Old 06-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #41

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Had a similar thing a few weeks ago, on a relatively new installation (6 months old). Screen would show info but unit would not work and then the screen shows no info etc. Checked all my battery terminals etc, a real head scratcher, Magnum inverter. Pressing the reboot button would not solve or work . Disconnected Neg terminal on battery bank. still no success checked voltage through system all showed good. Then by chance when checking the voltage behind the battery switch, we found intermittent voltage on the outlet side of the battery switch. Removed switch and found loose nut/cable, tightened the nut and now everything works fine. The whole problem revolved on not torqueing the battery switch terminal properly during the install. After previously connecting the battery switch during the install, the electrician then screwed it to the bulkhead twisting it slightly causing the nut cable to unscrew slightly. Worked for 6 months and then one supposes a slight corrosion on the loose terminals and that was that.

Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #42
JP2
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor, WA
FWIW; The bypass switch on my Magma is normally OFF. When in use, it isolates the inverter and permits the dedicated house batteries to connect with 2 8D start batteries for assist, if necessary. Never had a need to test it.

I think the minimal setting on the same model Xantrex on previous boat was set at 11.5 DCV, but memory has notable deficiencies these days.

JP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #43

City: Miami
Kernr, so, how did this episode of "Days of our lives" end??????????
Hankster08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #44

City: Saunderstown
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Europa
The ongoing Saga

It has been a while but here is an update and the sage continues. The inverter finally did what I would call a hard failure - no matter what i did and no matter how high the battery voltage was no display - nothing at all. So I called Xantrex and tried all of there tricks to get this inverter to boot up. We were not successful and she stayed dormant. They recommended I talk to the distributor in NJ and potentially get some repair help - if parts were available. So I did and called the distributor. he clearly stated that he could repair it but to be real careful if you ship it - they tend to be dropped and then all bets are off on repair due to shock of drop.

So myself and another very strong person carefully got the six screws our of the 90 pound inverter hanging on the aft ER bulkhead and muscled it off the boat and into my car. I then took a day and drove to NJ (4 Hours thru NYC) - delightful drive - not!! The distributor was very knowledgeable and quickly diagnosed the problem to a board and we looked over the entire inverter and decided the root cause is too much corrosion in the box. He stated that he could replace the board and clean all the corrosion ff then conformal coat the boards = the AC terminal block was badly rusted. The cost was going to be North of $1,100. and he clearly stated he would not warranty the box. so we decided to replace the old Xantrex with a Victron Multi Plus. Very similar to the Xantrx but 1/2 the weight mostly due to 14 years of technology.

Upon trying to install the new inverter charger I discovered that the Bypass switch is not wired up iaw the schematic provided with the boat. That is where I came to all stop this week. I don't mind replacing things when they are pretty much plug compatible but when I have a new inverter going in and the schematic is not the same as the wiring. When I brought AC via SP onto boat and measured the wires for AC Line IN and AC Neutral IN I got not voltage. Yes Bypass Switch was in Inverter position, the inverter breaker was on, and there was 120 VAC at the AC Panel. So all stop and I called the Marine Electrician that was recommended to me - he will take a look at the beginning of next week.

Meanwhile I have received 3 new 8D House battery bank batteries at 162 pounds apiece - two are stacked in ER on top of each other and I have no idea how we are going to get the 8D to the upper spot - the other two we can get into position, Need a sky hook and a chain fall rig to pull this off.

i will keep all posted. It was definitely not the batteries but the root cause was badly corroded inverter components in a 14 year old inverter. The mystery box below the inverter was exactly what twisted tree said it was - "The mystery device behind the cover appears to be a neutral bonding relay. It bonds neutral and ground when on inverter, and disconnects when shore or gen is active." The distributor stated that this is a Contactor and no longer needed with the new inverter.

More to come
Bob
kernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #45

City: Miami
kernr,
Thanks for the update; I love hearing about what I know nothing about - LOL. My wife an I are just now looking into joining the fray of cruising and of course buying our first boat. This kind of thing gives me pause, since there is no way anyone could know about this until it malfunctions. You are dealing with this at the dock, not mid trip.
My followup is that the under lying cause was the corrosion - so this occurs naturally due to mere exposure to the salt air? If so, what about all the other equipment?
Hankster08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #46

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
I’ve had a Victron Multi-plus for many years. I have only good things to say about it! You might want to check out an accessory called Victron Global Remote. I added this and it gives me great peace-of-mind being able to monitor batteries, power consumption, charging status, inverting status, etc. remotely via a smartphone app. Requires a cellular sim, but a low-value cash card will last for ages, as it sends microdata. I can’t recommend this accessory highly enough. ( and no, I don’t work for victron).
2010 Greenline 33' Hull #54
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #47

City: Saunderstown
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Europa
The ongoing Saga

Hankster08 - this particular boat has been down South for most of its life and unfortunately the humidity down there is pretty bad. This combined with the inverter being in the engine room vs the AC spaces is the reason for the corrosion - not to mention the salt water in the air which just acts like a catalyst to speed things up. Boats in the NE where she is now don't have that much humidity but we have to deal with freezing temperatures which is entirely different matter. Most of the electronics is not in engine room. Proceed with your boat buying plans. It is great fun!!

Bob

kernr is offline   Reply With Quote