GB32 Woodie Under Contract: Lots of Questions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
American Marine made only 350 hulls of the GB32 in wood. I take it it was built in Hong Kong at the old bottling factory. A wooddie needs to be taken out of the water every year for below the sea line inspection, stripping, filling and antifouling. It is quite time consuming and expensive, besides it needs to be prepped by marine woodworkers and plank cracks filled with cotton and then corcked the proper way. Once the hull is done and since the engine is reconditioned, the rest of the work topside should be pleasant for you to do it and learn as you go. However, the sliding windows are very tricky and if not done properly can create awful leaks. The original deck is 10mm Burma teak which is the best in the world, and I take it it's about 8mm after all this time, fix it but do not replace it, for teak replacement will run you around $25K for this boat. The teak surface on that specific boat is around 20m2 (200sq.ft). Remove all the old black joints corking and apply new 3M Marine Sika under the loose planks and in between, let dry and sand it 180 grid and finish with 320grid. Do not perform any inside work before finishing the flybridge deck and the walk around decks. Once the outside work dries off, hose it down at medium pressure to check for leaks. The bilge being dry is a very good sign, get yourself a marine mechanic to check all systems, fix leaks at the transmission level and teach you basic and routine maintenance for your engine. From the pics you posted you look young and full of life, so one advice for you, get the damn thing and enjoy the living hell out of it for the wooddie GB32 is a hell of a boat and a classic. FYI I saw one similar 1973 I believe for sale in Long Beach CA, in immaculate shape in and out for around $35K, so your purchase price of $12K is right, for you will dump around $20K to bring it up to your expectations but this will take you about 2 years, so you have time to save some money on that end. BTW I own a GB32 1978 and that's my last boat, I love it. Good luck.

Lordy Lordy. You have more money than you've got sense. Lol
There is absolutely no reason to go that far.
Evidently, I'm in a club with a bunch of Thurston Howe The Thirds,and I'm a Gilligan.
The way y'all talk about spending money,is like y'all own a bank.(some probably do).
Happiness is not spending a small fortune on a boat. Happiness is getting you a nice boat,that suits YOUR needs,not the millionaires clubs.
We do not ever own these old grand wooden ladis. We simply possess them for a time, and pass them on to the next person.
Y'all slack off of this guy.
Hmmmm,come to think of it,I'll bet ya that there are a few boat brokers on here,trying to sell him a boat.
And,as a final thought, i am going to look into the idea of having a WOODEN GRAND BANKS forum,to give people that truly love and want a woodie. Maybe that way they can get some constructive feedback

You know I owned that GB42-125 you have for many years. I was the 5th or 6th owner and now you are the 8th or 9th owner.
You may also know I bought her for $40k and spent $150k of my money, and some $60k of Boat US insurance money and $20k of potential buyer´s money all in making her ready to use and eventually giving her away at $22k. That buyer got $49k on insurance after that tornado you spoke of. It also proved how tough a boat she is.

You bought a boat that had already had a quart million spent on her for mere peanuts and you are in one of the last TRULY free areas to enjoy a boat like that, so by all means do enjoy it. But please recognize it is extremely expensive to restore and maintain ANY large boat. Woodies just require a bit more and a bit more frequently than steel, aluminum, fiberglass or ferrocement. But they will outlast them all if enough money is spent.

Your perspective will be dramatically different in Alabama on the Tennessee River than in San Francisco Bay or PNW areas, Outer Banks or The Keys. By all means continue to enhance and enjoy her, you know she means a lot to me. Having totally rewired her and replaced and enhanced so many systems and eliminated many of the details that cause issues with GB Woodies and other woodies, she should be easier to keep usable. But not everyone wins a Boat Lottery and gets a special boat that has had hundreds of thousands and literally tens of thousands of man hours spent on her for < a single 1% of all that.

So Be Happy and realize that most folks here and in other forums have had to invest on a whole new level, ten or a hundred times higher, thus they cannot relate any better than Thurston could relate to Gilligan. May you find your Mary Ann or Ginger and enjoy thousands of miles under our old gal´s keel. Remind folks that it is the Great Whittler´s Dream they are seeing when you get to the Bahamas and Exumas and if you ever return Northward to the Outer Banks.

Flat seas, and warm breezes to all of you.

Gb32

We surveyed and sea-trialed two GB32’s in 2013 after we sold our Corbin 39 cutter. Known areas of concern (as if you don’t already have enough to make you run for cover): rainwater ingress along side walls, osmotic blistering below the waterline (one GB32 looked like a plowed field!), leaking transmission—some models are no longer repairable and if yours is one of them the later models of transmissions will not fit without raising the engine which you would never want to do. Need I go on? Start looking for another boat now. After seven years of cooling down after those disasters we finally worked up enough enthusiasm to purchase a Nordic Tugs 32 and could not be happier. Good luck.

GB 32 Woodie

We all log in here on TF for peoples stories, opinions and advice. After that we hopefully have a lot of information to consider.

If you don't want peoples opinions then you should not ask for them. This fellow did and got some really good advice from the TF Group.

No need to go after us for letting him know what our thoughts are.

Your comment to this individual was concise and quite polite. Mine would have taken a different turn.

GB 32 Woodie

Well hello! We recently put a 1972 GB32 under contract and have tons of questions. The boat was used as a SUP charter boat and McCovey Cove party barge for Giants games here in SF. Its called the Barbary Ghost and its...infamous.

Sadly the owner's charter business has been shut down during COVID and he is unloading the boat. We've offer $12k conditional on survey and he accepted. I'm hopeful thats a reasonable price for the work we need to do. We plan on learning and doing as much of the work we can, but have started to identify people we can hire out specific jobs for reasonable rates.

Cosmetically its rough but it had a rebuild Ford Lehman 120 and the bottom inspected and repaired 5 years ago. It had another bottom job and inspection 2 years ago. So im hopeful there are no structural issues but the survey will tell next week.

I could use some help to get me oriented and up to speed on the project. I was looking for the GB Woody and GB forum but both look like they no longer work? Thats such a shame. From the comments they seem like they were amazing resources. Is this forum the next best resource today?

Ok so here are the questions I would love some feedback on. If you think we're being naive, by all means, share your opinion. I like to go into these projects knowing all my blind spots.

What I know:

• The deckhouse, flybridge and all the brightwork needs to be stripped, sanded, repainted and revarnished. We have a team of 3 guys who will help us bang this heavy lifting over 1-2 weeks so we are back to a clean slate. That will make the project far less daunting.
  • I heard the flybridges are prone to rot. Luckily this one seems solid. Im wondering if it was already replaced at some point.
  • The interior needs to be completely stripped, repainted and revarnished. It looks like a fraternity house right now. We will do that ourselves.
  • The decks are so-so. They need to be bleached and the proud caulking trimmed. And then likely be recaulked as a longer term project.
  • The topsides aren't terrible. So that might be a job for next year. But all the bronze rub-rails need to to have pealing paint stripped off them.
  • All the stainless rails where painted black. I dont know why. They need to be stripped.
  • The port fuel tank is shot. We will need to cut it out and likely replaced with plastic tanks? But thats not an urgent job.
  • The bilge is dry
  • I dont see any visible rot. I can see an area near the starboard transom that had been refilled and an area on near the base of the starboard windshield. The place is to fair those properly.

What I dont know:

• The transmission has a leak. I "think" that can just be uncoupled and the seal replaced.
  • The transmission has a lot of surface rust. I believe its a Borg Warner velvet drive. Im hopeful we can just wire it clean and repaint. Any tips appreciated.
  • I can see some crappy caulk jobs in the foredeck and can feel some moisture in the roof of the v-birth. That concerns me. Any tips appreciated.
  • The starboard v-birth port light also looks like it had rot around the trim at been filled.
  • How do I clean and rebuild the sliding windows? They have a lot of crud in the track and I couldnt move them.
  • Any tips on how you clean and rebel the 3 forward facing windows. Those look ok, no rot, but have years of gunk around the edges.
  • I know the transom is prone to issues. Anything to look for there?

Appreciate any tips to get us going in the right direction. If the survey checks out, I will put together some write-ups on the refit progress.

I'll make one more comment. I have a GB 36 Classic. 1984 model, glass, hull 712. It was in pretty good shape when I bought her for 80k. I've put over $30k into her and haven't had to seriously deal with engine/transmission/gen issues. Buying an old boat requires an enormous economic investment. Buying an old Woodie requires an even larger commitment. Go into this with eyes wide open and know what you are getting into.

I stayed away from the discussion. Owned a wooden beetle cat at one point in my life and that was enough. No interest in best anchor debate.

Now that PO owns it, I'll address one of his original questions. A rusty transmission can't be wire brushed and repainted with a rattle can, It needs to be sand blasted down to bare metal, properly primed and painted. It's a moist environment with a slow leak from the packing gland spraying a fine mist everywhere.

Rich Gano offered a couple of good tips such as replacing the damper plate. I would suggest replacing the clutch disks while you have it out. Removing it is the hard part. Replacing the disks is relatively simple and they are generic to just about all models. Gasket sets are readily available.

(And to Nuttin Fancy Too who opines we are all armchair admirals. Didn't you just suggest we all keep opinions to ourselves? Was that an example of forum protocol you expect us to follow? just asking )

Last edited:
To your point"spending $100,000 -$200,000 fixing it up"....the o.p. didn't say that. Anither nay-sayer did.
Which boat did he buy, the 12K or the 19k.

I did not infer the OP planned to spend 100-200, I stated that would be nuts for anyone except deep pockets intent on a restoration project conducted by others.
Last I looked in bilge a month ago it had 1/2 inch of water below base of forward pump. That was after an all night heavy rain. in the weeks after that I noted on my monitor that the pump operated twice for 15 seconds each during a week of heavy rains. I would think I don't have any leaks to be concerned about in the wood boat.

The best time to buy this boat is after the rich guy gets finished restoring her for pennies on the dollar of what he paid to get it restored.

If you aren't the rich guy...or the guy with the baddest set of tools in the neighborhood and a spot to park the boat next doors....then run.

Seriously...Not if it was "FREE".

So if the reports are true that the the OP bought the boat, then he MUST start a new thread to tell us how it all goes. I'm sure even the nay-sayers (myself included) wish you the best of success, and would love to follow progress.

Interesting thread...

Always fun to read the comments from guys who like to present subtle put-downs, like "tupperware", or "plastic" boat. Just like the self-righteous sailboaters who refer to all of us as "stinkpotters", etc. Ridiculous, in other words...

Me, I've owned mostly fiberglass boats since 1973. I own boats to use. A Shamrock sportfishing boat, a Boston Whaler, and a welded aluminum jet boat for fishing the rivers.

I also own some vintage British & German sports cars, including a couple undergoing excruciating long & drawn out "restorations".

Let me briefly tell you about a good friend of mine. He has about 14 vintage British sports cars. The typical Jaguars, Austin-Healey's & MG's. All are in various stages of disrepair. All were intended to be "retirement projects", yet all sit in various storage warehouses around the area. My friend is now 71, and shows no sign of actually restoring any of the cars. When he actually drives, it's a BMW Z4.

Dear old guy also had an old woodie yacht. A beautiful 40' custom trawler, that was left to him. He was convinced that the boat was very valuable, as it was built by a renowned builder, not a common production line boat like the GB's... :rolleyes:

When he got it, it had sat at the family dock for several years. Looked great from 50'. He had it towed to a "reputable" yard, who inspected it and started fixing it. Yard discovered a bunch of bad planks, fasteners, etc. They couldn't get the engine to run well, so they installed a "good" used engine. They did ton's of refinishing to the deck, cabin & flybridge. all in, this round of work cost him about $110,000.00. Give or take...

Then, they had it trucked home to the PNW (from SoCal) for another $28k.

Once in the Great NorthWet, he tried to run it a few times, but she still didn't perform well at all, even for an ancient wood single engine boat. I ran it a few times, and it just felt like a slug. So... He takes it to a renowned "wooden boat center" up on the Olympic Peninsula.

$130,000 MORE later... I finally get him to pull the plug and sell it. Three complete strip & repaints. A mediocre, basic electronics suite install, ANOTHER engine (this time a factory-rebuilt Cummins). More replanking & refastening. Etc, etc, etc... Ad nauseum...

So: my dear pal is in the tub o' wood for a whopping $268,000. Let that sink in for a minute...

I guesstimated the boat's value about $60k in reality. He lists it for $98k, because, you know: unreality has set in. After a few months of lowering the price, and a bunch of folks seeking the "romance" of a fine wooden yacht, it sells for $49,000. After the brokers chunk, he nets almost $42,000. We did get one nice afternoon picnic cruise on it though. That was lovely.

Ah, the romance of a wooden boat. The soft sound of dollar bills being carried off in the tide. The pride of knowing you've got style, and the guts to keep sanding to infinity, or keep writing checks. :thumb:

Post script: My dear old friend does have a lot of money. He also is a very smart guy, couple Master's degrees, etc... He just got caught up in the sentimental romance of being the guy with the cool "vintage" yacht...

Last edited:
42' GB Classic

My GB 42' is a 1978 classic. I agree with most of the experienced comments on old boats. Even though mine is a fiberglass hull I have some teak decks and they require a lot of recurring maintenance to keep them looking good and remain watertight. More important: you can expect everything else that has not been replaced, to wear out just due to age and weather.

Occurs to me this thread (or those like it) need some direction.

There are some boats that are worthy of restoration regardless if construction material. They are just simply classic designs or have a certain attribute that makes them worthy of restoration. Not economically, but certain boats that should not be lost to the proverbial wrecking ball. Old mahogany Chris Crafts come to mind.

There are also owners with a certain attachment to a boat that make irrational restoration decisions. They have reached a certain point in life where they can over improve simply to fulfill a dream.

And there are those with rose colored glasses who approach a project with what seem like reasonable expectations and only learn later they are in over their head. Worse, due to financial constraints, that happens very quickly.

None of the above is wood vs fiberglass, but I will note that going with wood is the Vegas equivalent of going from a $0.50 slot machine to a $5.00 slot machine. When you lose, you lose big and fast.

There are no good approaches, just variations of less-bad. Let's face it: owning a boat is second only to marrying the wrong spouse in the pantheon of bad financial decisions.

When Paul Djorka, billionaire owner of Patron Tequila wanted a super yacht, he didn't go for the 350 ft Vegas condo look. He wanted something he could captain himself and had a sense of nostalgia. He restored the last mahogany Chris Craft 57 Connie, likely at a cost of well over $1m. I respect that.

https://robbreport.com/motors/marine/boating-in-the-stars-230038/

Peter

So if the reports are true that the the OP bought the boat, then he MUST start a new thread to tell us how it all goes. I'm sure even the nay-sayers (myself included) wish you the best of success, and would love to follow progress.

Ditto!! OP - please keep us apprised and best luck ever!!

He bought it. We're now friends on Facebook. I'm glad he listened to US,not the "nay-sayers" that have nothing good to say about woodies.
I'm still thinking we should have our own Grand Banks Woodies forum.
What think you all ?

Ya you should have one! You can post pictures of you both working on all your 'projects' along with your invoices to west marine and other boat yards for us to admire..:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Occurs to me this thread (or those like it) need some direction.

There are some boats that are worthy of restoration regardless if construction material. They are just simply classic designs or have a certain attribute that makes them worthy of restoration. Not economically, but certain boats that should not be lost to the proverbial wrecking ball. Old mahogany Chris Crafts come to mind.

There are also owners with a certain attachment to a boat that make irrational restoration decisions. They have reached a certain point in life where they can over improve simply to fulfill a dream.

And there are those with rose colored glasses who approach a project with what seem like reasonable expectations and only learn later they are in over their head. Worse, due to financial constraints, that happens very quickly.

None of the above is wood vs fiberglass, but I will note that going with wood is the Vegas equivalent of going from a $0.50 slot machine to a $5.00 slot machine. When you lose, you lose big and fast.

There are no good approaches, just variations of less-bad. Let's face it: owning a boat is second only to marrying the wrong spouse in the pantheon of bad financial decisions.

When Paul Djorka, billionaire owner of Patron Tequila wanted a super yacht, he didn't go for the 350 ft Vegas condo look. He wanted something he could captain himself and had a sense of nostalgia. He restored the last mahogany Chris Craft 57 Connie, likely at a cost of well over $1m. I respect that.

https://robbreport.com/motors/marine/boating-in-the-stars-230038/

Peter
Interesting. I would've speculated that old Chris Craft's were made for the wrecking ball. Talk about mass production...

Grew up around a marina that had a "mahogany row". Owens and Chris Crafts galore. Even as a kid I thought "meh". Same with a 55-57 Chevy (Exception maybe for the Nomad). Horses for courses, I guess.

This is from a guy that has every Woodenboat magazine, and calendar, and small craft.

One of the Herreshoff boys nailed it with "frozen snot".

Steel boat is "super-frozen snot"... that too soon rusts and flakes.

Aluminum boat is "frozen lightweight snot"... that loves to corrode and dislikes paint.

Wood boat is "mulch-food"... wanting to be eaten by bugs and rot.

Fiberglass boat [i.e. polymer based plastic] is "a product mixture that lasts"... with reduced material deterioration rate and fewer maintenance requirements.

You make the call - I did!! :thumb: :dance:

Last edited:
The Wonderful 32

Two years ago I sold my 1972 woodie which I loved and owned for 24 years. Now have a 1988 GB42. I still love the 32. It’s not a big deal to pull the tranny for new seals and pressure plate. New tanks a bigger project that may cost the value of the boat unless you do it yourself. I had the house and top sides painted along with teak trim varnished. Three coats on the house, two on topsides. Did the rails myself every year. Paint job was $21,000 and looked wonderful $60.00 labor by an independent painter.
Some soft wood along the fly bridge side bottoms. Pieced in and glassed new wood, epoxy filled and painted. Looked great. If I were to do again I would remove the entire side panel on both sides, seal, prime and paint. look for soft wood on fly bridge seat supports. Rebuilt one side. They need ventilation. Also soft wood along aft cockpit sides at the deck. Removed and replaced sides of cockpit. Look for soft wood under cockpit decking along sides and forward along main bulkhead.
May need a new muffler depending on what’s been done. Also water pump may need new gear type rather than slotted shaft. Install an overflow tank for coolant if it doesn’t have one. American Diesel has both new style pump and tank conversion kit.
Pulled several screw at my selling survey and all bright and solid. Slightly pink around forward thru hull for head.
Never had any leaks in hull or soft wood.
Change all lighting to Led. Refinish teak floor after sanding old stuff off with orbital sander. As mentioned remove all half round around house and rebed with sikaflex. Removing window frames a chore depending on what’s been done by PO. Had one bedded with 2100 and destroyed about everything getting it off. Had to have new teak frame mad. Screw heads holding frames typically on inside of boat but some of mine had been screwed from the outside and plugged. Investigate motor mounts. May need replacing.
Replaced electrical panel and breakers. Installed macerating head and a second holding tank with separate macerating pump for discharge.
You will love this boat. Take your time and enjoy it.

Go for it, lifes short

The beauty of a woodie is that most of the work can be performed by an average Joe with some pretty rudimentary tools. There is nothing that cannot be repaired and or replaced and sure, there are crappy jobs that may need doing, but the satisfaction of completing a job is the real payday. I'm looking at another woodie now, going to the dark side and considering a classic sailboat, mahogany and oak, a beauty and while reasonably tight and trim, she'll surely consume many hours of time but I like woodworking, built cabinets in my youth, nice cabinets in a good shop so it's a win-win. Pride in ownership extends far beyond the checkbook and the gleaming plastic boat that, while practical, will not speak to your soul the way a woodie will. If you go into this with eyes wide open and she passes a rigorous survey without too many issues, run with it, not from it, you'll learn a lot and also swell with pride when people comment on what a beautiful classic you have.

The beauty of a woodie ... the satisfaction of completing a job is the real payday. ... you'll learn a lot and also swell with pride when people comment on what a beautiful classic you have.

Open up the chocolate box. Some like cabinet making and some like boating.

Well Forest, for many, the ability to create and enjoy has been lost or perhaps never existed. I have the luxury of several boats at hand and should I choose to take on a classic beauty to while away my time when not cruising, I'd hardly call it folly. Incidentally, when I pass my craftmanship still admired today in museums and several churches, it goes far beyond cabinet making.

Sometimes you gotta chase a rabbit down a hole, all the way. To see what it`s really like. Let`s hope it`s a good rabbit, and there`s no bunny.

If everyone followed the most practical and well advised course through life, this planet would be boring as heck.

What is with the aversion to oneself working on their own boat in this thread?

Discussion about tens or hundred of thousands of dollars changing hands to make something "right".

Do none of you have calloused hands? Or have none of you experienced the joy of making something "good" again?

I may not know the difference between a cravat and an ascot, but I can cut and set a bung.

If one man can build it, another man can repair it.

rocketsurgery-t-shirt-tn-400x400.jpeg

Two years ago I sold my 1972 woodie which I loved and owned for 24 years. Now have a 1988 GB42. I still love the 32. It’s not a big deal to pull the tranny for new seals and pressure plate. New tanks a bigger project that may cost the value of the boat unless you do it yourself. I had the house and top sides painted along with teak trim varnished. Three coats on the house, two on topsides. Did the rails myself every year. Paint job was $21,000 and looked wonderful $60.00 labor by an independent painter.
Some soft wood along the fly bridge side bottoms. Pieced in and glassed new wood, epoxy filled and painted. Looked great. If I were to do again I would remove the entire side panel on both sides, seal, prime and paint. look for soft wood on fly bridge seat supports. Rebuilt one side. They need ventilation. Also soft wood along aft cockpit sides at the deck. Removed and replaced sides of cockpit. Look for soft wood under cockpit decking along sides and forward along main bulkhead.
May need a new muffler depending on what’s been done. Also water pump may need new gear type rather than slotted shaft. Install an overflow tank for coolant if it doesn’t have one. American Diesel has both new style pump and tank conversion kit.
Pulled several screw at my selling survey and all bright and solid. Slightly pink around forward thru hull for head.
Never had any leaks in hull or soft wood.
Change all lighting to Led. Refinish teak floor after sanding old stuff off with orbital sander. As mentioned remove all half round around house and rebed with sikaflex. Removing window frames a chore depending on what’s been done by PO. Had one bedded with 2100 and destroyed about everything getting it off. Had to have new teak frame mad. Screw heads holding frames typically on inside of boat but some of mine had been screwed from the outside and plugged. Investigate motor mounts. May need replacing.
Replaced electrical panel and breakers. Installed macerating head and a second holding tank with separate macerating pump for discharge.
You will love this boat. Take your time and enjoy it.

Amazing info @Tim. Thank you very much!

Re the window frames, can you provide more info here. There is one window above the sink thats cracked and all the tracks need to be cleaned and new felt added. The surveyor also thought rebeding the portlights would be good, but not an urgent task. Do you have any info on how to get those out and does the trim all need to be remilled?

And yes, replacing the half round around the house would be the first project on the list. Thats worn and some crappy caulk jobs done in places. Any tips there appreciated.

And thanks for the continued feedback all!

The survey went surprisingly well. I had the yard on standby to cancel the haul out and the surveyor came in expecting the worst after my description. However....while the boat looks like **** its in shockingly good structural and mechanical condition.

The surveyor found no rot, planking, frames and butt blocks all in very good shape, bilge is dry, shaft log good, batteries and electrical good, flybridge was replaced 10 years ago and has no rot, $10k rebuilt Ford Lehman installed 5 years ago and is strong, new engine mounts last year, survey was done 2 years ago for insurance and all items identified were rectified, and the hull is in fantastic shape (but needs a new bottom job). Pulled 6 fasteners and couldn't get any to budge, which they felt was a great sign. All looked new and appeared some had already been replaced in the past.

The amazing thing is the project manager at KKMI has known and worked on the boat for 30 years. He thought it was a great boat and knew the current owner used the **** out of it (which is why he felt it was in such good structural and mechanical condition). He was sad to see the owner had to sell it and let it go cosmetically. They also provided me 10 years of service records.

The bad parts were already known: transmission leak, bad port tank and identified a leak in the hose fitting on the "good" starboard tank, surface corrosion on the transmission and rudder quadrant, need to replace/rebed the deck/house half round, sand, scrape paint or varnish every inch of the boat...basically everywhere you look is a project.

One of the worst parts was we found somebody has used bronze nails to fasten sections of the aft teak deck. That had everyone scratching their heads. After some deliberation everyone felt it should be left as is. The teak wasnt leaking, the caulking was good, so they felt the best course was to leave it be. Trying to remove would cause a lot more damage. So the recommendation is just to clean, bleach and treat with semco every 6 months.

We also found the tanks had already been replaced sometime 10+ years ago. While the port tank didnt last, the good part of the bad part is there is at least 1ft of clearance above them so its looking like they can be slid straight back out of the aft lazaret and replaced with plastic tanks. But thats looking like a project for a few years from now.

Next step is engine survey and insurance quotes on monday.

So not there yet, but a good step. I was also very impressed with the surveyor, broker and project manager at KKMI. They were all wood boat owners and were happy to share their knowledge and passion. Thats a big plus when taking on a project like this.

So I think we will have a final decision next week. And if I do purchase, yes I will certainly create a new thread on the projects and progress. Some of you might enjoy a couple "I told you so's" along the way :). But I appreciate the support all the same.

Last edited:
What is with the aversion to oneself working on their own boat in this thread?

Discussion about tens or hundred of thousands of dollars changing hands to make something "right".

Do none of you have calloused hands? Or have none of you experienced the joy of making something "good" again?

I may not know the difference between a cravat and an ascot, but I can cut and set a bung.

If one man can build it, another man can repair it.

View attachment 110920

Those that can do
Those that can't say run away.

Back
Top Bottom