Old 07-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

City: Central NY
GB 32 Fuel Tanks

Hi Everyone,

I had the pleasure to visit a 1977, GB 32 over the weekend. Based on a cursory pass through she looked to be in good condition and showed very well, but one thing caught my attention was the fuel tanks. The current owner had the tanks replaced a year or two ago, but for whatever reason instead of replacing the old steel 120s with new 120s he put in two 25s. So my question is what would the cost be to have the current 25s removed (should be relatively easy) and new 120s or 100s installed. It is my understanding that much of the cost is associated with getting the old tanks out. Also what is the largest tank that can be installed without pulling the engine?

Best Regards,

Brad
Tin_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Hi Brad. Welcome!

There a a number of fuel tank replacement threads here on the site. This one in particular (on a KK 42) outlines the entire process including a tally of costs:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ent-28204.html

It's typical to replace with multiple smaller tanks as they are easier to install.

While each boat is different GBs have a reputation for tank replacements - so much so that some boatyards specialize in that work.

Seems like removing a 25 gal tank would be pretty simple.

New tanks can be fabricated or you may get lucky with off the shelf tanks. Again, combining multiple tanks per side reduces the need for an engine pull.

as far as the largest tank without engine removal, completely dependent on the ER layout.

Hopefully someone on the forum can give you some leads on shops specialize in GB tanks who could probably give you a good idea of what's possible and involved over the phone.

Finally, I'd expect for a BIG discount for a GB that only had 50 gals on fuel capacity.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
The only real cost would be the fabrication of the new tanks. Getting the old out will be very easy. The procedure is to measure the largest size that will go through the doors etc. and then stack them up, hook them all together, make sure there is a drain and a clean-out in each, then pile them up. Some GBs had large holes cut in the sides so the old tanks could fall out then either new ones were put in of the same approximate size or they were stacked as described. If you go on Youtube there is a video of a yard cutting giant holes in a hull and letting the tanks fall out. Gruesome and scary!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Campbell River
Vessel Model: 1967 Grand Banks 32 Sedan
We have a GB32 that had the tanks replaced and they are done in two a side, roughly 50 us gallons per tank for a total of 200 us gallons. The fit through the hatch and down into place, the tough part is getting the old ones out and that's already done. They were made by a place in Bellingham I believe. If you need more info PM me and I can send you pics
Marinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis MD
Vessel Name: Snowbird
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
My 1977 GB 32 had new tanks (aluminum) when I bought it last year -- one of the reasons I bought that specific boat. There are two tanks on each side, slightly less than 50 gallons each. Each pair is connected by a large hose and the pair is linked across the boat to the other pair with shutoffs that permit draw and return from either side. Works perfectly and the tanks are now small enough that removing them sometime in the future should be pretty simple.
Based on my recent trip from Florida to Maryland, the single 135 American Diesel (2001) burns only about 1.6 gal/hr at 7 knots, so the range with this tankage is more than 700 miles. For most local cruisers, I'll bet that smaller tanks would be enough.
tomdove is offline   Reply With Quote