great boat!
Old 11-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
That is a nice clean looking boat.

The rebuilt engines are a real plus, from time to time you may find the extra power of those engines useful. And when not needing as much power you will still get reasonable speed at a more relaxed rpm.

Good luck!

Hamish.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Draft is listed at only 4 ft 2in. Yes there are a lot of 80's boat's out there and no doubt some have been taken care of. But we wanted at least a 91 b/c in that year they added a few inches to the length & width. It's harder to find 90's boats but I did look at 3. I made an offer on a 95 that looked half way decent but the owner did not want to negotiate. It's still for sale. The other 2 needed too much work and they are also for sale. We live in Chicago suburbs so I looked at boats in Great Lakes (slim pickins) and east coast. Had my eye on a 2004 in FL but it was scooped up before we could get down to look at it. The 2001 came up and we didn't wait too long to take a look. So the 2001 and the 2004 were the only later model boats in my area to look at. I don't know how many of those models were actually produced though.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
She is quite a nice looking boat.

The broker stumbled a bit when he said the hp which I suspect was 435 hp. It is interesting that they both had their core engine blocks replaced. Given the relatively young age of the boat, that is an indication that they were "rode hard ....." by the previous owner.

Try to keep the power down to displacement speed, about 8-9 kts and they will last much, much longer. Also service the after cooler regularly, every 2-3 years.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Congrats !

One of my favorites.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #8

DavidM, yes 435HP. From what I was told aftercooler problem on one engine caused the big $ engine failure at about 2400 hours. While he had the boat torn apart anyway he decided to replace both engines. So your comment about aftercooler service is well taken and I've heard it before. My only decision now is am I going to do this myself or hire a CAT guy and watch the first time.
I have also asked how to run these engines and I am not going to run these hard. Not to worry as I am not made of money and no need to go fast. We are past sailors! But some say also not to run them too lightly? I think at a minimum you have to run them up 10 or 15 minutes at a higher rpm (spooled up) to reduce carbon build up in the engine and on turbine blades. What say you guys?
Old 11-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats on your new boat. It will be a fune trip home if you can get into Canada. We bought our boat in Virginia 5 years ago and ran it home the next spring. The TSW is awesome. Hope you can get to go that way.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Congratulations, she is a gorgeous vessel!
Old 11-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #11
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Envious of the aft cabin. Congratulations.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat T View Post
DavidM, yes 435HP. From what I was told aftercooler problem on one engine caused the big $ engine failure at about 2400 hours. While he had the boat torn apart anyway he decided to replace both engines. So your comment about aftercooler service is well taken and I've heard it before. My only decision now is am I going to do this myself or hire a CAT guy and watch the first time.
I have also asked how to run these engines and I am not going to run these hard. Not to worry as I am not made of money and no need to go fast. We are past sailors! But some say also not to run them too lightly? I think at a minimum you have to run them up 10 or 15 minutes at a higher rpm (spooled up) to reduce carbon build up in the engine and on turbine blades. What say you guys?
I haven't done an after cooler job on a Cat, but I don't think it is beyond the skills of a competent DIYer. First read Tony Athens discussions on servicing Cummins and Yanmars on Sbmar.com in the Tony's Tips section.

Perhaps the most challenging will be to pressure test it after reassembly. You can usually borrow a radiator pressure testing kit from your local auto parts store and adapt it with PVC fittings. If it will hold 15 psi for 30 minutes, it is fine.

But you can take it to a radiator shop and they will pressure test it for you.

Insofar as running easy, Tony Athens again once said he has never seen a diesel engine damaged by running lightly loaded. But it can build up soot which as you note can be blown out by running at a heavy load for 15 minutes after a day's cruising lightly loaded. Do this at 3-400 rpm off of wot rated rpms.

Also you might also want to check your props. First get a digital photo tach and calibrate your dash tach near wot for both engines. Then see what rpm the engines will turn at wot. They should hit the rated 2,800 rpm or preferably a bit more. If lower than 2,800 look into hull and prop cleaning or perhaps you need to correct the prop pitch to achieve 2,800+. But no worries if you always run near hull speed if you are a hundred or so low.

And BTW those engines can be run harder if you like to push the boat above hull speed to 12 kts or so as long as the props are right, but don't push the boat to 15 kts as I suspect that much load will be too much for good long term life.

Good luck.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote