Old 02-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #241

City: Costa Mesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruce View Post
Thanks so much! I have to figure out how to read that now. Electricity is still dark witchcraft to me

Let me know if you need anything else manual wise I have all the original manuals and engine manuals my boat was a one owner boat up to the guy I got it from he only had it for a year. I have all original documents. Also I rebuilt my injectors so if you ever need to do that I can give you the procedure it is really easy made a difference I had 2 of them that where not spraying correctly. Good luck great to have another woody in good condition.

Pilon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #242
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilon42 View Post
Let me know if you need anything else manual wise I have all the original manuals and engine manuals my boat was a one owner boat up to the guy I got it from he only had it for a year. I have all original documents. Also I rebuilt my injectors so if you ever need to do that I can give you the procedure it is really easy made a difference I had 2 of them that where not spraying correctly. Good luck great to have another woody in good condition.
Pilon, does it say/show anywhere where the temp sensor is installed on the Borg Warner 71 or 72C. My manual refers to one, none installed at present.

Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:54 PM   #243
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Thanks so much! I have to figure out how to read that now. Electricity is still dark witchcraft to me
It's not an electrical schematic with all the arcane electrical symbols; you just follow the wires from place to place.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #244

City: Costa Mesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Pilon, does it say/show anywhere where the temp sensor is installed on the Borg Warner 71 or 72C. My manual refers to one, none installed at present.

I will look for you tonight and let you know.
Pilon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #245
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Regarding tranny temp sensor/switch

While there was a flat spot of the side of my Borg Warner trannies on my 1972 GB42, there was no such item attached at any time in the boat's life as far as I could tell, nor have I ever seen one on the numerous trannies I have seen on other boats. Not that such an installation is not a good idea, just that maybe not really considered necessary. The fact that the spot was flat with surface mounting screw holes on either side and not a threaded hole into the units makes me think it was designed for an overheat switch rather than a sensor.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #246
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Hope this helps... BW Velvet Drive

http://www.marineryachts.com/borg_manual.pdf
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #247
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
This is the sensor, there are several holes into which it can go where cooling hoses can go. While I have the service manual and it refers to the sensor, no specific location is mentioned.
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp sensor.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	114525
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #248

City: Palma
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks GB32
Quote:
Well hello! We recently put a 1972 GB32 under contract and have tons of questions. The boat was used as a SUP charter boat and McCovey Cove party barge for Giants games here in SF. Its called the Barbary Ghost and its...infamous.

Sadly the owner's charter business has been shut down during COVID and he is unloading the boat. We've offer $12k conditional on survey and he accepted. I'm hopeful thats a reasonable price for the work we need to do. We plan on learning and doing as much of the work we can, but have started to identify people we can hire out specific jobs for reasonable rates.

Cosmetically its rough but it had a rebuild Ford Lehman 120 and the bottom inspected and repaired 5 years ago. It had another bottom job and inspection 2 years ago. So im hopeful there are no structural issues but the survey will tell next week.

I could use some help to get me oriented and up to speed on the project. I was looking for the GB Woody and GB forum but both look like they no longer work? Thats such a shame. From the comments they seem like they were amazing resources. Is this forum the next best resource today?

Ok so here are the questions I would love some feedback on. If you think we're being naive, by all means, share your opinion. I like to go into these projects knowing all my blind spots.

What I know:
  • The deckhouse, flybridge and all the brightwork needs to be stripped, sanded, repainted and revarnished. We have a team of 3 guys who will help us bang this heavy lifting over 1-2 weeks so we are back to a clean slate. That will make the project far less daunting.
  • I heard the flybridges are prone to rot. Luckily this one seems solid. Im wondering if it was already replaced at some point.
  • The interior needs to be completely stripped, repainted and revarnished. It looks like a fraternity house right now. We will do that ourselves.
  • The decks are so-so. They need to be bleached and the proud caulking trimmed. And then likely be recaulked as a longer term project.
  • The topsides aren't terrible. So that might be a job for next year. But all the bronze rub-rails need to to have pealing paint stripped off them.
  • All the stainless rails where painted black. I dont know why. They need to be stripped.
  • The port fuel tank is shot. We will need to cut it out and likely replaced with plastic tanks? But thats not an urgent job.
  • The bilge is dry
  • I dont see any visible rot. I can see an area near the starboard transom that had been refilled and an area on near the base of the starboard windshield. The place is to fair those properly.

What I dont know:
  • The transmission has a leak. I "think" that can just be uncoupled and the seal replaced.
  • The transmission has a lot of surface rust. I believe its a Borg Warner velvet drive. Im hopeful we can just wire it clean and repaint. Any tips appreciated.
  • I can see some crappy caulk jobs in the foredeck and can feel some moisture in the roof of the v-birth. That concerns me. Any tips appreciated.
  • The starboard v-birth port light also looks like it had rot around the trim at been filled.
  • How do I clean and rebuild the sliding windows? They have a lot of crud in the track and I couldnt move them.
  • Any tips on how you clean and rebel the 3 forward facing windows. Those look ok, no rot, but have years of gunk around the edges.
  • I know the transom is prone to issues. Anything to look for there?

Appreciate any tips to get us going in the right direction. If the survey checks out, I will put together some write-ups on the refit progress.
Hi! Iíve bought GB32-57 some twenty years ago in Florida and brought her to Europe. She was in very good condition but the paint and exterior varnish. Over the years I found out many repairs had been wrongly done or used wrong materials. More than ten years ago, I decided to refurbish her to mint condition. It became a bigger and bigger job as I digged deeper and deeper in long forgotten parts and every time it looked like I could see and end to my work, it just appeared a new structural problem. Iíve kept working on her, not sailing and still itís difficult to see a near end, although all the structural problems have been fixed. (Two of the big ones could have had a beautifully restored woodie under water with no time to even think about the cause!).
I was thinking on buying another 32 on the PNW and keep her there as a summer boat. I found out what many have said; even with a beautiful well cared for expensive woodie, there are insurance and mooring problems, so I have shelved my idea for a while, (also, COVID hasnít helped traveling to find the right boat). One of my jobs is surveying boats. Even the best surveyor could not estimate the cost of restoring a woodie, (Iím talking as a surveyor and shipwright who surveyed and fixed a good cared for woodie).
As someone recommended in this post, and from my own experience, if youíre committed to a GB woodie, Iíd go for the best you can find and still would be cheaper than completely refitting a ďwreckĒ.
(I saw this boat on yachtworld when I was looking for my PNW project. I discarded her straight away, only from the pictures shown!).
Also, as GB woodie lover, I know what you might have seen on the 32. Youíll never get back what it costs you but youíll sure enjoy owning one.
Good luck!

P.S.: Please, feel free to contact me should you need any advise on the refitting project. Iíll be happy to share my experiences.
Onofre Segura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #249

City: Mahůn, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Onofre, I am "next door" to you in Menorca. I also have a GB woodie and would like to hear about your experiences. I find that obtaining materials here in Europe is not as easy as in the US and now that the UK has left us, even harder.

Maybe you can start a new thread on your restoration (with lots of pictures ).
Old 02-23-2021, 04:43 PM   #250

City: Palma
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks GB32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
Onofre, I am "next door" to you in Menorca. I also have a GB woodie and would like to hear about your experiences. I find that obtaining materials here in Europe is not as easy as in the US and now that the UK has left us, even harder.

Maybe you can start a new thread on your restoration (with lots of pictures ).
Hi! Happy to hear from you! Are you restoring yours? What size is she? Where are you based in Menorca?
Yes, I have a zillion pictures. I guess after I finish restoring her Iíll classify them, (while at anchor in some secluded cove, maybe Trebeluger), and start a long thread. So far Iím happy to share information with rebuilders.
Onofre Segura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #251
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Barbary Ghost
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilon42 View Post
That is too kind! My two open engine questions right now are:

1) How much smoke at startup is normal smoke. I see some white smoke and a little diesel in the water after startup. But I typically only start it every 1-2 weeks while we are in the midst of restoring it. Im wondering if thats just normal Lehman.

2) We took the boat over to the yard yesterday to get a bottom job and I when in gear at idle speed the whole boat rattles and clanks. Just a bit more throttle it smooths out. Is that just natural resonance?
thebruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #252
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onofre Segura View Post
Hi! Iíve bought GB32-57 some twenty years ago in Florida and brought her to Europe. She was in very good condition but the paint and exterior varnish. Over the years I found out many repairs had been wrongly done or used wrong materials. More than ten years ago, I decided to refurbish her to mint condition. It became a bigger and bigger job as I digged deeper and deeper in long forgotten parts and every time it looked like I could see and end to my work, it just appeared a new structural problem. Iíve kept working on her, not sailing and still itís difficult to see a near end, although all the structural problems have been fixed. (Two of the big ones could have had a beautifully restored woodie under water with no time to even think about the cause!).
I was thinking on buying another 32 on the PNW and keep her there as a summer boat. I found out what many have said; even with a beautiful well cared for expensive woodie, there are insurance and mooring problems, so I have shelved my idea for a while, (also, COVID hasnít helped traveling to find the right boat). One of my jobs is surveying boats. Even the best surveyor could not estimate the cost of restoring a woodie, (Iím talking as a surveyor and shipwright who surveyed and fixed a good cared for woodie).
As someone recommended in this post, and from my own experience, if youíre committed to a GB woodie, Iíd go for the best you can find and still would be cheaper than completely refitting a ďwreckĒ.
(I saw this boat on yachtworld when I was looking for my PNW project. I discarded her straight away, only from the pictures shown!).
Also, as GB woodie lover, I know what you might have seen on the 32. Youíll never get back what it costs you but youíll sure enjoy owning one.
Good luck!

P.S.: Please, feel free to contact me should you need any advise on the refitting project. Iíll be happy to share my experiences.
Thanks so much! Yea the pictures on this boat were terrible, and it looked even worse in person But luckily its a good hull, great engine, just a LOT of stripping and sanding. We got it for a price that gave us a lot of room to invest in making a nice little boat without breaking the bank...as long as we were comfortable with a LOT of work.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #253
Veteran Member

Quick update: things were a little slower last week as I was on vacation but...

- We got the flybridge seats rebuilt and repainted. We still need to sand and paint new non-skid, paint the inside of the seats and inside of the console. Im not looking forward to getting my 6'2" body inside there to clean and paint it...

- We patched up the old hole in the console where the gauge cluster went. Installed a navpod instead. Looking slick. I cant decide if im going to keep the old gauges and mount them on the front of the console (vertically) or just get rid of them and use an EMU1 for digital engine data.

- Got the paint on the bowsprit stripped back to teak for the first time in probably 15+ years and looks awesome.

- We got a coat of sealer on all the teak. Just with that it looks great.

- We did the first spot of deck sanding. Wow I think they will clean up great.

- We brought the boat over to KKMI yesterday for a bottom job, new boot stripe, new transducer, new deck molding, and some electrical. (I found a short the hard way...by electrocuting myself . It was fun to see everyone excited at KKMI. They saw the boat exactly 2 months ago during the survey and it was a hot mess.

Some pics below of the before / after. The cabinet
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0136.jpg   IMG_0138.jpg   IMG_9710.jpg   IMG_9676.jpg   IMG_9332.jpg  

IMG_8646.jpg   Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.57.46 PM.jpg  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #254
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Cummen right along!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:30 PM   #255
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Cummen right along!
Thanks Art. Im dreading stripping the paint off that wheel
Old 02-23-2021, 11:28 PM   #256
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
You need a witch!!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:38 PM   #257
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Art. Im dreading stripping the paint off that wheel
I took the flying bridge wheel of my GB to a furniture stripper to get all the old varnish off. Then I spent a LOT of time detail sanding it. After a coat of CPES and another bit of sanding, I sprayed the new varnish coats on.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:55 AM   #258
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I took the flying bridge wheel of my GB to a furniture stripper to get all the old varnish off. Then I spent a LOT of time detail sanding it. After a coat of CPES and another bit of sanding, I sprayed the new varnish coats on.
Furniture stripper businesses usually use a caustic dip tank, I`ve seen furniture with a flaky white bloom and loose joints after dipping. But sanding all the varnish off a wheel would be an awful job.
I recently had to revarnish the moulding around the windows in the aft cockpit doors. Glass one side of the wood, "teak" laminate on the doors the other. Had to hand sand the old varnish off, incl the 4 round corners. Even masking both glass and laminate,a difficult and boring job. But,it looks good with fresh varnish!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #259
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Furniture stripper businesses usually use a caustic dip tank, I`ve seen furniture with a flaky white bloom and loose joints after dipping. But sanding all the varnish off a wheel would be an awful job.
I recently had to revarnish the moulding around the windows in the aft cockpit doors. Glass one side of the wood, "teak" laminate on the doors the other. Had to hand sand the old varnish off, incl the 4 round corners. Even masking both glass and laminate,a difficult and boring job. But,it looks good with fresh varnish!
Yup, they dipped that varnish-encrusted teak wheel in their caustic solution, and then they dipped it again. No ill effects, and the wheel looked new when I was done with it rather than the blemished look of a wheel that someone attempted to sand the varnish from.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:40 AM   #260
Veteran Member

Quick update

- New bottom paint looking great.
- Bootstripe goes on next week
- New b60 transducer installed
- New teak molding for the deck/cabin joint was milled
- Did a test sanding of the decks and I think they are going to clean up nicely.
- Got some new bronze rubrail for the spray rail. One side was broken and luckily the yard had some.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0222.jpg   IMG_0225.jpg   IMG_0233.jpg   IMG_0234.jpg   IMG_0228.jpg  

63616440112__7AA14EE3-6C48-405B-A361-04A9E2BC615D.jpg