GB32 Is that door panel imitation wood veneer like arborite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tillerman

Vessel Name
Pending
Vessel Make
GB 32 - looking to upgrade
I always thought the door panel was a bad choice of material, color and wood grain (imitation?) on these Grand Banks door panels and chart table/console tops.

I just stripped the panel planning to varnish the whole door on mine but the panel doesn't seem like a hard wood veneer but more like Arborite.

Can anyone clarify this and tell me if this panel will take Epiphanes varnish and if not what primer should be used.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Tiller,
You'll find good information on the GB forum. I'm wondering if that's the original door. Does the center panel match other wood on your boat? I'm thinking it may have been replaced but I see you have other panels the same.

As to varnish adhering read the "surface preparation" and comply. Clean, oil free and dry is usually required. However if it was treated with Armorall or similar a more thorough cleaning than customary. Or sanding. I'm think'in varnish adhering should not be a problem.

If you're thinking there's something special about Epiphane's there isn't. Other than it's one of the better varnishes. An excellent oil based product.

GB door panel

Tiller,
You'll find good information on the GB forum. I'm wondering if that's the original door...

Thanks Eric. Yes its the original door. As I mentioned in the GB Owners forum , I thought of gluing mahogany veneer over it, waxing it, using Penetrol or NuFinish as suggested by Bob Lowe… or even better, since we call ours the Gypsy Wagon, maybe painting a nice piece of artwork on it might be fitting ?... :? :rolleyes:

Gypsy Wagon

Thanks Eric. Yes its the original door. As I mentioned in the GB Owners forum , I thought of gluing mahogany veneer over it, waxing it, using Penetrol or NuFinish as suggested by Bob Lowe… or even better, since we call ours the Gypsy Wagon, maybe painting a nice piece of artwork on it might be fitting ?... :? :rolleyes:

This door art would be nice...:flowers:

I always thought the door panel was a bad choice of material, color and wood grain (imitation?) on these Grand Banks door panels and chart table/console tops.

I just stripped the panel planning to varnish the whole door on mine but the panel doesn't seem like a hard wood veneer but more like Arborite.

Can anyone clarify this and tell me if this panel will take Epiphanes varnish and if not what primer should be used.

Thanks.

It's not real wood. But some brand of mica.

There are other areas on a GB that it was sometimes used.

Would that be two-mica, three-mica or formica?

Tillerman--- On the GB forum you talked about the color your interior is painted. I put up a post after that but don't know if you're watching that forum.

You said your paint looks to be a sort of gray. I'm wondering if it's actually Grand Banks Beige, which was the color American Marine used originally to paint the interior panels of their Grand Banks boats. It's a sort of beige with a bit of green in it and I suppose could appear grayish in certain light.

We quite like the color and continue to use it when we repaint or touch up the interior of our boat. We've been on some boats with a white-painted interior and it strikes us as being too bright and stark looking. But of course color is totally subjective.

It's almost impossible to judge color by a photo as there are so many variables from the light to the lens to the camera sensor to the viewer's eyes to you name it. The photo below is the most accurate I've got of the interior of our boat showing what Grand Banks Beige looks like. You may be able to see the slight hint of green in it.

We hare currently having all new seat cushions and backs made to compliment the panel color and lighten up the interior a bit. The cushions in the photo are what were on the boat when we bought it 17 years ago. The foam was tired then, it's totally dead now.

Attachments

• GB Beige.jpg
    GB Beige.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
If you want to paint the mica panel just wipe it down good with some thinner or deglossing agent, sand it to give it some tooth, wipe it down again and paint it.

Or you could make a new laminate insert to go over it in the color or finish of your choice.

The door panel below the window is a plywood panel on our Willard. Removed 98% of the upper panel that had a small round porthole and inserted a plexiglass or Lexan panel. We're going to remove the door in a few days to refinish and plan to paint the lower plywood panel Interlux Sundowner Buff (like the cabin sides). As can be seen in the second pic the inside of the lower panel is white. The remaining part of the upper white panel can clearly be seen as a white line around the upper window. Picture was taken in Craig AK several years ago.

Attachments

• STH71232 copy.jpg
    STH71232 copy.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 143
  • STH71251 copy.JPG
    STH71251 copy.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
... until a lucky buyer comes along :)

Tillerman--- On the GB forum you talked about the color your interior is painted... I'm wondering if it's actually Grand Banks Beige, which was the color American Marine used originally to paint the interior panels of their Grand Banks boats. It's a sort of beige with a bit of green in it and I suppose could appear grayish in certain light...

First allow me to say what a wonderful family photo, made me forget for a moment that this was about a mundane painting topic... :flowers:

Yup! That's the GB colour that you describe so well. I see Pettit makes it.

The thing is though our boat is for sale and these are a few cosmetic touchups that have been at the bottom of our todo list for a while :rolleyes: Now they're things to do until a lucky buyer comes along :blush:

First allow me to say what a wonderful family photo, made me forget for a moment that this was about a mundane painting topic... :flowers:

That's not a family photo. At least not our family. The girls are the daughters of good friends of ours. They're grown up now with careers in, from left to right, health care, fashion design and horse breeding/training. And the puppy, which is ours, is now 11 years old.

We use Brightside Grand Banks Beige. It's a gloss paint but can be flattened to the desired degree with a flattening agent.

Last edited:
Be aware that most of the GB beige you buy is gloss not flat. And you have to add flattening agent to it. I've had better luck matching it by taking a sample of it to a paint store and getting them to mix a quart up.

Back
Top Bottom