Info for a newcomer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andreagb

Hello. I hope this is the right place to post. It happens that I am helping a relative of mine who has bought a fantastic Grand Banks 48 year 1974 (wood).
This cousin of mine has asked me to help since he maintains I am better than him in English (!!!), so I am approaching this forum in order to find info and suggestions I will eagerly handle to my cousin. I am also personally involved in this operation as I like the boat very much!
The boat has been bought in France and just moved to Italy (La Spezia), obviously it will need a complete/partial refitting and the guy is already in touch with people that will perform the actual restore.
I have a very first question now, other will follow and I will take advantage of the courtesy and patience of members of the forum.
The question is: where can I find (and hopefully download) the drawings of the boat since a lot of parts should be restored and/or replaced?
Thank you so much for your attention.

Attachments

• Flic Flac.JPG
    Flic Flac.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi. Welcome to trawler forum.
That is a nice looking boat.
If drawings are available someone here will know how to get them.
But drawings should not affect whether you can rebuild a boat or not.
I doubt many 50 year old wooden boats are the same shape that they were when the were new.
Rebuilding a boat like that is likely not an easy job for a person without years of carpentry and boatwright skills.
Good luck !

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I believe that there is a GB Owners Group. I don’t know the website but Google will probably find it. Good luck.

Thank you. Yes, the refitting will be professionally carried out by skilled people, but the first question they asked are the drawings; otherwise the have to quote every detail before replacing. Regards,

Well a guess would be to check with the owners group but have you tried GB company? They may be able to help.

Hello. I hope this is the right place to post. It happens that I am helping a relative of mine who has bought a fantastic Grand Banks 48 year 1974 (wood).
This cousin of mine has asked me to help since he maintains I am better than him in English (!!!), so I am approaching this forum in order to find info and suggestions I will eagerly handle to my cousin. I am also personally involved in this operation as I like the boat very much!
The boat has been bought in France and just moved to Italy (La Spezia), obviously it will need a complete/partial refitting and the guy is already in touch with people that will perform the actual restore.
I have a very first question now, other will follow and I will take advantage of the courtesy and patience of members of the forum.
The question is: where can I find (and hopefully download) the drawings of the boat since a lot of parts should be restored and/or replaced?
Thank you so much for your attention.

Grand Banks makes an effort to support the owners of their product, you can contact them directly:
https://grandbanks.com/ownership-experience/

Here is contact for Europe Corporate office
EUROPE
Tel: +44 (0) 2380 458990
Fax: +44 (0) 1932 262586
Shepperton Marina, Felix Lane
Shepperton, Middlesex TW17 8NS
There is also a form to contact by email on the main website in english.
Go to drop down menu "About Us" and choose "Contact Us" there is a link to a form to fill in.

I didn’t know that but then again I don’t own a GB. I would have thought that it would be a thriving site.

I didn’t know that but then again I don’t own a GB. I would have thought that it would be a thriving site.

Sadly, no. There is a long history to the site which others can speak to much better than I. Started by someone, taken over by another who didn't have much time, or money, to keep it going. We taking weeks to simply get approve to join the site. It's been slowing down for quite a while and now all we get is Domain Name For Sale signs.

I believe, don't quote me, someone is trying to get in touch with Bob...forget his last name...he was a GB guru (he was involved in the restoration of many woodies, knew them as well as the newer ones backwards and forwards) to see if they can mine the wealth of info stored in the forums and document section. Have no idea where they are in that process. there were some geographical sub sites/forums as well. Not sure where they went or if they exist. I assume since the site died they did to. Maybe they set up something external?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom