Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
afc

City: Destin, fl.
49 GB vs 47 GB

Hi, I will just get to it here: I have been boating for 45 years in various sport fishing boats, but now at 66 my wife and I would like to make the journey about the trip itself and not so much the destination. With that said we are considering a 1985 49' GB," FIVE STAR" and a 2007 47' GB, "CHANGES". we live in Destin,Fl. so our trips will start with the first 250 NM with pretty much a beam sea. My wife has had lower abdominal surgery so the ride is important, although she is in good health now. I have no info on the ride of the 47 as I am aware it has a redesigned hull. so 17 knots cruise is available when needed whereas the 49 is 9 to 11 knots. I am hoping to get some good information from owners instead of brokers. I would greatly appreciate any advise and suggestions. Thanks
afc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Guru

Without stabilizers, a beam sea of any consequence (3-4'+) will be no fun. I had the (dis)pleasure of transporting a 49' Defever through about 24 hrs of this a couple of yrs ago. It had been a livaboard for 8 straight yrs and the owner hadn't really readied the salon for the trip! I caught 3 steep close 4'ers full on the beam when rounding a point, things got "rearranged" to say the least, and the ride in the pilothouse even made my wife's eyes get big. I wouldn't have wanted to be on the flybridge. This boat had no stabilizers of any sort though. I was really surprised at how violently it responded to such waves for such a heavy boat. However, the intracoastal is pretty nice up in your neck of the woods. The only really open water you'd have to take into acct is from Carrabelle to Clearwater.

If you can afford the fuel though the 47 at planing speed would certainly ride better as it would have more inertia with which to resist the waves' forces.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
afc

excellent point that I had not considered. Your one response has given me, in my opinion, the best most concise info that will play a major part in my choice. I have an extreme amount of knowledge flying 747-800 and go fast fishing vessels but nothing at all about trawlers. Again thank you for your help.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
747-800? I didn't know we made one of those. 747-8, yes, but there are only a handful of them in service so far. Do we have a secret factory building a secret plane somewhere that I don't know about?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Marin,
Go on Google and search 747-800 and plenty of images come up.
One with Lufthansa that I saw.
I just looked as i saw this plane mentioned in a mag just recently.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Marin,
Go on Google and search 747-800 and plenty of images come up.
One with Lufthansa that I saw.
I just looked as i saw this plane mentioned in a mag just recently.
There is no such thing as a 747-800. The actual name of the passenger version of the plane is the 747-8 Intercontinental. The freighter's name is simply 747-8F.

There have only been six versions of the 747-- 747-100, 747-200, 747SP, 747-300, 747-400, and the current model, 747-8. It's called the -8 because Asia is seen as a major market for the plane and the number 8 has very positive connotations in Asian cultures. Same reason our first 787 model is also a -8 .

Members of the public and even the more ignorant in the media are calling the 747-8 the "800" because they are used to Boeing planes having a "hundred" number to denote the variant. That's why you got all the Google hits. But they are wrong.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
afc

747 800

Merin google is not the bible. FYI I flew the 800 model as it was know in our test flight program. After I retired from the airline industry I joined the 800 program to accelerate their program as more high time pilots were needed to continue their testing program in order to start delivery's of same. 747-8I and 747-8F as you are aware are now flying the sky's. ALSO for your info I flew with the crew from Frankfurt to Washington on June 1st as a training pilot for the crew of the first passenger flight made. I did not know that at 67 years old and over 50 years of flying I would be taken to task this way by the smart tone used in your first response. I think I will stay within my peers of well trained and disciplined aviators. And they are known as 800's by all in the aviation community. I accept I am a newby in your world as you are in mine.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Guru

LOL. I go through some of the same stuff on some of the Cummins forums I am a member of. Common terms used by people who use and develop products are called "wrong" when that is what should be correct as its what the people who use and know it best call it!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc View Post
Merin google is not the bible. FYI I flew the 800 model as it was know in our test flight program.
I have worked for Boeing for over 30 years. I help market our planes to our customers as well as support all the company's operations. My organization has supported the 747-8 program since its inception, from design work through flight testing and delivery. We work with the pilots, including the first chief 747-8 pilot, Mark Feuerstein. I have never heard the 747-8 referred to as an "800" by anyone here at Boeing. Ever.

Lufthansa may call the plane the "800" but that's their own term, it's not what we call it. At Boeing, the plane is called the "Dash-8."

So when I saw your post I figured you mistyped and that what you really fly is a 737-800, which is an accurate name for one of our models.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #10

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
About 20 years ago I ran a Grand Banks 49 from Florida to Maine and back. No stabilzers, we just picked our times to be offshore. I have sold numerous 49s since then and a few had stabilzers, they make a gret difference in the comfort of the boat which is a hard chine design. The hard chine makes the roll fast and short as opposed to a soft chine which will normally be slower and longer. If you can find a 49 with stabilzers it will be more comfortable and worth the extra expense to care for.
The 47 was designed to be a faster boat and often the faster a boat is the less you need stabilizers.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
afc

I have not flown the 737-800 and I certainly appreciate your interest in my knowledge as you were or are their for such a period of time, however their were several of us that did refer to her as simply the 800 as I was only there to observe for an airline that hired me to do so, that being said I have over 23,000 hours flying Boeing's of which at least half of that was in 747's, started in the Douglas 8 super 60's a very noisy and smoking plane but handled very well, just had to watch the flare and not hit the tail. I and am not here to debate you but with all due respect my intent was merely to try cracking the ice as it were, it seems foolish to challenge such a minor point among two professionals, and with that I say a due. AS a side note and the reason I became involved on this site I would like to thank those points of info that all have given it has helped. If indeed we enjoy our 49' adventure I am positive we will look at the Fleming 55 as our choice IF we can slow to the speed of a trawler for which the 49'GB is a great place to start. thanks all.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Hope you'll reconsider, afc. I'm pretty new here myself, but this forum has a lot of great folks willing to share priceless information. Like any forum, some people feel compelled to lecture and pontificate, or they forget that the internet is the world's worst place for irony. (I'm guilty myself, sometimes.)

Stick around. I don't think you'll regret it.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
afc

Angus99 I appreciate your message and thank you for your remarks. I made myself a promise that I would not get involved with any negative issue's from now until my day comes to make that last sail to the sky. Had too much of that within the airline industry, ( I hope I said that right ) lol anyway I will stay. I have had several good tips from those that are truly here to share their knowledge and friendship and for that I am grateful.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

afc--- The reason I was interested in your use of the term "800" to describe the 747-8 is that your post aroused my curiosity so I called the BCA marketing brand manager for the 747-8 and asked him if he'd ever heard of the plane being called this. He answered that not only had he never heard this term used for the plane but that he was extremely pissed off that someone was doing so on a public forum and wanted to know who, what airline, etc. because that is not a designation of the plane the company wants used. By anyone, apparently, even the airlines who have purchased the plane.

Hence my interest in your use of the term.

The Fleming 55 is our favorite boat, too, and may be in our not-too-distant future. Good luck with your decision and search.

Cheers,
Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
afc

Marin I did not at any time work for Boeing nor honestly do I care if they do or do not care about what anyone calls their airplane's ( how arrogant ) this is America. By the way where would they be if pilots did not fly the planes.... That being said, and I am sure you have heard this among pilots before...."if it ain't Boeing I ain't going" a phrase that has come out to respond to the degeneration of the pilots command of the airplane as in Air France flight 447.All that being said I understand your defense of the company that you spent so much of your life at, ir=f I were you I would have felt somewhat the way you did. So let's put this in the deep 6 and move beyond it. I have had a great conversation with Jon Bullock at Burr Yacht Sales in Maryland and I would highly recommend him as a starting point. although I see you are on the west coast. We are trying to decide on GB49' "FIVE STAR" to try out slow cruising or to go straight to the 55' Fleming. May the winds aloft always be on your tail and on your nose when low....have a good week Marin
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Guru

AFC one other "suggestion". If you are considering just owning the 49 for a short time as a learner, you may want to look into doing some charters a couple of weeks long each. yes they are a little expensive but you won't be stuck with a boat you no longer want and you won't have to worry about what the "market" is doing affecting your resale. Plus you can try out different boats and really narrow down what you and the missus both like and dislike.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
afc

Great idea Twisted. I am planning to donate it too a church youth group to get them into what cruising is all about not to mention life lessons an responsibility. That way I will really confuse the big guy in the sky lol
Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Guru

I can pretty much assure you that if you donate a boat of that size to any charity they are going to sell it not use it. Too much liability and responsibility. They'd be better off getting a handful of Lasers or Hobies. Your sentiment is in the right place but......
There is however, a BoyScout camp in the Lower Keys that does what you have in mind but with smaller boats, something for you to look into if you are feeling altruistic, and want to spread your passion for boating.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
afc

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71
I can pretty much assure you that if you donate a boat of that size to any charity they are going to sell it not use it. Too much liability and responsibility. They'd be better off getting a handful of Lasers or Hobies. Your sentiment is in the right place but......
There is however, a BoyScout camp in the Lower Keys that does what you have in mind but with smaller boats, something for you to look into if you are feeling altruistic, and want to spread your passion for boating.
The group I have in mind is headed up by a seasoned captain that is in need of a more reliable boat. He would keep it as would the church but tks for the heads up and I will ck now to get reassured that all u brought up would be handled. I am not going to let insurance companies and attorneys stop me from trying. I will let u know what I find out. Tks again for the heads up
Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
There is no need to debate your professional abilities on this forum and I am disappointed to see it going on- totally unnecessary and 100% off topic.

AFC, welcome to the forums and you are looking at 2 very nice boats. I agree stabilized would be best but with the increased speed of the 47 that need goes away. It boils down to how you want to cruise.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote