Old 03-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
The number of blades has no bearing on whether or not the engine is "over-propped." Pitch and diameter only have that effect. The more blades, the smoother but the less efficient, unless you have one of those scimitar bladed wheels like they used to put on nuclear submarines, not too likely. I had a four-bladed wheel on my '32 (595) and she was underpropped when I got her, Osborne Propeller changed the pitch and stopped some "singing" that I had. Three or 4 blades is fine, just get it balanced and trued and consult others for the WOT RPM you need, I've forgotten.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
A 24x15 would be just about right for Ebbtide. We can reach 2500 rpm at WOT. 2800 rpm is spec according to the late Mr. Smith.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Schmidty,
Three blades are better unless you have so much power that a three blade becomes overloaded from insufficent blade area. Not likely w a 120 FL. Maybe though if you had a 3-1 gear.

The four blade prop in this situation will have too much blade area and require a very low pitch. The low pitch dosn't move much water but provides a high surface area that adds too much drag.

A smaller dia 4 blade could be smoother giving greater prop clearance and reducing the hydraulic pounding on the bottom of the boat. Otherwise a four blade has no decernable amount of reduced vibration. The smaller dia. 4 blade will be less efficient.

Bob I thought 2500 was WOT (properly loaded) in gear.
2800 would likely be out of gear w no load.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Xsbank,
The load on a prop is dependent on pitch X dia but blade area has a large effect also. So the basic variables are pitch, dia and blade area. With the same blades a 4 blade has much greater area than a 3 blade.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #25

City: SWFL
Vessel Name: Great Commission
Vessel Model: 1988 Grand Banks 32 #793
I was in a 32 GB on Ft Myers Beach a few weeks ago. Very nice boat. It's listed for sale on Yachtworld art $99K. Im 6'2" and I had no problem in the salon and cabin. Easy to get in and out of the berth also with teak grab bars above the berth.
Reel Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
I think part of the issue of getting around the Grand Banks 32 'engine room' is where all the peripherals (battery boxes, water heater etc) are located. If these things are not in the way or if they can be moved such that they are not in the way I think you'll find you have fairly good access to the engine. I keep a couple of rubber pads on hand to make it a bit more comfortable and also you can add a movable step right over the transmission area to help get in and out of the engine.
mplangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #27

City: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Grace View Post
I was in a 32 GB on Ft Myers Beach a few weeks ago. Very nice boat. It's listed for sale on Yachtworld art $99K. Im 6'2" and I had no problem in the salon and cabin. Easy to get in and out of the berth also with teak grab bars above the berth.
I find the GB 32 to be one of the sharpest of the GB fleet but without an exit next to the helm it makes it kind of out of the question.
Port Tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #28
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Tack View Post
I find the GB 32 to be one of the sharpest of the GB fleet but without an exit next to the helm it makes it kind of out of the question.
simple to ad a steering station on back deck. Way handier than trying to exit side door and moor
Old 08-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #29
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
simple to ad a steering station on back deck. Way handier than trying to exit side door and moor
You have caught my interest with that. The GB 32 was always one of my favorite boats but I, too, took it off the list (I think) due to no helm door and often being single-handed. (Why couldn't they just have put a skinny/short door!).

But I didn't know you could easily add another helm with the "chain" (or whatever you officially call that) steering (chains run around the side and then go up to helms). I know you can't speak to specific details necessarily, but is it in general easily doable with that type of system?

That would be very interesting.

Or, now that I think about it, are you envisioning a jog lever on an autopilot for steering? I had thought of that, and liked the idea, but then saw a number of people saying it wasn't quick/good enough for docking (I don't have any more detail than that). I'd be happy to find out differently (I seem to always like various sedan cruisers with no helm door )
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My 5'7" height frequently hits my head on a 42-foot GB's deck doors. Blessed are my port and starboard deck-level pilothouse Dutch doors.
Attached Thumbnails
coot with sails.JPG  
Old 08-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #31
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
You have caught my interest with that. The GB 32 was always one of my favorite boats but I, too, took it off the list (I think) due to no helm door and often being single-handed. (Why couldn't they just have put a skinny/short door!).

But I didn't know you could easily add another helm with the "chain" (or whatever you officially call that) steering (chains run around the side and then go up to helms). I know you can't speak to specific details necessarily, but is it in general easily doable with that type of system?

That would be very interesting.

Or, now that I think about it, are you envisioning a jog lever on an autopilot for steering? I had thought of that, and liked the idea, but then saw a number of people saying it wasn't quick/good enough for docking (I don't have any more detail than that). I'd be happy to find out differently (I seem to always like various sedan cruisers with no helm door )
easier to add another station if hydraulic steerin but not much harder with chain/sprocket setup. Throttle and gear shift are simple. If you have a bow thruster, easy to add another toggle on "outside station" Whether elec or hydraulic. GB 32 is a nice size boat and worthy of exploring this option
Old 08-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #32
Guru

City: US PNW
Thanks for the extra info

I do like the 32 a lot.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: TBIDO
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
easier to add another station if hydraulic steerin but not much harder with chain/sprocket setup. Throttle and gear shift are simple. If you have a bow thruster, easy to add another toggle on "outside station" Whether elec or hydraulic. GB 32 is a nice size boat and worthy of exploring this option
You have caught my interest too. I am a single handed sailor, and have written off a lot of boats I otherwise like because of the lack of deck access for docking from the helm station. By the time you have added that third helm station doesn't friction start to become an issue? When you want to change throttle setting or shift gears you are now pushing on three sets of cables and two other shift mechanisms. I would love to hear from someone who has done this about how happy they are with the result.

If it is easily doable it would put some boats like the Prairie 300 and Mainship 34 back on my shopping list.
TBIDO
R. Bush is offline   Reply With Quote