Grand Banks Window Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiker519

Vessel Name
Signal V
Vessel Make
1981 Grand Banks 36' Classic Trawler
1981 GB 36' Classic Trawler.
The sliding windows are leaking, the channels in which the glass slides are completely deteriorated, and the wood framing is rotting...and some panes are cracked.
Does anyone know of a source for pre-made replacement windows for a GB?
Thank you. Jay

Try Wynne Industries Inc. 256-383-5040.
I had them build the center tilt out windshield window on our Manatee. We are very pleased with the quality of construction.

Search for the recent thread "replacing teak decks" where there are photos and the supplier's name for replacement windows on a MT 44 in Seattle. The supplier is in Port Coquitlam BC. The window system is similar to yours.

regarding window replacement. I did is on my GB36 483 from 1976. I ordered alu frames with double glass. I removed also the back entrance master bedroom and also installed a alu door en sliding panel. I live in Belgium and we travel a lot in Holland. We have a lot of rain and now the window leaking stopped. Still you need a very solid alu window because when the boat is moved out of the water the hull allways moves a bit and that can cause leakage from window.
We have a inner and outher frame that comes together with screws. Maybe 500 pieces for all the windows. I can send pictures if you like.

Sam

aluminum window replacements

regarding window replacement. I did is on my GB36 483 from 1976. I ordered alu frames with double glass. I removed also the back entrance master bedroom and also installed a alu door en sliding panel. I live in Belgium and we travel a lot in Holland. We have a lot of rain and now the window leaking stopped. Still you need a very solid alu window because when the boat is moved out of the water the hull allways moves a bit and that can cause leakage from window.
We have a inner and outher frame that comes together with screws. Maybe 500 pieces for all the windows. I can send pictures if you like.

Sam

I would like to see the photos. We have a GB36 1973 - one of the last woodies. Michael

I just rebedded and rebuilt mine. Not a lot to it. These could easily be made out of extruded fiberglass and would last forever.

I was going to do that but teak lasts almost forever so I rebuilt them.

Aluminum will corrode, which breaks the seal, then they leak. Check the Selene and Nordhavn threads.

The other option is to just glue them in. Considered that also. All new boats are going this way.

I just did mine, new frames, track and glass. Installed and first rain the tracks have filled right up and overflowed into the cabin. I had drilled the drain hole but still need to install the tube. any suggestions? That's a lot of work to have widows leaking worse than before!

I just did mine, new frames, track and glass. Installed and first rain the tracks have filled right up and overflowed into the cabin. I had drilled the drain hole but still need to install the tube. any suggestions? That's a lot of work to have widows leaking worse than before!

welcome to the forum.
Now tell me why you have not installed a tube. The track sits on the wall I guess best way to describe that sheet of plywood. Without an egress to exterior it will find its way into the cabin.
Then again until you show a picture, not sure where you drilled a hole that is meant to drain away water.

Back
Top Bottom