Grand Banks 42 vertical clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
I’m sure hoping for an easy explanation on this but I just looked up on a couple of ads for GB 42’s for sale and they say overhead height of 22’ 6”. We have one under contract. Ours doesn’t specify but I suspect it’s safe to assume they are all the same, at least when year models are close. We want to the Loop in another year or so and I just read a bridge clearance need of 19’6”. I should have looked into this more thoroughly however multiple 42’s listed say “Great Loop veteran”. Are they maybe route restricted? Is it (and I pray it is) that 22’6” means with the Bimini up? I’d be surprised by that if so since I doubt any of them came with a Bimini originally.
Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share on this.

My 1987 manual shows 22'6" to the top of the mast. Our mast was shortened to 18' by the PO before doing the loop. The height to the top of the windshield is 13' 1". To the top of the flybridge w/o windshield is 12' 2 1/2". We have a bimini but not sure where that tops out and would of course vary by bimini design. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
My 1987 manual shows 22'6" to the top of the mast. Our mast was shortened to 18' by the PO before doing the loop. The height to the top of the windshield is 13' 1". To the top of the flybridge w/o windshield is 12' 2 1/2". We have a bimini but not sure where that tops out and would of course vary by bimini design. Hope that helps.

22.6 to the top of the mast sounds right. That is what our 36 is.

19.6 should give you clearance without pulling down the Bimini top. My 36 was right next to a 42 and the heights appeared to be the same. I have the original owners manual at home and will be there next weekend to double check my numbers. Top of the wind screen is just around 12 or 13 feet from memory. If I forget and you don’t hear from me pm me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom