Nice GB Europa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
This one popped up on my "Personal Boat Shopper" notification e-mail this morning. It looks like a very nice, well cared for and outfitted boat.

Marin - As our resident GB expert, I was wondering if you'd care to give your opinion on this one? Yeah, it's a single, but I very strongly prefer that. And it has a flybridge, that's a "must have' for me.

I'm going to start a more serious boat search soon. I've decided that Moon Dance is going on the market in the Spring and I'm going bigger and newer. Well, that's the plan anyhow, we'll see how it plays out.

1985 Grand Banks 42 Europa Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Greetings,
Mr. Lurker. As to this particular vessel, I'd be concerned about lack of direct deck access on the port side, the "strange" location of the galley and the shortage of berths (sleeps 4 AFAIK). Otherwise, she appears to be clean and well outfitted for her use and cruising grounds. I like the idea of the trolling valve.

The GB 42 Europas all see to suffer from that.

Some differences (pros & cons) we noticed with the GB42:

Lack of a port walk-through door (more galley working surfaces)
Small V-Berth master (allows wet shower)
Tighter engine room (larger lazarette)

Our CHB42 Europa is much more spacious in the master and a nicer sized head up there. This on does seem to be well appointed though. But might be a bit on the spendy side?

Marin - As our resident GB expert, I was wondering if you'd care to give your opinion on this one? Yeah, it's a single, but I very strongly prefer that. And it has a flybridge, that's a "must have' for me.

]

First, I'm not a Grand Banks expert by any means. If you have specific questions about this boat I suggest you join the Grand Banks Owners forum Grand Banks Owner's Resources and ask away.

I am very familiar with this brokerage--- we pass their dock of sale and charter GBs every time we go to our boat. If you want to talk to someone directly about this boat I suggest you call Scott Blake, their lead broker. He found our boat for us in 1998 and is everything a broker should be but often isn't.

All that said, this appears to be a very nice boat. The lack of a side door on the port side is totally irrelevant as far as we're concerned. Our boat doesn't have one and we've never wished it did. The 1991 GB36 we chartered before we bought our boat did have a side door on the port side and we never used it. You've good deck access from the starboard door and great deck access from the aft door, something a GB Classic (tri-cabin) does not have at all.

What is great about the Europa configuration is the aft deck and the access to it from the main cabin. In this climate a Europa, be it a pilothouse boat or a one-level boat like a GB, is the best configuration there is because of our rainy, windy, cold-ish weather. The covered aft deck, which can be enclosed with transparent curtains if you like, lets you be "outside" without being outside. Conversely if you are in a hot area the covered aft deck will provide a shaded place to be outside.

The FL135 is an engine I know almost nothing about. It represents an improvement over the FL120, not only in power but in servicing---- if nothing else you don't have to change the fuel injection pump's lube oil every 50 hours. The FL135's pump is lubed by the engine. Keith of this forum has an FL135 in his Krogen I believe, so he could offer more meaningful opinions of the engine than I can.

At first glance the interior configuration is very nice on this boat. A Force 10 range is great---we put one on our boat within a week or two of buying the boat and in the 14 years we've had the boat it's performance has been flawless. My wife preferred cooking on the GB to cooking at home until last week when we had the kitchen plumbed for gas and installed a gas stove-electric oven range in place of the all-electric range the house came with. But for a boat, as far as we're concerned you can't do better than a Force 10.

We installed a Lofrans horizontal windlass on our boat a few years ago and it's terrific. I'm not familiar with their vertical windlasses but if their performance and reliability is anything like ours, it's a winner.

The refrigeration system seems very good. For this area, the new cabin heat system is a major plus. The electronics are good. I'm not a huge fan of Onan but ours is a million years old and still runs fine so perhaps it's not so much I don't like Onans as it is I prefer Northern Lights.

It's nice to have two heads, which this boat doesn't, but that's to be expected in a Europa of this size. It's one advantage of the Classic configuration over the Europa unless you get a big one, like GB46 or 52.

A separate shower stall is nice but not essential in our opinions. We don't have one, there is curtain that makes our "stall" in the aft head. The arrangement in this 42 is better than ours and roomier to boot. So as far as we're concerned, it would work just great.

I would like to see more holding tank capacity than 30 gallons. We have a 40 gallon tank for the forward head and a 25 gallon tank for the aft head. We use the aft head the most and this tank gives us perhaps four days of use. In a pinch we could probably stretch it to five.

I don't like dinghies carried on boat decks for several reasons but it's a common practice on boats of this type. So if you prefer that arrangement, this boat has it.

One thing I don't see is any reference to a bow thruster (unless I overlooked it). Doesn't mean it doesn't have one--- things get left off listings. Our boat had an autopilot that was never mentioned in the listing. But with a single engine boat this long and with this much windage I would like a bow thruster. You can always add one, of course.

The price is lower than I thought it would have been given the boat's description and appearance in the photos. But I don't track boat prices so perhaps it's right where it should be given the economy and the market.

Things I would want to know about are all the usual suspects---- window integrity, teak deck integrity, door and hatch integrity, anchor rode condition, emergency tiller, exhaust system integrity, and so on.

It's apparently a new arrival at Northwest Explorations. I don't recognize the name but then again they have so many boats we don't pay much attention to them. We'll probably see it when we go to our boat this weekend.

I've been on a few GB42s and it's surprising how much extra interior volume you get over the GB36 even though we're only talking a six foot difference in length. Based on what I see on the listing url it looks like a great boat to me. But as you know, photos and listings don't tell you too much other than the basics.

Last edited:
This one popped up on my "Personal Boat Shopper" notification e-mail this morning. It looks like a very nice, well cared for and outfitted boat.

BL:

I know, nobody asked me.

I disagree with Marin about this boat. I don't think you will like it. And I think it is overpriced.

You have a MT 34, so you have just as much interior space as this 42 already, due to its wide side decks and very skinny cabin. Just look at the accommodation. Yours is every bit as big. the only thing you would gain is the size of the stern deck and a couple of feet in the saloon.

Also, it only has one engine! Big mistake. You should try twins. I think you would never regret it.

Well, with all due respect Koliver, I have to disagree with you. As it happens I have exactly the same boat as B/Lurker, and I have been on one of these GB42s. It is much roomier - in fact compared to our current boats, one to die for...almost. Sure, not perfect, but damn near it. That layout with galley opposite the helm and U-shaped works really well. I hate this trend for the galley to take up a huge area all along one side of the saloon. I much prefer to have a settee opposite the separated seating side like this does, so when entertaining and chatting one is facing guests, rather than all on one side like at a movie theatre, like some boats.
However....if Darrell was to get one of these I would be hard pressed to not turn a wee bit green...so DON'T GET ONE Darrell...you wouldn't want me to go all green would you...?

Darrell, how would you get that boat back to MD? Are you really considering a boat that far away?

Thanks to all for the input. Lots of good stuff there to consider.

Peter - nothing to worry about just yet. I'm just starting my next 5 year plan. (5 year plan - Sounds very old school Soviet, doesn't it?)

My previous 5 year plan was to get a powerboat, figure out how it works and see if I like it as much as sailing. The jury's in - it's easy and fun, if a bit expensive.

The next 5 year plan is to get Moon Dance spiffed up a bit, sell her and get something more in line with what I want/need now that I have a little bit of a clue as to what I'm getting into. I don't want to start a fleet, I already have the Flying Scott and the MT .... I can't add a 3rd boat!

I need to have these (relatively) short term goals and/or adventures. Otherwise I get bored and then in trouble. :nonono:

Greetings,
Mr. ARoss. I think the trip from WA to MD is fairly straight forward. Out of the harbor, turn left to Panama, turn left to FL and finally turn left to MD. All left turns right? I looked at my Shell road map and it's only about 6". Easy peasy.
Now Mr. Lurker....What kind of anchor are you going to put on her?

Greetings,
Mr. ARoss. I think the trip from WA to MD is fairly straight forward. Out of the harbor, turn left to Panama, turn left to FL and finally turn left to MD. All left turns right? I looked at my Shell road map and it's only about 6". Easy peasy.
Now Mr. Lurker....What kind of anchor are you going to put on her?

Left, left, left ... sounds like a NASCAR racetrack ... how hard can it be?

Darrell, how would you get that boat back to MD? Are you really considering a boat that far away?

Al - Not an issue just yet. I'm in the early lookie-lou stage right now. And, who knows? By the time I'm ready to pull the trigger my job may have wound down to the point where I can actually take something resembling a vacation and have the time to USE a boat. But, yeah, West Coast boats may be too far a reach.

Greetings,
A VERY close friend had a 3 year plan to buy a newer, larger house. Strangely enough, that 3 year plan matured in 2 months! (See posts #'s 58 and 59 in the Tides and Forward Progress thread). I concur, west coast boats may be too far.

Our boat is an obvious knock-off of the GB42 EU and the port side wheel house door is very handy. I'm not sure if it's an option on the GB or not, but I certainly like it. GB Europa models also sat the saloon farther forward than mine. This gives you a bigger lazarette and aft cockpit, but a smaller saloon and smaller forward master. This also moves the lazarette bulkhead forward, decreasing the space in the engine room.

I've done extensive comparisons of the GB42 and their CHB cousins. They're great boats, especially for climates like we have here in the NW. The GB42 EU does extend the hard top further aft which gives more coverage of the already larger rear cockpit. It's a give and take, with only so much room. Europas are really nice boats though. You lose a little of interior for those covered gallery walkways, but its an easy trade if you have any inclement weather.

My Take
  • NW Explorations is the premier GB broker in the PNW. They know their vessels and Brian Pemberton is a class act.
  • Plan on a near term total engine/transmission rebuild - it is a single and requires tip top condition to safely cruise the PNW.
  • Dinghy?
  • Radar dated
  • AC?
  • Bow thruster?
  • New furnace and inverter shows some owner $$ were spent, but was this stuff added to sell it (bad) or cause the owner was proactive (good).
  • Could owner stateroom V berths be rearranged to a single queen?
  • If you have a deep wallet/skills to add the above missing stuff, this would be a very nice vessel.

I only see two real serious questions here.

Since the boat is a single that should dominate the yay/nay here. Especially since singles are rare in this boat. Lurker feels strongly on this issue and that in my opinion should be by far the question of most importance. In these GBs I'd rather have a twin w two 75hp engines so buying a boat w at least one wasted engine and a good price re that could lead the way to a repower to get the ideal boat if in fact it would be. For me I'd like to have a twin w the power of a single.

It looks like a real nice and well kept boat and I can see why Lurker wants it but I think he needs beyond a doubt to get this twin/single thing right ... for him. And since many feel that a single is actually more desirable than a twin this price may/could be high because of that.

The buyer is 3000 miles from the boat. At first I thought that was just crazy. But I think it must be looked at by just factoring in the cost of transport to the price and making the decision as though the boat were 20 miles away. In short is it worth it or not.

In looking at the photo of the helm station I wonder if this boat does, in fact, have a bow thruster. There is what appears to be a joy stick control at the lower right corner of the instrument console. It's bigger than what I would expect for a bow thruster, but the only thruster we have used was in the GB36 we chartered before buying our own boat. It's thruster control was a smallish spring-loaded left-center-right rotating knob. So perhaps some makes of thruster use a larger control like this.

If it's not a bow thruster control then my guess is it's the trolling valve that is listed in the specs.

I only see two real serious questions here.

Since the boat is a single that should dominate the yay/nay here. Especially since singles are rare in this boat. Lurker feels strongly on this issue and that in my opinion should be by far the question of most importance. In these GBs I'd rather have a twin w two 75hp engines so buying a boat w at least one wasted engine and a good price re that could lead the way to a repower to get the ideal boat if in fact it would be. For me I'd like to have a twin w the power of a single.

It looks like a real nice and well kept boat and I can see why Lurker wants it but I think he needs beyond a doubt to get this twin/single thing right ... for him. And since many feel that a single is actually more desirable than a twin this price may/could be high because of that.

The buyer is 3000 miles from the boat. At first I thought that was just crazy. But I think it must be looked at by just factoring in the cost of transport to the price and making the decision as though the boat were 20 miles away. In short is it worth it or not.

My Take

• Plan on a near term total engine/transmission rebuild - it is a single and requires tip top condition to safely cruise the PNW.

Everything I hear about PNW boating sounds too scary to me. Insane tide rips, crossing the bar to enter rivers, fog, snow, bears, rocks, deadheads everywhere ....

IF, big IF, I were to get a boat from the West Coast I'd be getting her back East post-haste!

No kidding...

I'm surprised to hear anyone survives it. :)

It's a 5 year plan. Plenty of things could happen in 5 years:

In 5 years you might find a boat on the east coast.

In 5 years you might relocate to the west coast.

In 5 years you might be dead.

Everything I hear about PNW boating sounds too scary to me. Insane tide rips, crossing the bar to enter rivers, fog, snow, bears, rocks, deadheads everywhere ....

Everything you hear is correct. The life expectancy of a recreational cruiser owner up here is 8.576 years. If the tide rips don't get him the whirlpools will, or the non-existent visibility will put him on the rocks, or the monster waves outside every harbor will pitchpole him. And even if he manages to avoid all that, it's just a matter of time before a passing orca pod or sperm whale will simply get pissed at the sight of his boat and sink it. My wife and I have been lucky so far but we are well aware we are living on borrowed time every time we take either of the boats out.

IF, big IF, I were to get a boat from the West Coast I'd be getting her back East post-haste!
Something to keep in mind in this regard. We had our GB36 trucked up from SFO Bay. The company that did the haul, Associated, is one of the most experienced marine trucking firms in the business. They told us that in the western US the largest GB that can be trucked without removing the flying bridge is a GB36. The marine haulers use, or should use, special lowboy trailers that drop the forefoot of the boat nearly to the pavement, which gives a bit more vertical clearance to bridges and overpasses.

They said in the eastern part of the US, and particularly New England, even a GB36 my have to have the flying bridge removed depending on the route, because of the much older bridges and overpasses that tend to have lower clearances than the newer ones out west.

So while trucking is a very viable option and, in our case, cost the same as hiring a delivery skipper, if you get a boat the size of the GB42 in your ad, the flying bridge will have to come off. This is no big deal--- the flying bridges of GBs and probably other makes too, are designed for this. But it does take time at both ends to take it off and pack it and then replace it at the other end. And unless you elect to do this all yourself, the labor cost is something you'll need to figure in.

... the flying bridges of GBs and probably other makes too, are designed for this. But it does take time at both ends to take it off and pack it and then replace it at the other end. And unless you elect to do this all yourself, the labor cost is something you'll need to figure in.

Mine removes very easy. I was just replacing the flybridge canvas and exploring around I realized there are only a handful of 1/2" bolts holding the entire thing on. Toughest part would be disconnecting the wiring and hydraulics and then packing it as you describe.

It would still be a pretty spendy haul.

That's all just smoke from Marin to keep people away.:D

And it's WORKING. Our immigrants-from-other-states rate has been going down the last few years if the news is to be believed.

And with the weather getting more overcast and rainy more days of the year now thanks to climate change, we're hoping that more and more residents start moving away.

Of course if they don't we can just crank up Mount St. Helens again.:thumb: It's always good to have a carry permit for a volcano.

Does the 7437 engine hours alarm anyone? Seems high to me, but I don't know Lehmans.

Seriously Darrell, if you are not seriously looking yet, then forget this one, and just keep an eye out in your nearer market. Even over here, one of those comes up for sale within an hours drive of me on a regular basis, so I expect the same over there or moreso. All that expense to truck or move one from one coast to the other would be dubious economics in my view. And no, I'm not plotting to sneak over and grab it.

We had our 44 (48 OAL) hauled from Texas to Michigan some years ago. I insisted that the flybridge stay attached. The trucker worked around that restriction by providing a lead "pole" truck/car. The route instructions on the gps route plan in the lead vehicle identified bridges/overpasses that were too low for the load, and also specified work around routing....typically taking the exit/entry ramp to bypass an obstruction. The trip took a bit longer and the extra truck was an additional cost, but it was largely offset by avoiding disassembly and reassembly costs associated with removing the flybridge. In fact, for our boat, the flybridge would have likely required a second (smaller) flatbed truck anyway. The 1400 mile trip including partial disassembly, loading, and unloading cost was $9K in 2006...I'd guess about $12K today. The dink rode on a rack over the rear wheel truck on the tractor. Worked out well.

Not to worry, Peter. When handing over large piles of cash I tend to move even slower than our boats.

Greetings,
Mr. RickB. I've been looking at that one....I don't think it'll ever happen though....But on the other hand.....

Back
Top Bottom