Grand Banks 42 Classic Curtain Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to all the replies. Steve your attachment will not open :(. That's what I am looking for a picture of how they are attached. I did look on Sailrite and their eye with hook is not for a pleat as far as I can tell. We had mini blinds on our last boat and I was not a fan, besides I want the "Grand Banks look". The sketch Ray sent was VERY helpful but I have never seen that kind of "mushroom" attachment for curtains. I am wondering if I could just stitch the eyes that are made to slide in the track to the curtain pleat.
Another question is are your curtains made of a lightweight material and lined ?
Thanks so much for all the input it is much appreciated.
Jann

Ray's sketch is very accurate. I will try to get you a picture so you can see them. What is really nice about these pleated curtains is that they seem to be pleated linen, with all the "dubs" and inconsistencies that give them texture in interest. I started to have all mine dry-cleaned, and had a couple of them done, in spite of worried disclaimers from the cleaners that they might disintegrate. They're a little yellowed, and the first two I sent in had blackened due to what I think was maybe some hair grease where the former owner may have put their head back and stained them. Nonetheless, they came out just fine, intact and pretty. That means about 12 more trips to the cleaners if I take them in pairs, which seems to me like the best approach because I don't know if each are a little different shaped, or are standard shapes. I totally agree, those pleated linen curtains are a classic look that I'd hate to lose.

I guess the u-shaped aluminum track extrusions and plastic buttons are proprietary, but I don't know where they're from because I haven't looked for them or needed to replace them. The curtains hung from the buttons are a bit fussy to get out of the tracks behind the valences, but I did do it with the one pair I started with.

It'll take me a day or two to send you a picture, but it will help me finish with the project of cleaning them all. Please remind me if I haven't got back to you. Best

Oh, also mine are not lined, just hemmed as appropriate.

Thanks for the pic of the lab scale instrument. You worked for Sartorius ? Great! Sartorius (indeed now "Sartorius Stedim Biotech") is now a key partner company in the global biopharmaceutical industry, biotech industry, and the research sector, especially in bioprocess development and instrument services among many others applications and services. Sartorius is so-called "the Rolls-Royce of health".

Yes, I was involved with the Stedim purchase and spent a bunch of time in Marseille France as the Stedim HQ is in the town of Aubagne next door. Without Sartorius, we most likely would not have the c19 vaccine right now. It’s there bio-reactors, equipment and filters that are making it possible. But I know nothing about all that, I ran the IT dept here in NA.

FYI, I was just joking with the Android reference. ;)

Yes, I was involved with the Stedim purchase and spent a bunch of time in Marseille France as the Stedim HQ is in the town of Aubagne next door. Without Sartorius, we most likely would not have the c19 vaccine right now. It’s there bio-reactors, equipment and filters that are making it possible. But I know nothing about all that, I ran the IT dept here in NA.

FYI, I was just joking with the Android reference. ;)

I work in Marseille, I know where is the Sartorius Stedim Biotech plant in Aubagne managed by Olivier Guitard where they work on different systems around a bioreactor process to mix different components and raw vaccines.
Also Sartorius has a partnership with Minebea Intec, Hamburg, Germany on bioreactor process.

I agree with you, no Covid-19 vaccines in 2021 without Sartorius, I told you that at my work we call it the Rolls Royce of Health.

Thanks for very interesting chat, my apologies to the OP !

Last edited:
Check out R.I.F in La Ciotat, love that restaurant. ;)

I have a 2000 GB 42C. She has pleated curtains. There's a pretty good group on Facebook called Grand Banks Owners. Look it up (you may have to join the group, but it's worth it). One owner recently redid their pleated curtains and uploaded a file on exactly how they did it. It will be a big help for you. Lots more GB info on there as well. Another good place to ask GB specific questions.

Thanks for the Facebook information. I guess I’ll have to join now! I have been making trial curtains out of old sheets and may have finally made an inroad. I really appreciate all the advice. As always the forum is a treasure trove of shared information!
Jann

Hello there! Just a quick question to the OP... I just bought a 49 Classic and I am looking to redo the Headliner. You mentioned that you are too in that process, Have you source the fabric for it? Do you know where to get or are you going with the Slat look?
Thank you Sir!

Hi, we did a ship lap headliner. Pre primed white pine boards that we primed again with oil base marine primer then finished with semigloss marine interior paint. We have teak battens to finish it but haven’t gotten to those yet. It was a lot of work but isn’t that the definition of boat? We are happy with the way it’s turning out.
Jann

Attachments

• C5E03493-06A9-4E85-A2DC-2387BCDD26B1.jpeg
    C5E03493-06A9-4E85-A2DC-2387BCDD26B1.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 17
  • BC26403A-8447-4BFE-8BAF-599D3B046247.jpeg
    BC26403A-8447-4BFE-8BAF-599D3B046247.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 13
FANTASTIC!! Great work there.. Looks like the boards are jointed like tongue and groove?
Looking forward to see the finish work.. I want to do the same work on mine!!
Are you around Ft Myers/Punta Gorda area?
Also would you mind if I message you with a couple of questions?
Thank you!!

Messaging fine.yes we are in a boat yard in Placida.

Thank You very much.. I messaged you a bit ago... Thank you!

My GB 42 is a Motor Yacht but same curtains as on 42 Classic & Europa.
Indeed they are pleated and hung on hooks on a low profile aluminum track.

Mine are as pictured above, but are attached to the slides by sewn on button-like plastic sliders that slide into the aluminum tracks.

You are right to want to replace them. They are beautiful pleated linen curtains that do much to enhance the warmth of the GB Classic trawlers. To replace them with blinds is a sacrilege. I have taken some of them to a good laundry cleaners to freshen them up and restore the pleats. YMMV, but mine held up well to the cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom