GB36 Flybridge Enclosure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

renny

Vessel Name
The Riddler
Vessel Make
1980 Grand Banks 36
We have a bimini currently but we are considering adding a full eisenglass enclosure on the flybridge of our 1980 GB36 classic. Are there standard frames and canvas that we can buy to do that, or do we have to have a custom job done? Any suggestions for what works best?

I would get a custom fitted one. I don’t know if there is an off the shelf one for that boat. But get a good canvas shop and you will be happier. They can make it the way you want it. We are having a full enclosure made for our new boat and have made lots of custom things done for it.

Thank you. Our boat's current marina is in a small town, so it has been hard to find a local marine upholstery company in the area, so I was hoping we could order it online. I'm presuming they have to come out physically to your boat for measurements in order to have one made.

We also live in a small town. There is a canvas shop here but their quality is suspect. We used to do all of our canvas work but arthritis has taken its toll on my fingers so we are paying to have the work done on our new boat. The shop we are using is an hour away, or more. They have 4 trips planned in the fabrication of the canvas. They are also reupholstering all the seating in the cockpit and there is a bunch of it. But their work is first rate and the price is fair but not cheap.

We enclosed our 36. Our Bimini covers the whole flybridge however we only enclosed the forward and sides about 1/2 way back. (7 panels with 5 smiles) Sides end at the rear facing settee. Really adds to the “living” area on the boat. In New England you need the enclosure more than not. It does add a lot of windage when trying to maneuver. Cost was about 5 grand working with the existing bimini top.

We also live in a small town. There is a canvas shop here but their quality is suspect. We used to do all of our canvas work but arthritis has taken its toll on my fingers so we are paying to have the work done on our new boat. The shop we are using is an hour away, or more. They have 4 trips planned in the fabrication of the canvas. They are also reupholstering all the seating in the cockpit and there is a bunch of it. But their work is first rate and the price is fair but not cheap.

I totally understand the arthritis issue! I sew too, but for the flybridge I would prefer to pay someone for quality work. That's great that they are willing to travel an hour to you. I am going to check around now in some of our larger towns near by and see if I can find someone that would do the same in our area.

We enclosed our 36. Our Bimini covers the whole flybridge however we only enclosed the forward and sides about 1/2 way back. (7 panels with 5 smiles) Sides end at the rear facing settee. Really adds to the “living” area on the boat. In New England you need the enclosure more than not. It does add a lot of windage when trying to maneuver. Cost was about 5 grand working with the existing bimini top.

That's what I was hoping for, is more living area on ours too. We are in the SouthEast so mosquitos like to take over the flybridge as their permanent residence! LOL Our 36GB is a single engine with no bow thruster, so the windage is definitely a big consideration for us as well when it comes to maneuvering. I considered just adding screen to an enclosure instead of full enclosure to let the wind flow.

We have a bimini currently but we are considering adding a full eisenglass enclosure on the flybridge of our 1980 GB36 classic. Are there standard frames and canvas that we can buy to do that, or do we have to have a custom job done? Any suggestions for what works best?

One of our recent boat projects was to re-canvas our own Bimini, Tonneau, side cloths, hatch covers, dinghy cover with new, so I paid close attention to others whenever I got the chance.
Here in SW BC, there are many GB36 and 42s. Many have an enclosure, almost all at least a Bimini. Some are on Aluminum frames, some on Stainless. Of those on SS, some are on 7/8", some on 1", some on 1.25".
Without exception, the ones that are on stronger frames are better.
Some have the frames to enclose a minimal portion of the upper deck, some the entire upper deck, most cover all of the seating area, some with a rear door across the boat behind the rear-facing seat, others with a sloping rear panel at that location.
If your Bimini frames are SS, and your Bimini covers all of the area you would be happy to have enclosed, and if when folded down, it lands in a position that is not too awkward to manage, you should re-use those frames.
None that I have seen on any size GB would appear to be the same as any others on a GB, so clearly not a mass produced item. Any vendors of mass produced covers that I have seen on the internet are for smaller vessels than yours.
Be careful what you order from a custom shop, as unless you have seen their work on a boat that is as complicated as your own, you will be asking them to re-invent an enclosure for yours. You need to know that you have considered all of the possibilities before you restrict yourself to what the shop's interpretation of your order will produce.
If you are considering DIY, see sailrite.com, especially their videos.
Good Luck.

Yes, it is amazing how much stronger 1.25” S/S tubes are compared to 1”.

When you have an enclosure built, are you given max wind guidelines ? For example "We can use 1" aluminum that will be strong enough for 50 mph winds or we can use 1.25" stainless that will be good up 75 mph"?

What tends to fail first, the fabric or the frame ?

When you have an enclosure built, are you given max wind guidelines ? For example "We can use 1" aluminum that will be strong enough for 50 mph winds or we can use 1.25" stainless that will be good up 75 mph"?

I have no hurricane experience, so I won't consider that force.
I have seen few actual failures in our benign climate. What I have seen is failures of aluminum frames before the fabric fails and failures of fabric on robust Stainless frames.
Aluminum frames tend to attract plastic fittings. Those fittings fail. Some sooner, some later.
Stainless frames do not attract plastic fittings, so those fitting on Stainless frames hold up well.
Seams fail first. Some sewers have used thread that will degrade quickly with exposure to UV. Most now use thread that does not. One brand of UV stable thread is "Tanera".

My own is at least 35 yrs old. I replaced the Bimini for the first time, the Tonneau for the second time, both due to wear, hatch covers, side cloths, dinghy covers only to match, all done last winter. No attention was needed to any of the SS fittings or frame tubing.

Our enclosure took a crew of three a full week to build and they were moving. All custom built. Typically there is only one shop in an area that handles the big work.

While most of them if properly built are plenty strong, when it comes to hurricanes I have always removed all my canvas and lashed down my frames. It's not worth it. There's a chance they could survive, but most likely there will be damage and canvas work is expensive. At least in my opinion. :socool:

While most of them if properly built are plenty strong, when it comes to hurricanes I have always removed all my canvas and lashed down my frames. It's not worth it. There's a chance they could survive, but most likely there will be damage and canvas work is expensive. At least in my opinion. :socool:

Not to mention that the windage caused by canvas ads huge stress to the boat, dock lines, and the docks themselves. Depending on the direction and duration Forecasts of 40 plus and the canvas comes off.

I had a fill enclosure made and installed on my 36CL last year, best investment i made so far. Lots of screens, everything can be removed and/or lowered for reduced aircraft if needed. Sorry for the photo orientation, I couldn’t out how to rotate them, they were fine when I attached them

Attachments

• 5D6FBE6F-A3E6-4934-9384-922345D249B7.jpg
    5D6FBE6F-A3E6-4934-9384-922345D249B7.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 34
  • AA6778E3-4C0E-4FA0-B693-767E2BE1A4F4.jpg
    AA6778E3-4C0E-4FA0-B693-767E2BE1A4F4.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 26
  • 7F3D2E12-49C3-4EFE-A837-BB30D8012C2C.jpg
    7F3D2E12-49C3-4EFE-A837-BB30D8012C2C.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 26
  • B3597799-88FC-440C-83AC-D4D6A06C4C21.jpg
    B3597799-88FC-440C-83AC-D4D6A06C4C21.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I had a fill enclosure made and installed on my 36CL last year, best investment i made so far. Lots of screens, everything can be removed and/or lowered for reduced aircraft if needed. Sorry for the photo orientation, I couldn’t out how to rotate them, they were fine when I attached them

That's gorgeous! We have the same flybridge 36CL, I am a little envious right now of your enclosure LOL

hey Renny whats your hull number I am #634, I agree hoppys enclosure is sweet, $10,000??

Screen enclosure

We did this project last summer. Additional new Stainless bows to cover the entire fly bridge with new Sunbrella Bimini. However, we are planning on only mild weather cruising and like the fresh air. We therefore did roll up screen enclosure with a roll up screen door.

Attachments

• IMG_1081.jpeg
    IMG_1081.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 71
  • Sunset.jpeg
    Sunset.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 69
CanvasWorks down in Fairhope, AL made enclosures for our flybridge and sundeck - ask for David - he did a beautiful job. $9,400 for both in 2018- used heavy Strataglass. Check with them - they may travel. And pay the few extra dollars for lifetime thread and zippers - well worth it.

edit - the photo on the left was before the new enclosures

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom