Old 03-13-2022, 10:13 PM   #1

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
GB 36 deck drain holes obstructed

Hey folks, my 1982 has small drain holes in the outside gutters at the stbd and port boarding gates, the lowest spots in the deck. They are too small and don't have any sort of grate. I have always been able to clear blockages before with a straightened wire coat hanger and a bucket of water but, I may have let it go too long this time, or maybe this marina is dirtier than my previous locations. I can't get them to drain. The boat is in a slip and the exit is apparently into a thru hull very near the waterline that probably drains the sink in the aft head. I haven't taken apart the bunks and drawers in the aft cabin, where I'm guessing I'll find the plumbing, but that would be a big job.

Is anyone intimately familiar with these drains and how to open them up without too much tearing up the interior. I'm a little afraid to apply much air or water hose pressure, but that seems to be where I'm heading next. Thanks, Tim
Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:27 PM   #2

City: Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 classic
try inserting the fw hose nozzle into the hole a jet water thru. It you hold in tight to the hole it will generate some pressure and free the passages. I the drain outlet is at the waterline check also for barnacles in the outlet. use a screw drive or similar to insert into the opening.
DennisB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:55 PM   #3

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Mahanda
Vessel Model: GB 36 Classic
Resurrecting this slightly aged thread: I have wet decks at this spot on my boat (a 1989 36 CL) and am hoping that clogged drain holes are the problem as well as the solution. But, um, I’m not seeing any (drains, that is). Does anyone know if the design change for the 36 in the mid-80’s did away with them?
Thanks in advance!
Moersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:05 PM   #4

City: Norwalk
Vessel Name: Summer Wind
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
drain holes obstructed

This is a common issue with G.B's Two things that work. A plunger and a snake.
Measure your drain hole and order a snake that works. I have had a diver clean drains. Any other ideas are welcome.
Omikeoreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:37 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moersea View Post
Resurrecting this slightly aged thread: I have wet decks at this spot on my boat (a 1989 36 CL) and am hoping that clogged drain holes are the problem as well as the solution. But, um, Iím not seeing any (drains, that is). Does anyone know if the design change for the 36 in the mid-80ís did away with them?
Thanks in advance!
One issue with GBs is the lack of deck drainage. There are a pair of screened holes in the aft corners. If your water tanks are not full, you get a puddle fwd of those holes. The lighter the stern, the further the puddle moves forward.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #6

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Mahanda
Vessel Model: GB 36 Classic
Exactly right, Koliver -- the water tanks were light, and filling them helped the issue but did not solve it. I'm on the path to installing drains at the boarding gate locations, and would be interested in thoughts and cautions on doing it.
Moersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:52 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moersea View Post
Exactly right, Koliver -- the water tanks were light, and filling them helped the issue but did not solve it. I'm on the path to installing drains at the boarding gate locations, and would be interested in thoughts and cautions on doing it.
On a previous boat, I had the same issue, so I cut scuppers through from the deck to the outside. I had no bulwarks and only 1" of FG to cut through, so filling the edges of the cut and sealing it was easy. My result was as if it had been designed in.
You may have a few inches to deal with, so that may not be a simple project.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:19 PM   #8

City: St Charles
Vessel Name: total maddness
Vessel Model: whitcraft 50
I have had success using a strong shop vac overtop of stuck sewers in residential setting form a seal with a wet towel and suck then fish then vacuum repeat works pretty well
tagillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have used tiewraps as a snake for small drain holes.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote