Lugger L668D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GH41

I have been looking for the right GB36 Europa for some time. Most seem to have single 300HP Cats but a few have twin Cummins 4 cylinders. I want single screw but often wondered why they put that much horsepower in a boat with a 8 1/2 kt hull speed. I know you can push them harder/faster at the expense of fuel and willingness to drag half the ocean behind the boat. I have found a 1998 Europa that is 12 hours away and checks most of my boxes. The engine is a John Deere based Lugger L668D rated for continuous duty at 130 horsepower. I have never seen this combination before. What do you guys think about this combo? I can live at 7 1/2 knots. Is this possible?

Sounds like a good match of hp to boat. You will probably run at 30-50hp to cruise and that is a happy spot for a Deere 6068. Lugger usually does a good job marinizing the engines they buy. And Deere makes a good base engine.

Your response should be centered on the following;

1. Determine what the design speed is. All boats are designed for a relatively specific speed range. Sure most all boats can be driven faster but always at a cost. And boats going slower than their design speed is less than ideal too.

2. Bigger engines weigh more and weight is the enemy of performance. The most profound element of the trawler boat is weight. They are heavier than most other types. So installing a bigger engine in a trawler can quickly result in a doggy and usually wet boat depending on how many people are onboard and how much fuel is in the tanks. Long range is considered a “must have” by most trawler owners and for several reasons most of us keep fuel tanks close to full. Rarely is over half of that fuel used so this is another source of unnecessary weight.
And bigger engines will typically be underloaded so the owner can feel safer thinking he can outrun bad weather. It can happen but rarely does.

3. Cost. Simple, bigger engines are expensive.

4. Boat responsiveness. This is of course highly related to the weight factor. Some boat movements are welcome like the ability to rise up to a head sea and others are not. The ability to turn is dependent on weight too but mostly weight distribution. A boat heavy at the ends will respond sluggishly to the helm. But even weight amidships is a negative re maneuverability except regarding roll. Weight (even ballast) can be of help slowing the roll rate and chine design is heavily involved too.

So over powering a boat is mostly a negative and especially as it makes a heavy boat (a trawler) even heavier.

My opinion is to install an engine w/o excess power or excess weight. A GB 36 w a single engine weighs 2-3000lbs less and is better for it. A GB 42 is a bigger boat and can carry more weight. And it needs more power to run at it’s design speed. Frequently stock boats are a good balanced design In one engine configuration. I’m not saying don’t buy a GB 36. And I prefer twins. But the single is a better boat regarding this thread.

The engine is a John Deere based Lugger L668D rated for continuous duty at 130 horsepower. I have never seen this combination before. What do you guys think about this combo? I can live at 7 1/2 knots. Is this possible?

Are you asking specifically About the engine itself, or that engine in that boat?

Last edited:
The reason I asked the question is because I can talk to Luggers, but not the particular application in that boat.

I have twin Lugger 6068T 174s.

BTW, there is no Lugger company, they were made by Northern Lights. They called their propulsion engines Luggers and their generators Northern Lights.

They got out of the propulsion business after a new set of emission standards were issued that they felt wasn't worth upgrading their engine to, plus John Deere started building their own marine engines.

[Hmmm, I was responding to a post from OldCodger which has now disappeared, strange!]

Last edited:
menzies,
He says “combination before” so I think he’s talk’in boat and engine.

GH41,
One of my best former boats was a 36' GB with a single Ford Lehman 120 HP. Great set up, plenty of power for that hull. The Deere should be perfect in the boat you're considering, IMHO.

Seems to me when I was boat shopping I found one or two GB’s w a John Deere engine. No mention of any other brand like Lugger.

I think it was a bit more powerful too like 160hp. And may have been a GB factory installation when new. Like an option.

Grand Banks- & a Lugger L668D - John Deere 6068

Go for it. --

Lugers are John Deere engines with their marine package on it.

Very reliable, good power to weight ratio. Parts available world wide.

Lugger's & John Deere's are Standard equipment in Nordhavn & Kadey-Krogen boats, which speaks well for them as that is good company.

I have run a John Deere 6068 engine hard & have been very happy with it.

Keep the diesel fuel clean by using 2 micron fuel filters & they are very happy at 1500 RPM & 1800 RPM & can run there all day & all night for days on end.

It is a good combo.

Cruise of 7.2 knots continuous at S/L ratio of 1.2 --
if your OK with that - go for it.

Top speed of 8 knots.

Have fun.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Last edited:
For comparison, we have a JD 4045 rated @ 107hp continuous in a 40’ boat that displaces 55,000. No issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom