Help: Late 70's GB42CL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eli. Is this GB 42 over in Chesapeake VA? Dark blue hull?

Eli. Is this GB 42 over in Chesapeake VA? Dark blue hull?

Negative. This one is in henderson New York. I'm pretty sure they are not going to take my offer. They feel like they can get more.

It's been owned by the marina and only used as a day boat. It was put of the water for 7 yrs.

I kinda pursued it because they said the teak decks and tanks have been done but when I got aboard and was able to walk the decks they were soft. The entire aft deck is soft and it's soft along the port side.

The tanks,,,, the fuel tanks are 1 piece per side and do not go too high to the salon floor (low volume)

The water tanks,, they literally sit in the bilge between the fuel tanks?!?!

I knew going into the boat that will have to be dealt with. That's another 5-10k to deal with that.

I figured this,,, 20k for the deck, 10k decent electronics, 5k for swim platform (weak), 5k windows replacement, 15k on water system, its shot, the sub floor in salon by starboard door is soft which caused the alot of the parqey floor to come off. Same in the aft flooring. Rear hatch assembly missing. Nav lights were taken down and only found the red. Some panels missing for storage compartments.

As far as engine goes,, it did run and I was suppose to go for a sea trial but after I figured I was gonna spend 60-100k to fix the boat right,,,, what's and extra 20 for another layman at that point.

I had a dream of bringing her back but losing 30-50k out of my pocket was not worth it.

If someone has the time, money, and love for a GB to keep her alive this would be the one. Her bones are good for sure but you basically gonna replace,,,,,,, EVERYTHING.

I was willing but there is a point where you have to let her go and hope she doesn't die.

VA yacht brokers had a 42 with a single listed. I looked a 36 last summer but it failed survey. Eventually found a 36 in Marathon that had decks redone and fuel tanks replaced, albeit half the tankage. At this stage of my life, I don't need too many projects. Just maintainence.

Truely worth ZERO If you like to actually boat. If you like to WORK on boats and need a hobby PRICELESS. I would hesitate to give a thousand dollars for it. You will come out upside down. JMHO. best of luck.

You might want to check out this blog:
They bought a similar boat, a 1978 DeFever 43 in similar condition for $100.00, then spent around $65k over a period of about 10 months, working basically 7 days a week to bring her back. Cruised her up from SoCal to PNW, and into Canada for a while, then sold her for in the neighborhood of $70k to $80k.

Oh, and there were TWO of them, and much younger than you or I am as well!

Granted that a Grand Banks has better name appeal than a DeFever, but to answer your original question, for me, IF the drive train were demonstrated to be in serviceable condition, I'd pay $0 to MAYBE $10k at the very outside. But that's just me.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.:dance:

Last edited:
They bought a similar boat, a 1978 DeFever 43 in similar condition for $100.00, then spent around $65k over a period of about 10 months, working basically 7 days a week to bring her back. Cruised her up from SoCal to PNW, and into Canada for a while, then sold her for in the neighborhood of $70k to $80k.

Granted that a Grand Banks has better name appeal than a DeFever, but to answer your original question, for me, IF the drive train were demonstrated to be in serviceable condition, I'd pay $0 to MAYBE $10k at the very outside. But that's just me.

Billy and sierra are great. I met them once in Miami and once in Annapolis. Their vlog is worth watching. They are actually here in Miami now taking delivery of their brand new Cat!

Truely worth ZERO If you like to actually boat. If you like to WORK on boats and need a hobby PRICELESS. I would hesitate to give a thousand dollars for it. You will come out upside down. JMHO. best of luck.

It's on marketplace for 45k. The engine is running,,,, I see a cloud of smoke around it.

I offered more. It's on FBMP. 45k and shes yours

I need help in boat value.

Its a single engine with bow thruster(lets just say they work ok)

still has teak decks, the whole rear deck is soft.

electronics from early 80's

Fuel tanks have been replaced

rear windows leaking

pretty much water system is shot. Tanks might be ok (replaced)

Heads are inoperable. Manuals

Aft hatch assembly gone!! dont ask

Salon floor-30% of parqay is missing and some of sub floor a bit soft

Salon dash formica all coming up

Electrical seems all original

THE PROS

The hull exterior is MINT from the gunwals down to keel

The generator is new (7yrs ago-boat was on the hard for that time)

Shaft bushings and rudder bushings tight

By the way, not that it matters, there are 0 extras of anything and will probably need most cushions replaced

So my question is, What would be a reasonable offer? Im seeing these go for 76k to 140k and in good condition. This one needs "some" help.

Thanks

Eli
I bought a 1973 GB36 in 2020 which sounds in better condition than this. I am doing the work myself, it is 1) an extraordinary amount of time and labor (I am about 2 years behind my original schedule for refit), and 2) is probably worse than what you are seeing (part of the reason I am behind). I paid in the mid 30's with the same expectation you have that it would be worth $75K to $130K. I won't loose money (discounting my labor) but profit can't be a motivation. Unless you have the ability to do the work yourself I would avoid it. If you can afford to pay to have the work done, just save yourself a bunch of aggravation and spend more on a boat in better condition.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom