GB 42 Classic aft deck Bimini cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
My bride and I are 1,700 miles into the Great Loop and we joke that our only arguments have been on which of us loves this more! Yes….. I’m a very blessed man. Even in spite of the lack of mechanical aptitude I possess that you frequent users are aware of, and my occasional hairy dock arrivals you probably aren’t surprised by, she’s a steadfast “all in’”.
Given this we both also agree that we will finish the Loop and if still as enamored with cruising me might get a different boat. There’s no need for bigger, and if bigger happens because it checks other things off the list then it won’t be by much. We have enjoyed observing other type boats and if they appeal to both of us start doing a bit of research and prompting dockside discussions on them when we can. I’ve known for a long time the oft quoted “everything’s a trade off with boats”. If I’m still surprised by anything it’s how often that is acutely apparent.

So we have what we call our ranked checklist. Initially we tried to also break this list down into “wants and needs”. Being as honest as we could we soon realized that in reality they were all really wants. It’s okay to indulge wants, but it’s helped us to realize that almost all on the list are wants, and we are having such a blast without them, they definitely aren’t needs. Initial euphoria may wane and we then start convincing ourselves things needs, but I suspect we will stay pretty consistent. Plus she’s the frugal one so she will keep me in check.
So…yesterday a beautifully restored GB 36 Classic docks near us and in short order we are having a drink and walking between each others boats. As we have juggled our list in the aforementioned way, we both still wish we had a covered aft deck model boat. A great example would be the GB Europa. This 36 Classic that came in had a Bimini over the aft deck. I didn’t find it attractive, but I didn’t find it so unattractive that I’m not intrigued by the thought. Interestingly even though we are a 42, the distance between the aft end of the aft cabin to the transom rail is the same with each meaning we have no more depth to utilize however the space we could cover is wider given our beam compared to his.

Before someone suggests we enhance and use the fly bridge deck, we have done that, enjoy that, but would like a main level option. I even think given our “king of trade offs” two berth aft cabin is a plus in this regard given the option of going up via the cabin steps to the now covered deck. Additionally, it will also provide shade and even protection from light rain for the aft cabin.

I’m hopeful some of you 42 owners have done this and can share pointers and maybe pictures? We store our RIB on a transom mount so that isn’t an issue. We’ve seen quite a few 42’s on our journey but none with aft Bimini’s so I know it’s not common. Just as helpful as pointers and pictures of how to do it would be comments by those who considered but opted not to for reason we’d love to hear.

You are correct, everything is a trade off.

I love the lines and practicality of our Europa. But after considerable time on several 42 classics, they have way more room and are easier to live in.

To me, a 42 Classic is perfect for the loop. Plenty of interior room to get away, entertaining, and for guests. A 36 Europa is much more compartmentalized, and more than a weekend with another couple is usually too long.

But for the Gulf Coast, a Europa is the way to go. Huge flying bridge, large covered back deck and sides.
It is a gunkholers dream.

Our former GB42 in full canvas. The boom tent could have been extended aft. I always admired the GB42 Europa,

Attachments

• DSC01703.jpg
    DSC01703.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 44
We purchased a 36 last August to do the Loop. Previous couple had lived on it for 15 years. While it is not a "bristol" boat, it has had many upgrades for long cruising, one of which is taking the original flybridge bimini and mounting it on the aft cabin as you have described. They also incorporated a large solar panel mounted above the forward of the bimini. As you mentioned, it does give shelter to the aft deck and companionway. The only drawback is having to duck under the aft most bows to access the port and starboard side decks.
I will provide what pics I have. You may be able to view the Edwards Yacht Sales web site to view sold boats pics. 1979 GB #599 "OLD BAY", as she is now known, is moored in Crisfield MD. Several projects are slated for this spring. We hope to head north in June. If you are in the area, stop by.
FYI new flybridge enclosure will be white. 20220916_163451.jpg20220914_083438.jpg20220906_075245.jpg20220905_192340.jpg20220917_070923.jpg20220909_121736.jpg

Our last boat was a sundeck trawler. We loved the aft deck for sitting and talking with friends. The view was great from there. I have a history of skin cancer so being able to sit outside and be out of the sune was wonderful.

I don't have a 42 so can't help with the details but I can say we spend a lot of time on the aft deck under the awning. Great for shade or rain. Ours is fastened to upper deck overhang via twist snaps and SS poles mounted on swim platform and SS frame around exterior. Aluminum poles fore to aft keep it from sagging.

This spring I will move the poles off the swim platform and mount them on the aft deck as close to transom as possible. I plan to mount davits for the dinghy so I need to free up the swim platform. I will have to recut the awning and install new zippers.

The awning is attached to the frame with zippers except at T's where there is a snap. It has withstood 50/60mph winds without any issues. Very easy to remove and install for winter storage. The set screws securing the frame to the T's tend to back out even with locktite (not much wall thickness) so I carry a lot of spare setscrews.

Bouts with melanoma and carcinoma mean shade is mandatory for us.

You could do a removable shade cover pretty easily. Take 4 fishing rod holders and put them on the side rail stanchions. Then 4 poles of appropriate length. Mount a pulley on the top of the poles and a jam cleat a ways down the pole. Make a square of Sunbrella or something like Pfifertex and attach 4 small lines one to each corner. Thread the lines through the pulleys and cleat them off at the jam cleats. Adjust the lines so the shade cloth is properly stretched and there you go. Pfifertex isn’t rain proof but it does allow air flow through it. It comes in 2 different percentages of sun blocking.

Aft bimini

7B2F18A7-3590-4D8A-A6C7-80793FAD475E.jpg

I wasn’t sure at first. I thought it detracted from the lines of the boat. Wouldn’t do with out it now. The post 87s don’t have enough deck space, the older hull is very functional.

Timed out before I could add a profile shot.B236E527-460E-40F0-93D4-68C0D6C2D451.jpg

This photo shows the temporary shade I was talking about in my post above. The one in the photo is attached to the flybridge but could be standalone with 4 poles instead of just 2.

Attachments

• CD52BACD-260A-471B-942F-0C7A5776892A.jpg
    CD52BACD-260A-471B-942F-0C7A5776892A.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 18
Dredging this up because I'm definitely having some canvas work done overwinter (desperately need some window covers) and a flycover for the aft deck like the photo in #10 above is on the might-as-well list.

My original thought was to have it snap onto the aft edge of the handrail, but having it up on a pair of posts sometimes would be nice as well... a PO left a pair of fishing rod holders in the corners of the deck... I'd need to make some accommodation for the boom lines somehow...

Has anyone seen anything like this out in the wild? Maybe have photos even?

Back
Top Bottom