Mufflers and Anti-Siphon Loop on 42 Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roddy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4387
Could anyone take pictures of muffler setup, anti-siphon loop and hangers.
If could indulge for some measurements from agile owners?
Looking at purchasing 42 Classic where owner straight piped both Lehman 120's. Hoses laying low on hull beside fuel tanks, must be lots of water in them!
I want to understand how exhaust hose to transom is supported. Its a long heavy hose that fiberglass muffler outlet couldn't support without hangers.
He was lucky that engines haven't suffered flooding. Engine survey will check for this specifically...
Thanks Rod

Exhaust hose

I suggest you replace the hose with fiberglass pipe (not PVC) which is lighter weight and longer lasting. You can use pipe hanger strap which is galvanized and can be attached to overhead beams. You need to keep some small sections of the hose to provide flexibility.

Glasspiperesize.jpgThis was one of my projects. The port muffler was overheated at some point and started leaking, plus the hose was in terrible condition.

Huge ulsters in the old exhaust hose and the port muffler. My engines are Cat 3208's.

Attachments

• exhaustresize.jpg
    exhaustresize.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 18
  • mufclztresiz.jpg
    mufclztresiz.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 18
Here is the lift muffler arrangement on my former 1972 Grand Banks 42 classic. The exhaust hoses are the original and still kicking with the current owner. The hose going up to the engine room overhead has one steel loop giving it some support a little bit above the photo's frame.

Attachments

• Stbd eng muffler system.jpg
    Stbd eng muffler system.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the information. Ended up not pursuing this vessel as she has too much deferred maintenance and out right maintenance short cuts. Rube Goldberg, would be proud!
1977 GB is still fore sale with different broker in Anacortes...
Watch port fuel tank as rust is inch thick on the bottom and outboard of port tank plus 1/2 of flakes laying on hull.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom