Old 06-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

City: Osage Beach
Jewel Or Fool; GB42 1983 purchase/value

Hello Mariners, I am looking at a GB42, 1983, hull #834. Twin 3208 cats, 2200 hours. I value all opinions on whether to make an offer or not and how much$ to offer…. all exterior teak needs to be redone but Is solid. Windows need work frames Solid. Teak deck is in poor shape And Appears to be laid over fiberglass… Teak plugs are poping out of deck. She has been in freshwater since approximately 09. Salt before that. Appears she is missing her sail and mast. Engines have not been started in the past six years. Interior teak is near perfect. I have pictures!
Thank you!!!
CaptainScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

City: Orlando, FL
Vessel Name: Barefoot Key
Vessel Model: Marine trader laBelle 40
Here is what I believe, and have been boating for 60 years safely following it. Old boats are affordable, if you negotiate a fair price. For someone like me, a school teacher, it is the only way we can get on the water. That said, old trawlers are a lot of work. It sounds to me like the windows are leaking into the cabin, causing rot and woodwork inside. The teak deck is probably allowing water into the subdeck, causing rot and mysterious leaks in the cabin that seem to come from nowhere.
If the engines start, they still need a lot of attention, dry rot in the hoses, scrub the fuel, pray no water was sitting in the cylinders from just non use.
Grand Banks are great boats, so the bones are strong. I would say 25,000-45,000 depending on the engines. my 2 cents, based on buying 10 old boats along the way and losing money on 6 of them in resale.
rmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Thank you! The interior teak is near perfect. She is under a covered dock in fresh water since 09. I'm concerned about the teak deck. I see no signs of water leaking inside anywhere.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
Here is what I believe, and have been boating for 60 years safely following it. Old boats are affordable, if you negotiate a fair price. For someone like me, a school teacher, it is the only way we can get on the water. That said, old trawlers are a lot of work. It sounds to me like the windows are leaking into the cabin, causing rot and woodwork inside. The teak deck is probably allowing water into the subdeck, causing rot and mysterious leaks in the cabin that seem to come from nowhere.
If the engines start, they still need a lot of attention, dry rot in the hoses, scrub the fuel, pray no water was sitting in the cylinders from just non use.
Grand Banks are great boats, so the bones are strong. I would say 25,000-45,000 depending on the engines. my 2 cents, based on buying 10 old boats along the way and losing money on 6 of them in resale.
I was thinking if I did some of the labor myself $20,000 in repairs and $20,000 for purchase. I would have a survey done and a diesel mechanic inspect the engines.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

yeah, here's the thing. If I am reading this right, the boat hasn't moved from a covered slip in 6 years. My bet is that as soon as you are out in a strong rain, it will rain inside as well. No damage just means no rain, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

20,000 would probably be a good deal, with the inspections.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
yeah, here's the thing. If I am reading this right, the boat hasn't moved from a covered slip in 6 years. My bet is that as soon as you are out in a strong rain, it will rain inside as well. No damage just means no rain, but I could be wrong.
Yes I'm sure she leaks but I'm not sure she has much damage yet. From what I understand if the teak plugs are poped water can get inside. My plan was to restore deck where she sits then possibly move her to the ocean for a live aboard and light usage.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScotty View Post
Yes I'm sure she leaks but I'm not sure she has much damage yet. From what I understand if the teak plugs are poped water can get inside. My plan was to restore deck where she sits then possibly move her to the ocean for a live aboard and light usage.
As a bonus I would prefer not to lose money on this so I appreciate your expertise. Sounds like you've done a lot of restoration! that's too bad you didn't make money on most of the vessels I understand that could be a money hole . I own a 81 Trojan F 36 tri cabin.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #9
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
If the boat were under cover the decks would not have degraded so much - that happened prior. Huge potential issue is rust damage to tanks - impossible to operate, insure, and probably even moor a vessel with failing tanks.

Keith
Old 06-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
If the boat were under cover the decks would not have degraded so much - that happened prior. Huge potential issue is rust damage to tanks - impossible to operate, insure, and probably even moor a vessel with failing tanks.

Keith
Thx Keith, I did see that tanks could be a problem. Would the surveyor find this or should I figure new tank replacement into the equation
Old 06-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Thx Keith, I did see that tanks could be a problem. Would the surveyor find this or should I figure new tank replacement into the equation
It may be a deal killer or you roll the dice. The tanks are 30 plus years old. I received a quote today just for the fabrication of 2 tanks, $13,566. You may want to double that for the job.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
It may be a deal killer or you roll the dice. The tanks are 30 plus years old. I received a quote today just for the fabrication of 2 tanks, $13,566. You may want to double that for the job.
And you can do a lot of checking on the tanks yourself, without needing to pay a surveyor. (I am NOT saying do not get a surveyor! Merely that you can do some preliminary work yourself.). Get a good flashlight (a headband LED flashlight is good) and check for rust. Feel as much of the tanks as you can, especially underneath, and see if you feel any moisture. And trust your smell, or the smell of your significant other. Diesel fuel which has leaked out slowly over a long period of time has a very distinctive smell. How do I know? Because I have been there and done that. :-)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #13
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Roughly 20k for tank replacement.

Take a hose down to the boat and let it run on the the decks, house sides, window frames and roof. There will most likely be some leakage.

I would recommend a haul out to get a close look at the hull especially around the exhaust outlets.

Take a close look at the wiring under the upper and lower helm stations.

Check every hose in the boat including the head and fresh water plumbing.

Pull up the floor plates in the v-berth and get a look at the bilge and shower sump, do the same aft.

Get an engine survey before the oil is changed.

Have fun and enjoy!

Bob
Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Not sure what options for a "trawler" are available in Missouri, but have you considered something smaller? Like a GB36? We are talking about the "big" items, but there undoubtedly many "small" items. And we haven't talked about electronics. Or dinghy. Anyway, when you have all of those fixed you're still going to have a boat that is going to cost...$1K per month? Everything about this boat is going to be more expensive than a more modest vessel. More bottom paint. More fuel. More and longer wires. More and larger windows. More penetrations to seal. It goes on, and on, and on. And if you're really only panting after this boat because of the low price...I think you're going to pour a ton of effort into something that is going to end up selling for...what you're buying it for.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #15

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
I recently purchased a trawler that needed/needs TLC. Deals are out there and you may be able to get something that doesn't require as much work as this boat sounds like it may need. Like RMORRIS, getting in inexpensively was important, but the basics needed to be there. I guess it depends on what you want to do this summer. One boat I looked seriously at was a MT that would have put enjoyment off for 2 years, so I passed on it after digging into it's needs.

We've done a lot since March, but can enjoy it in the mean time.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Interesting...

A Trawler on Lake Of The Ozarks.

I grew up ther, several decades ago...

Good luck.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #17
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. By the time you have fixed all the crap and spent all the money you could have been boating on a nice one.

Even starting with a "nice one" you will be staggered by the amount of work a nice one needs. If the deck bungs are out it means the decks are very thin and can't be fixed, they must be replaced.

It took me two weeks of daily work to redo the finish on the outside teak and I only put on 4 coats. My boat was already in good to excellent condition and it was 10' shorter than this one.

Walk away.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
If the interior shows no sign of moisture intrusion, then things may not be that bad. The deck might be an issue, but the water gets in through the screw holes under the plugs and into the fibreglass layer under that, and if it has been covered a long time, even if there are deck perforations, it might not matter as the core will be dry anyway, it has been under cover so long. Unless the teak decking is otherwise really good, I'd suggest having it all stripped off, then a new layer of marine ply laid down, and then non-skid fibreglass decks laid over that. Professionally done preferably. Yes, it'd cost a bit, but it would be a really good thing to do, as there would be no future water intrusion through the deck, so add to the resale appeal immensely. This is how the new models like that are usually done now anyway. My boat had that done about 18 years ago, and its fine, with no interior leaks, and it is 41 yrs old.

Then, if the tanks are ok, because they have not had decks leaking down onto them, (quite possible, if covered so long), they may be fine with a clean-out. Same with the engine. New hoses, full jacket flush, new filters...probably batteries, etc, and Bob's yeruncle...boat good to go...
Been there, done that, also...
Old 06-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #19

Pictures

Everyone is so helpful I very much appreciate it. If you're ever in Lake of the Ozarks Missouri I will take you out boating. I'm in love with this vessel but I don't need Tough Love! ;>)

***Peter B or anyone- I have detailed pictures if anyone wants to help further I can email you pictures of the deck interior or anything else…
Grateful Dreamer Scotty
Old 06-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Roughly 20k for tank replacement.

Take a hose down to the boat and let it run on the the decks, house sides, window frames and roof. There will most likely be some leakage.

I would recommend a haul out to get a close look at the hull especially around the exhaust outlets.

Take a close look at the wiring under the upper and lower helm stations.

Check every hose in the boat including the head and fresh water plumbing.

Pull up the floor plates in the v-berth and get a look at the bilge and shower sump, do the same aft.

Get an engine survey before the oil is changed.

Have fun and enjoy!

Bob
Thx Bob. By the amount of parts and wire connectors and tools aboard I can expect some electrical issues… Fortunately my background is an electronic engineer. Just don't want to be surprise with big money issues… I will inspect the tanks have a diesel mechanic come out to the oil testing before I even think about doing an inspection and purchasing it… Love is blind and I need counseling LOL

Tags
1983, 3208, for sale, grand banks 42, purchase