Grand Banks 42 Sport Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leeman

I've been observing this site for years now, and have enjoyed the commentary and the pictures of the beautiful boats you all own. Thanks. Newly retired, the possibility of cruising the PNW becomes more real for us. No experience, no boat, just ideas, dreams.
I've studied magazines, websites and of course all your pictures and until yesterday had not seen one that really struck me. The link below is to a 42' Grand Banks Sport Cruiser for sale on Yacht World. I don't think I can post their picture here.
First one I've seen a picture of - it's a real gem. Can someone please fill me in on this somewhat rare GB? Web search doesn't really help. Years of production? Engine options? Any owners on here that could give their two cents?
All opinions appreciated.

leeman

1981 Grand Banks 42 Sport Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Leeman, Can't help you with technicalities of the GB. But that is a lovable boat. Very sharp. Wish it were mine.
Dave

This is the first 42 I have seen with this design. Lots of 32s were built this way.

It is basically a Europa 42 without the aft extension on the boat deck and without the wider fly bridge of the Europa. Inside it should be the same.

The only benefit over a Europa is the ability to fish from the cockpit.

David

Looks like FlyWright's dream. Can picture him catching an ancient fish from the generous cockpit.

A friend of mine used to own one and I ran it from time to time.

What would you like to know about them?

I believe there were only 13 built.

Jeez that's a handsome boat, first of its kind I've ever seen. "Sport Cruiser" may be a bit of an oxymoron when usd in conjunction with "Grand Banks". ;-)

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. The only comment I would care to make is there's no side door on the port side.

So it's not just me then…
Thirteen built explains a lot. I'm not going to see many for sale. Just my luck. And this one is actually in Canada.
There must have been a short production run? Maybe just 1981? I was hoping they had a longer run - more/newer selection
My understanding is they have the same issues as the classic or europa styles. Option of single or twin. Cat(s) or?
Is there a good general reference source for all things GB? Thanks.
Love the cockpit.

leeman

Whoops..forgot…thanks for the welcome. This site is great.
Good one on the side door.

leeman

"Is there a good general reference source for all things GB? Thanks."...If you haven't done so already I suggest you register over at IAGBO.

So it's not just me then…
Thirteen built explains a lot. I'm not going to see many for sale. Just my luck. And this one is actually in Canada.
There must have been a short production run? Maybe just 1981? I was hoping they had a longer run - more/newer selection
My understanding is they have the same issues as the classic or europa styles. Option of single or twin. Cat(s) or?
Is there a good general reference source for all things GB? Thanks.
Love the cockpit.

leeman

Join Grand Banks Owner's Resources. But come back here for everything else!

There is a GB 42, and a GB 36, for sale here in similar configuration. The 36 has been on the market a long while, and said to have come from Singapore on its own bottom.

I had a quick look at the GB owners site; it looks good thanks, I'll spend some time over there.
Any links to the one for sale in Australia, or pictures for that matter?
Do you have any old specs or pictures also Capt. Bill?

The one in Sydney is 35 years old now- how is this in boat years? Seems to me I could be biting off a lot.

Thanks
leeman

Last edited:
Thanks Capt.. Thats three of the twelve made. '81, '85 and ?. Florida, Sydney and Sydney. Talk about dispersed. These must have been bought by fishermen.
Classic, gorgeous and rare. What could possibly be wrong with that? :)

leeman

I'd buy it and remove the flybridge, a big version of Ebbtide! Just kidding. That's a great looking boat.

Last edited:
I do appreciate that Grand Banks seems to include a proper Bar on most of their boats.

leeman, I had difficulty copying a link. Go to www.boatpoint.com.au and search under "Makes" for Grand Banks. It is called "an extended cockpit" looks to have been given a Europa like cockpit cover makeover, and priced at $119KAUD. You`ll also find the 36, advertised at $99KAUD.

leeman, I had difficulty copying a link. Go to www.boatpoint.com.au and search under "Makes" for Grand Banks. It is called "an extended cockpit" looks to have been given a Europa like cockpit cover makeover, and priced at $119KAUD. You`ll also find the 36, advertised at $99KAUD.

If you are talking about the boat pictured below, iI don't believe it's the same as the ones under discussion. The ones under discussion don't seem to have as big a cockpit.

I've never seen a GB with that big a cockpit and with a hard top over it. Pretty cool.

I wonder if it came from the factory like that or if it is an after market extension.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 249
Thanks Capt.Bill11 for your IT skills. I`d say the Europa like extension is after market, but it sure follows the original design.
Mentally(barring healhustler helping) deleting the cover gets close to the "Sports" design.
A previous broker for the 36 advertised it as a commercial or trade version.

Thanks for the legwork Capt.Bill. It looks to my eyes the same design, albeit with the cover over the cockpit. Model year 1977- so 12 or so made over eight years so far. This one with twin Lehmans. I think between the three there might be some window differences, thats all I can see.
Grand Banks must have made hundreds of boats a year in the 70's and 80's. It's a real treat to see such a limited production model. One has to wonder just what both GB and their customers were thinking during this time. Did you have to know someone to get this rare version? I'm thinking of the American auto industry of the sixties, or even then European auto industry before that.

leeman

leeman,I know the design appeals to you, but if GB only made 12 they may not have been universally popular. I`m thinking anyone buying one would have a specific purpose in mind. The 42 looks good, but the 36 for sale here reminds me of a pick-up truck and hasn`t found a buyer in 2 years.

Gb 42

If it was on the east coast, I would be having it surveyed rite now !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom