Jewel Or Fool; GB42 1983 purchase/value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scotty, if the pics are on the computer, then just post them on here, so we can all give our cent's worth of advice. Just go advanced, down to manage attachments, and basically follow the prompts re choosing the pics you want - (Choose takes you to your browser), then select, you can do several at a time, but make sure you go down to the bottom of the window where the file names of the pics are listed to select upload or whatever it says, and be patient and wait for the whole pic upload to complete (on Mac I watch the blue line going across at top of window - in Windows it might be the hourglass or spinning circle), before you close the pic select window, and select the submit reply button.
Discouraged; kids that inherited are asking 100k. I figure it's worth 20 to 40. They've been paying doc fees since 09. I offered 30 will see if any offers come in for him

We found our 42' GB in 2010. It was an estate sale and had been sitting for at least two years in Kemah Texas. They were asking 149k. We made an offer of 78k in Feb. no response so we continued to make same offer every week in writing. Finally we got a response that there was a mortgage of 120k. We went back at our 78k and suggested a short sale solution. Attorneys for trust talked to bank and in April, 2010 we bought our boat for 78k. That gave us plenty of room to hit the needed upgrades. By the way ours is hull #731. We have a lot of upgrades over these past six years including rebuilding the 453 Detroit diesels. Teak deck is coming off this Fall and alwgrip going down. We have taken her from Kemah to Key West and back to our home port on dauphin island , al. They do have good bones and can darn well be worth saving. A love of labor, yes, but could well be worth it in the end. Hope you can keep at them and win the battle at a good price for you.

Sounds familiar to me. The CHB I got this early spring had been sitting around not being used much for the same reason, owner passed and the kids got it and didn't really care about it but had an inflated idea of its value based largely on memory as kids when the old man kept it up. Lots less money than you are talking about but even that I made an offer, they said no, I upped it 5K and got the boat. Should have gotten it for less than my first offer in reality!! Ah boats!

All GB teak decks use millions of screws to fasten the teak overlay onto the fiberglass deck. Loss of bungs in the deck almost always means that water has gotten into the fiberglass deck and most likely caused delamination of the deck. Repairing this is a BIG job. Pay the money for a good survey. If you decide not to buy the boat the survey will be the best money you ever spent on a boat.
Good Luck!
Oldersalt

Go for it!

I've always regretted the things I didn't do much more than than the schemes I jumped into and then had to paddle like hell to keep my nose above water.

Craig,

Never heard of a DD in a GB.

...Lehman, Deere, Cat, Cummins

Have owned GBs for 20 years. Never heard of one with DDs. Had one with a British Leyland. A great engine BTW.

I have! (heard about DD´s in a GB) and a long time ago I almost bought an American 46 Cl with a single Volvo TAMD 102 w. a Hundested prop - major cool spec to me!

Jonas.

Detroit Diesels in 1981 GB

I honestly don't know how common it is/was to have Detroit Diesels (453s) and just assumed it was one of their standards during that time (1981.1982). Other than the rebuild (spun the main bearing in the starboard engine), They have been good basic work horses. I went ahead and rebuilt the port engine at the same time and both had around 3600 hours on them. I get about 3.5 gph with Generator on alot of the time. Cruises at 8 mph at around 1550 to 1650 RPMs.

When an individual commissioned a GB build, he could call for any engine manufacture desired. I guess there are some who ordered their GB with Detroit Diesels. I can't imagine having a couple under my sole...loud enough with Cats!

Back
Top Bottom