GB 42 w/ roplene construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldsailor

Hello, all.
I'm in the process of transitioning from sail to power and am shopping for a trawler.
I found a GB 42 nearby that was constructed in roplene/LDPE.
Not being familiar with this material, especially on large boats, I'd appreciate thoughts from the group on the pros and cons of this material.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. GB and LDPE? Something doesn't sound right so somebody got some 'splainin' to do...

200.gif

Last edited:
I think the info is questionable and have contacted the seller for clarification/correction. Info on the boat also says it was repainted with Awlgrip in 2011, which doesn't make sense with LDPE.

Having never heard of "roplene/LDPE," I look forward to learning something from this thread.

I think the info is questionable and have contacted the seller for clarification/correction. Info on the boat also says it was repainted with Awlgrip in 2011, which doesn't make sense with LDPE.

I think RT Firefly is correct, this doesn't sound like its normal. Owner or broker needs to clarify for you to your satisfaction.

Roplene (Roto molded polyethylene) is not totally unusual for small boat building, but certainly not in Grand Banks unless some decking or above WL hull repairs were made. If you've heard of HDPE, you know what LDPE is. Common for pipes and packaging. Lots of piping for irrigation and potable water systems is LDPE. It has been around in piping for probably 60 or more years.

Ropelene is used in rotocasting Triumph boats. It has never been used to make a Grand Banks. It flexes too much for a vessel of that size.

Thanks for all the responses. I think the info on the listing was incorrect about the ropelene. I'm certain it's a fiberglass boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom