Help with purchasing older Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nomadwilly wrote:

Grand Yachts has a 74 36' GB w twin screw repower John Deeres

http://www.grandyachts.com

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 10:02:09 AM
The one for $139k? I don't think I'd spend that on a boat until I retire in twenty years or so, if then. I think that's way too much for that old of a boat, too. I'd want something a bit newer for that amount of cabbage.

I'm actually not really seeing anything of interest right now, and I'm going to look into other brands. I just don't see the value in a lot of these prices. Foreclosures continue to escalate in the area, and I think that next year will bring better deals on boats, especially since I have ZERO faith in this economy and consider a double dip recession almost a foregone conclusion.

"and I think that next year will bring better deals on boats, especially since I have ZERO faith in this economy " and consider a double dip recession almost a foregone conclusion.

This is DEFLATION , what has hammered the Japan market for almost 20 years.

They have almost paved Japan over with "publik works" , yet the consumers continue to resist creating debt.

QE in this country (AKA Printing Money) does not work ,

but its all these uneducated ivory tower folks have , "Borrow& Spend ourselves Rich!"

Failure Assured.

Thank you for the replies, and sorry for the limited amount of information. I am in the Puget Sound region, so iced up harbors aren't a problem, though heat will be needed. The marina has a sewage pump, as well as other amenities.

Why Grand Banks, and why a trawler? It's what I've always wanted. I'm sure arguments can be made for other style boats, but it's a matter of personal preference. Yes, my budget is somewhat limited (I'd like to stay around $40k as I'm paying cash and am not interested in financing a boat), but I'm hopeful I can find something older in very serviceable condition for this amount. I have been looking at CHB's and Marine Trader's as well. I would certainly consider one of them, but I do like the Grand Banks better. It's kind of like the question "why did I buy an older Dodge Cummins?" It's what I wanted, and suited my tastes.

I prefer something with an aft cabin. I like the Grand Banks 36', but prefer a single engine for economical operation. I have seen some singles, but most are twins. The Marine Trader double cabins are nice, and so are the CHB's. I do wonder how well insulated any of these boats will be during the winter (windows, etc.). I am actually quite at home in cold weather, so it does not need to be 70 degrees inside for me to be comfortable. 40's would be a little chilly, though.

While I don't want to get into extensive rot repair, I am certainly not opposed to refinishing wood, upholstery, etc. I'd rather stay away from an engine rebuild right now. I'd really like to find something which is completely original (no bad remodels like a few I have seen). Prices seem to be high where I am at, and less expensive in CA. I have thought about buying out of state, and shipping the boat. The economic pain insofar as real estate is concerned is really starting to ramp up in WA, so that might work into my favor as I am seeing a lot of price reduced listings, though they still are not priced as many out of state boats. It's hard, too, to get an idea of the true condition just by looking at pictures of listings. I am still in research mode which is why I am here.

Edit: Keep in mind I am a 41 year old single guy with a dog who is used to a minimalist lifestyle. I don't need much more than a place to lay my head to be content. The marina has showers and laundry facilities, and the boats I have seen have more than enough in the way of creature comforts. I will not be overwhelming the boat with junk. It will be me, a computer and some other electronics, clothing, my dog, and a lot of happiness.

-- Edited by BoatDog on Wednesday 13th of October 2010 09:25:00 AM
I often wonder WHY people question someones choice,or rejection, of this thing...or that thing.
I'm a little late to the dance (quite late),but I couldn't help but comment.
I'm a musician. Actually a bass player. Thru the years,I've picked every make of bass made. But,my "preference "is a Hofner (Beatle)bass. Love the tone,the neck,and,at 68 yrs old,the 5lbs across my shoulder. But so many people have questioned my choice. It's my money,my happiness, and above all, my business.
I'm sure that,
A. You know your budget
B. You know your abilities
C. You know what you like
In my many years of boat ownership, I've owned everything. From Chris Crafts,to Owens,to Matthews,and everything in between. But,I've ALWAYS wanted a Grand Banks.
So,I hope you find(or have found)the boat that YOU are looking for.

I have a GB that was well maintained. It is a newer fiberglass 36.

As you mentioned, once I decided on a trawler, we looked for about eight years till we found ours. A combination of condition and features. I spent less than thirty minutes after stepping aboard before I made an offer.

No matter what we looked at, we could not shake the GB bang for the buck and quality.

I have been on many 32and 36s that were wood. Some good, some not good. For a single minamalist a 32 will work.

As many have mentioned GB windows usually need attention. It takes crazy man hours to do it right, but few dollars. A task a dyi guy could knock out.

The GB Forum seems to have been lost. It was a wealth of information for us. I read the entire website three times. This forum is the next best thing and has some knowledgeable contributors.

Most of what you will deal with you can see at my blog, grandbankschoices.

Your other mentioned manufacturers can be rough boats due to their cheaper entry prices and build quality. GB hired furniture builders for their work, and it shows.

I recommend walking the docks and looking for these older boats. Many will sit and be neglected while the owner would love an offer. Look in the back of boat yards.

Yacht Trader will give you ideas on layouts and packaging.

Don't look much at the big marinas, search out the smaller places and remote docks. Get in the local GB loop. Get on boats, ask to see people's boats.

GB guys tend to talk among themselves for advice. Search them out.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom