Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member
 
Kurplunk's Avatar
 
City: Henderson Harbor
Vessel Name: NorthStar
Vessel Model: ic #502, JD Ammarine 404
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
When I see something on the net that's good enough I simply copy it and place in applicable folder.
I too, have gleaned Good-to-Know articles, photos, and part numbers and categorized them in folders on my computer. Only problem with that though, is there are good many times that the article or other bit which I am looking at today doesn't falls into the Good-to-Know realm untill tomorrow!
Kurplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #42
Veteran Member
 
Kurplunk's Avatar
 
City: Henderson Harbor
Vessel Name: NorthStar
Vessel Model: ic #502, JD Ammarine 404
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 50
This is what I have for presentation to the table.
First and foremost, the intent of this endeavor is NOT to replace Trawler Forum or to create another Messaging Board, Forum, Chat Group, ect, but to create a common information storage location with exponential longevity, working in conjunction with TF.
Platform:
• A Google Docs account with associated email address.
• Three Administrators for oversight and quality control
o Passed on with a simple password handover.
• Grand Banks Community
Concept:
A thread is started in TF within the Grand Banks Forum posting the Email address and the link to the Google Doc account.
Anyone with the link will be able to access the Docs, but only the Administrators with a current password will be able to upload to folders (as oversight and QC). Individuals within the Grand Banks community submit items for public storage via email. Administrators review and place it in appropriate folder in Google Docs.

There has been a claim made stating that “Grand Banks vessels are a One Hundred Year Plus boat”. We need a resource library with the potential longevity to support our so loved fleet of Grand Banks of all vintages.
Kurplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #43
Veteran Member
 
Kurplunk's Avatar
 
City: Henderson Harbor
Vessel Name: NorthStar
Vessel Model: ic #502, JD Ammarine 404
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 50
Email Address: grandbankspreserve@gmail.com
Files Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._9?usp=sharing
Kurplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #44
Veteran Member
 
Kurplunk's Avatar
 
City: Henderson Harbor
Vessel Name: NorthStar
Vessel Model: ic #502, JD Ammarine 404
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 50
Correction in Terminology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurplunk View Post
• A Google Docs account with associated email address.
• Three Administrators for oversight and quality control
o Passed on with a simple password handover.
• Grand Banks Community
Concept:
A thread is started in TF within the Grand Banks Forum posting the Email address and the link to the Google Doc account.
Anyone with the link will be able to access the Docs, but only the Administrators with a current password will be able to upload to folders (as oversight and QC). Individuals within the Grand Banks community submit items for public storage via email. Administrators review and place it in appropriate folder in Google Docs.
I have confused Google Docs with Google Drive. Google Drive is correct. Sorry for the potential confusion.
Kurplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member
 
stiggy's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 91
Does someone still have access to the old site and is able to download all the information on there?
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #46
Guru
 
firstbase's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Does someone still have access to the old site and is able to download all the information on there?
I have never heard of anyone having access besides Bob. I have gone to the home page, the gbwoodies page, and it still comes up. However, all the links, with the exceptions of the two advertisers, show an error loading. I think the only hope of getting anything would be to somehow get in touch with Bob. Sorry to bring it up but I searched the obituaries in his area but didn't find one for him.
__________________
Hal
BLACK EYED SUSAN
Grand Banks 42 Classic
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #47
Guru
 
City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
I have never heard of anyone having access besides Bob. I have gone to the home page, the gbwoodies page, and it still comes up. However, all the links, with the exceptions of the two advertisers, show an error loading. I think the only hope of getting anything would be to somehow get in touch with Bob. Sorry to bring it up but I searched the obituaries in his area but didn't find one for him.
In his early 80's according to net and still in Oak Harbor area.. email might still be active. boblowe@whidbey.net

Maintaining a web site is not costly but is a time sink. Suspect Bob just lost interest. Once he let the domain expire, all the data hosted on that domain expired as well, unless he had his own server and was diligent about backups. I would guess that a site owner would have backed up his data store and a copy might still exist but I doubt the forum threads exist.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #48
Guru
 
SteveK's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,489
when I last conversed with Bob I got the impression he was living in Mexico full time, where I do not know.
My PM with him and the thread where we connected have been deleted. Folks here did not want us talking with Bob, so am surprised this thread has not disappeared.
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Sea Sanctuary-new to me 1992 Bayliner 4588
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #49
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,337
Once upon a time; i.e. it used to be: ��

I was under the impression that - "Once it's on the net... it's forever available somewhere on the net."

Maybe to super sleuths in govt and the like... but, I guess not to us general folks.

Swimming on the side, while watching you GB people go after the internals of the old GB forum, sure reminds me of a few years ago when we Tolly folks went after the suddenlydisappearedd Tollycraft Boating Club Forum's contents.

No luck in our raft of Tolly's. Wishing you all best luck!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #50
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,791
According to Frode, Bob wanted to turn the site into a profit centre and when a number of us balked he had a snit and abandoned it. I got banned because I disagreed with him over some pet thing he was in love with so that was it for me. Frode and I corresponded, trying to figure out how to keep the site alive but Bob blocked us at every turn.

Offer him a ton of money and you might get something.
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #51
Guru
 
firstbase's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
According to Frode, Bob wanted to turn the site into a profit centre and when a number of us balked he had a snit and abandoned it. I got banned because I disagreed with him over some pet thing he was in love with so that was it for me. Frode and I corresponded, trying to figure out how to keep the site alive but Bob blocked us at every turn.

Offer him a ton of money and you might get something.
LOL...a GB Forum Go Fund Me, with proceeds to Bob....

"Give to the GB Fund. Because a forum is a terrible thing to waste."
__________________
Hal
BLACK EYED SUSAN
Grand Banks 42 Classic
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:53 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Xlantic's Avatar
 
City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 430
Xsbank, do you know if Frode kept or has access to the forum archives when IAGBO was hived-off? I understand Frode provided the technical support to scrape the earlier Grand Banks Owners forum.

In their later years neither forum had a great deal of activity but for people like me with an older Grand Banks the archives would be of tremendous value as they were full of very detailed and specific technical advice.
__________________
Gilberto
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
City: East Islip
Vessel Name: Giddy II
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 123
I would actually contribute to that go fund me page.
I mean, think about it, I was a contributor to the website (in a small $ way). I would pay to have access to all of that information some where else. Again, in a small way.
Of course, it would seem like holding the website hostage.
Mike GB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #54
Guru
 
firstbase's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike GB32 View Post
I would actually contribute to that go fund me page.
I mean, think about it, I was a contributor to the website (in a small $ way). I would pay to have access to all of that information some where else. Again, in a small way.
Of course, it would seem like holding the website hostage.
So would I. However, we can't even find Bob much less get him to name a price. Wonder if he is reading this thread?

Hi Bob!
__________________
Hal
BLACK EYED SUSAN
Grand Banks 42 Classic
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #55
TF Site Team
 
Shrew's Avatar
 
City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Once he let the domain expire, all the data hosted on that domain expired as well
That's not really how it works. The domain name really only gives you control of the DNS records which point you to the server. Loosing the Domain only breaks DNS. The content is on disk somewhere. Now if the server is taken down and there is no backup of the data, then you have a problem.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #56
TF Site Team
 
Shrew's Avatar
 
City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,754
Why would you need to create a new forum, when TF already exists with a GB sub-forum?

You will need to do the following:

1) Purchase a domain.
2) Purchase a server and hosting space, or rent hosting space and pay for that space (Rackspace, GoDaddy, Comcast, etc all have such services)
3) Purchase forum software
4) Configure and Administer the forum software. This will require that you maintain a Site Admin. and Moderation team.

The other option is to migrate the group over to Trawler Forum, much like the Mainship Yahoo group and others have done in the past.

Either solution will not get you your content back. That is owned by the previous site owner.

TF would be happy to assist with migrating Grand Banks over to Trawler Forum.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #57
Guru
 
firstbase's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Why would you need to create a new forum, when TF already exists with a GB sub-forum?

You will need to do the following:

1) Purchase a domain.
2) Purchase a server and hosting space, or rent hosting space and pay for that space (Rackspace, GoDaddy, Comcast, etc all have such services)
3) Purchase forum software
4) Configure and Administer the forum software. This will require that you maintain a Site Admin. and Moderation team.

The other option is to migrate the group over to Trawler Forum, much like the Mainship Yahoo group and others have done in the past.

Either solution will not get you your content back. That is owned by the previous site owner.

TF would be happy to assist with migrating Grand Banks over to Trawler Forum.
I don't think that anyone is talking about a new forum. Just some way to save the good stuff in some form over here. I guess the challenge is that a lot of the good stuff is in posts. The docs would be easy if they could be located.

Must have been a pretty big war of some sort to cause a guy who was obviously dedicated to the brand and its owners to just give it all up and let it go down the drain. Significant turn in attitude.
__________________
Hal
BLACK EYED SUSAN
Grand Banks 42 Classic
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #58
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
I don't think that anyone is talking about a new forum. Just some way to save the good stuff in some form over here. I guess the challenge is that a lot of the good stuff is in posts. The docs would be easy if they could be located.

Must have been a pretty big war of some sort to cause a guy who was obviously dedicated to the brand and its owners to just give it all up and let it go down the drain. Significant turn in attitude.
Reading/listening to what you folks are saying re GB Forum disappearance:

Can't help but to wonder if a mistake was made by GB Forum's administrator; wherein the forum's contents were mistakenly deleted and became non retrievable. Thereafter... the administrator may have wanted to go incognito.

Evidently that is what occurred to the Tollycraft forum while rebooting it after a major site improvement. All posts were lost and could not be brought back. Tolly forum is No-More!

Severall of us tried for a while... to no avail.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #59
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,791
I think that a lot of GB stuff is generic, generally, if better in some build ways than other makes.

If you GB guys have questions, many of us on here were there too, so to speak, much of the info resides in memory and can, with patience, be resurrected. Most of the information is not esoteric nor secret, most of the synergy on the GB site was because of the members which, when Bob began his rampage, destroyed that synergy; that was the real reason it failed. Many of the guys are probably still here, overtly like me or hiding like Giggitoni 8^).
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #60
Guru
 
SteveK's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,489
What Xsbank said.
My GB is my first GB. Naturally I went online to find info about the boat and forums that shared that interest. As a non member of the GB owners forum you could not see pictures of the discussion taking place. It took effort to become a member. I assisted Roddy becoming a member when I was still able to connect with Bob.
I was not aware of the politics of the GB forum, just the great shared information available there from old timers about the older GB boats.
That said, it did not take very long to go through the archived threads and get the info needed. Several were then bookmarked for quick reference. That is lost.
In hindsight, while it is/was a good reference for old thread discussion, there was no new discussions. Yes, several new posts were made, but forget about a discussion as they could not see you have replied and you could not get a notice someone replied to a subscribed thread. Interest in posting ended for me and I suppose others. Soon there were no new posts for months and then the forum ended.
Bob would not/could not answer PM or email. That forum is dead and lost.
Make new memories here. Find the blogs like a member here has going 'Choices' https://grandbankschoices.wordpress....g/grand-banks/
Also there are many GB owners groups, locally it is https://www.psgbowners.org/

All is not lost, just misplaced.
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Sea Sanctuary-new to me 1992 Bayliner 4588
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012