GB 42 classic 1984

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankieP

I am new to trawler forum and I have been reading many threads regarding GB42 classics. There seems to be few newer GB42 classics available this year, ?Covid 19 effect. Anyway, my broker notified me of a 1984 GB42 with a single CAT 3208, 210 hp with 4750 hrs. What do you all think? Most GB 42 I have previously seen have had twin screws. Also, as a single engine with 4750 hrs will this need a rebuild soon? Thanks.

Personally I like the single-engine boat. Much simpler mechanically and easier to work on. If that cat was maintained properly it has plenty of life left in it. Certainly a compression test will tell the story

Welcome aboard. It would depend on the engine to me. Twin 6 cylinder engines in that boat would be serviceable but tight. Twin V8s in that boat would be a no go for me due to serviceability. If you go with a single and don’t like it you can always add a bow and/or a stern thruster. The 3208 is a good engine particularly if it isn’t turbocharged and aftercooled.

I saw a GB 42 in Seattle back in 2012. I don't imagine there are too many with single 3208's. But the one I saw was named "Sachelle" and was listed as a 1979 Classic, and it was 210HP and had 3300 hours at the time.

OK, so further checking my archives I noticed there was also a "Sachelle 2" in them. I don't think it was a second boat, just another advert by a different broker. In fact comparing photos in the listings I see that it was the same boat! It was also stated to be a 1979 with a single Cat, but this advert said it was 420HP and had 3230 hours. I don't recall the name of the broker who showed it to me.

The particularly odd thing about the boat was that the engine was mounted really high. I remember thinking that you could crawl right underneath the engine and out the other side, if you wanted to. I did not figure out why, the broker did not really know , but I'm guessing it had an offset transmission.

If its the same boat you are looking at I could post the old listing details if you are interested.

I am new to trawler forum and I have been reading many threads regarding GB42 classics. There seems to be few newer GB42 classics available this year, ?Covid 19 effect. Anyway, my broker notified me of a 1984 GB42 with a single CAT 3208, 210 hp with 4750 hrs. What do you all think? Most GB 42 I have previously seen have had twin screws. Also, as a single engine with 4750 hrs will this need a rebuild soon? Thanks.

If no bow thruster, no deal. My GB42 classic was a twin and handled like a dream with them. On a single, it was a dog, and of course, maneuvering that way (no thrusters in most twins) was impossible.

I am surprised that someone selling a boat in that price range didn’t do a much better listing...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom