Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Grand Banks 32 Sedan

As soon as I sell my 1981 49' Banks, I would like to find a 32' Banks. My worry is at 6'3" and 240 pounds, can I get into and out of engine space and will the V berth give me enough room to sleep? I have not been inside of a 32' to find out. Please give me your view. Or do I need a 36'? Thanks mates.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Ron,

Yes to both.

V berth length along the sides is the same as a king size bed.

The entire galley floor removes for ER access.

Why are you selling the 49?

Bob
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

I am afraid my body is not made as well as the Grand Banks. I need new knees and at 74, the 49' is just too much to properly maintain. The 32' GB would be great for my wife and I to putz around the coastal waters of Florida. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Guru

Too bad we are on opposite coasts!

The 32 is a great boat, we live ours. There is a fella in Maine with a no flybridge 32 similar to Ebbtide. No idea if she's for sale though.

Bob
Old 08-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #5
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
I've been considering a Grand Banks too, and the 36 seems to be a better hull and can run for shelter at 12kts with twin 135 lehman or 16kts with the turbo 210hp Cummins or Ford's . it weighs 12tons versus 9.5 for the 32'.

Is the 32' a semi-d displacement hull like the 36, and what speed can it Max out at?
Old 08-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
I am afraid my body is not made as well as the Grand Banks. I need new knees and at 74, the 49' is just too much to properly maintain. The 32' GB would be great for my wife and I to putz around the coastal waters of Florida. Thanks for the info.
My physical profile is about the same as yours except a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier. And I just had a total knee replacement and still in recovery. The engine room issues and degradation of the knee are main reasons we sold our Taiwanese Tub after a short ownership. We have kind of been straddling the fence post about getting another big boat but if we do so, it will probably be a Great Harbour TT35 which is an outboard powered trawler with great fuel economy and no engine room. There will be some climbing into the lazarette to change Racors and storage items but we think it will be manageable. Getting on and off the boat might be a little more challenging. You might want to consider it as we think it will be a great coastal and river boat.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #7

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Raycation
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
We own a 32 GB and its located in Jacksonville Beach, if you are around the area stop by and take a look. I'm 6'3" 275 I sleep in the V-berth but I don't move much so we rarely put the center piece in place. Now the getting around the engine room for basic needs no problem.

Great Boat we love it, we have spent some money getting it up to speed but truly feel that its worth it.

I will be in Jax during the holiday season so PM me if you want to meet up. We would love to show you around.
Time pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Redwood City, CA
Vessel Name: Woodhouse
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
I don't have a problem with the V-berth, though I may be an inch or two shorter than you. Getting into the engine space is difficult. I can just squeeze behind the engine to get down into the space between the fuel tanks and above the stuffing box to check the transmission oil level or adjust the drip on the stuffing box. To check the engine oil, I plant my feet in the forward berth deck, or on the first step, and lay on my stomach to reach the dipstick. I've noticed that some versions of the GB32 have other hatch arrangements, but mine only has the two main engine hatches.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
I've been considering a Grand Banks too, and the 36 seems to be a better hull and can run for shelter at 12kts with twin 135 lehman or 16kts with the turbo 210hp Cummins or Ford's . it weighs 12tons versus 9.5 for the 32'.

Is the 32' a semi-d displacement hull like the 36, and what speed can it Max out at?
The old GB hulls are all SD capable of speeds well over hull speed but are heavy boats and require much fuel burning to get near 12 knots. But given the power they should deliver.
The 32 was nearly always a single FL and I belive their top end is about 10. Bob will be back w the real deal shortly I’ll bet.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
There were a few twins made with 2 - 4 cylinder engines but they are thankfully rare. There are some challenges to the engine room but if laid out properly, all areas are accessible. Great boats, remember you are just a caretaker for the next owner, they go on forever. A bit too much teak for my liking (it cured me of wood on boats forever) but very pretty boats if you are prepared to maintain them. No issues with the v-berth, I slept very well in there. A bit noisy from the anchor rode in a blow, though...
Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Guru

Rusty,

Flat calm, slack tide, no wind, clean bottom, 4 blade prop, 2400 RPM, I can get 9.7 knots.
Normal cruise is 1650 RPM @ 7.8 knots. That extra 750 RPM burns a lot of fuel and makes a lot of noise for very little gain.

Bob
Old 11-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #12

Thank you all for your replies. I have settled on a 32 Banks. Thinking about moving battery boxes to lazzeret area. Time will tell. Thanks again. Ron T
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #13
Guru

Great choice Ron! Several folks have relocated the batteries, not sure if it is a benefit since that is about the only real storage on a 32.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Rusty,

Flat calm, slack tide, no wind, clean bottom, 4 blade prop, 2400 RPM, I can get 9.7 knots.
Normal cruise is 1650 RPM @ 7.8 knots. That extra 750 RPM burns a lot of fuel and makes a lot of noise for very little gain.

Bob
Bob Cofer, may i ask size/pitch of your 4 blade prop?
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #15
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2609.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	74449

Michigan 24 x 16
Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #16
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Geez Bob, that wheel is pretty pink...I hope that's just the photo???
Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
Guru

Just the photo.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Did she come w a three or four blade Bob?
From GB.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #19
Guru

Originally with a 3 blade, one of the PO's changed to a very slightly over-propped 4 blade.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #20

Q on 3-blade vs. 4-blade props

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Originally with a 3 blade, one of the PO's changed to a very slightly over-propped 4 blade.
Bob, thanks for info, I've asked you same question on GB facebook & here. Your comment is exactly info I am looking for. What engine have you? I have Lehman 120 with 3-blade prop, 23"x16 pitch which performs well but I feel has excessive vibration. Some say going to 4-blade reduces vibration. Others say 4 blade increases drag, thus reducing speed. Grand Banks themselves, in their American Marine News newsletters in the early years, twice included a prop chart. For the Lehman 120 they say 4 blade prop, 24x14. However, in other discussion over the years, they say that is over-propped! I have no spare and need one for cruising so considering moving to a 4-blade. Appreciate any advice!
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote