Holding Tank Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oil Gypsy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic #248
As part of a mini refit I want to upgrade the holding tank. The existing tank leaks at the fittings and the installation not very well done, the tank is only held in place by the hoses.

I am thinking of installing a new tank in the aft Lazarette on the port side, access to this area is restricted by a vertical support post which is permanently installed, I am going to have to remove / cut the post and then reinstall additional braces in case I need to access the tank.

Before reinventing the wheel I was wondering if any other GB owners come up with a better solution or location for the holding tank.

Thanks

Bill

I’ve never been in the engine room of a GB36. Therefore, I don’t know how much room you have. My GB42’s holding tank is under the generator between the fuel tanks. Access to the plumbing of the tank is in the space behind the generator and in front of the bulkhead between the engine room and aft stateroom. Tight, but works!

Last edited:
For the new tank, I would look at Ronko. They make a very good quality tank and will put the fittings in where you specify. They have hundreds of stock tanks so you can probably find one that will meet your needs.

Depending on your situation, you may want to consider having a custom-shaped plastic tank built. I had one made in the UK to fit in a very ”challenging” space. Not cheap, but not unthinkably expensive, when considering the issues it resolved. I’m sure there are companies in the US that do this. You only need to make a cardboard template and send it to them.

Is your GB a single or twin engine? Where is the current tank located?

Your water tanks back there. like mine and then a shelf on top of the rudder post(s).
I could not see that as a good location, in mine at least.

There are several things to consider in selecting a location for the tank...starting with distance from the toilet, which can vary depending on the type/make/model/age of the toilet (how far it's capable of moving bowl contents in a single flush) and routing of the plumbing. Then there's matter of size appropriate for your use of the boat.

I'll be glad to help you sort all that out if you'd like to send me a PM.

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom